Lincoln LS COP Harness location?

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly where the cop harness connects to? I had someone change my valve cover gaskets and they accidentally got the harness in the valve cover and had torqued it down on the wire. They obviously figured this out when they could not get last 2 cops plugged back in. So they had to undo it and get the wire out but now I am having misfires on cylinders 1 & 2 and I can see 2 wires have indention's in them so I am thinking that is the cause. So I was wondering if anyone knew where the whole main harness runs on the passengers side on the 2001 LS V8. Otherwise gonna have to fix them 2 wires and hope for the best. Hoping it's not in a crazy place and that I can go to the junk yard and get the whole sides harness.

Does anyone know exactly where the cop harness connects to? I had someone change my valve cover gaskets and they accidentally got the harness in the valve cover and had torqued it down on the wire. They obviously figured this out when they could not get last 2 cops plugged back in. So they had to undo it and get the wire out but now I am having misfires on cylinders 1 & 2 and I can see 2 wires have indention's in them so I am thinking that is the cause. So I was wondering if anyone knew where the whole main harness runs on the passengers side on the 2001 LS V8. Otherwise gonna have to fix them 2 wires and hope for the best. Hoping it's not in a crazy place and that I can go to the junk yard and get the whole sides harness.
The harness branches off the main engine harness which runs on the back of the fire wall...

32D4D57B-065C-452E-AFD0-1977AA5B7F81.jpeg
Oh crap that sucks!
Sell now- Have one to sell?
Genuine Ford Engine Wire Harness 3.9L 1W4T12B637CB 2000-05 Lincol LS Thunderbird

Be the first to write a review.

Seller :
priorityautomotive2015 (9264 )
99.3% Positive feedback

Save this Seller
|
Contact seller
|
See other items
| Visit store
Condition:
New other (see details)

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Quantity:
3 available / 3 sold

Price:
US $79.67
Buy It Now-

Add to cart-

Add to watch list

View attachment 828571216
Sell now- Have one to sell?
Genuine Ford Engine Wire Harness 3.9L 1W4T12B637CB 2000-05 Lincol LS Thunderbird

Be the first to write a review.

Seller :
priorityautomotive2015 (9264 )
99.3% Positive feedback

Save this Seller
|
Contact seller
|
See other items
| Visit store
Condition:
New other (see details)

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Quantity:
3 available / 3 sold

Price:
US $79.67
Buy It Now-

Add to cart-

Add to watch list
Was thinking of checking the junk yard do you know where it plugs in on which side of the firewall? And is this the wires to the injectors as well?

Was thinking of checking the junk yard do you know where it plugs in on which side of the firewall?
I think the wires rum into the Main Connecter Housing which obviously is going to be integrated with the PCM some way or another... your best bet would be to splice new wire into your healthy existing wire with butt terminals they sell them at many auto stores or Other Big Box hardware stores

I think the wires rum into the Main Connecter Housing which obviously is going to be integrated with the PCM some way or another... your best bet would be to splice new wire into your healthy existing wire with butt terminals they sell them at many auto stores or Other Big Box hardware stores
Yeah I was thinking about cutting the harness on one at the junk yard on the side that is affected all the way back as far as I can so I will have more wiggle room for the splicing. I just don't like the idea of the wires getting crushed in the valve cover.... I mean if it affected 2 of them, then who's to say the others might go nuts at some point.

Yeah I was thinking about cutting the harness on one at the junk on the side that is affected all the way back as far as I can so I will have more wiggle room for the splicing. I just don't like the idea of the wires getting crushed in the valve cover.... I mean if it affected 2 of them, then who's to say the others might go nuts at some point.
What does your plugs look like on the cylinders that are misfiring? What codes are you getting?

What does your plugs look like on the cylinders that are misfiring? What codes are you getting?
The plugs themselves that go to the COp's look fine. It's the wires that are in the back of the cover that got chewed up. The ones that the harnesses all start from there was 2 wires in the mix that got caught up. I will pull the spark plugs out and look at them as well but there was no misfires before the wires got caught so I find the wires to be suspect. And also when I unplug the two COP's the misfire does not get any worse.

The plugs themselves that go to the COp's look fine. It's the wires that are in the back of the cover that got chewed up. The ones that the harnesses all start from There is 2 wires in the mix that got caught up.
The wires ( could’ve but I’m not there so I can’t say with diffinity ) have gotten damaged to the point they split inside the instillation which is resulting in a lower current to allow the COP to function properly...is there enough wire to strip the instillation back and use a butt splice terminal with healthy wire so to form a proper connection so the current can flow properly?

The wires ( could’ve but I’m not there so I can’t say with diffinity ) have gotten damaged to the point they split inside the instillation which is resulting in a lower current to allow the COP to function properly...is there enough wire to strip the instillation back and use a butt splice terminal with healthy wire so to form a proper connection so the current can flow properly?
That is what the guy that got the wires caught is gonna do in the morning. He said he was gonna try to pull the insulation back and see what happened and then use heat shrink as well. It was too dark outside tonight for him to attempt that.

That is what the guy that got the wires caught is gonna do in the morning. He said he was gonna try to pull the insulation back and see what happened and then use heat shrink as well. It was too dark outside tonight for him to attempt that.
Heat shrink is always a good idea

My wife’s starter went out today in her Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.7L be happy you don’t have to tackle this one...I literally have to remove the Drive Shaft out of the way in order to replace it :( lol

My wife’s starter went out today in her Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.7L be happy you don’t have to tackle this one...I literally have to remove the Drive Shaft out of the way in order to replace it :( lol
Ouch! Good Luck

From what I’ve dealt with in that harness, it’s a very tight fit as is. Depending on where the wires are chewed up, you will probably already end up removing half the harness to get room to strip, butt splice and heat shrink. Might be better off just R&R at that point.

The harness connects to the fire wall underneath the cabin filter housing. Remove the cowl and four (maybe 5) bolts to the housing and the connectors are underneath

I hope your COP drivers did not get fried from the short circuit.
Seriously doubt they did, considering I moved them around and the other cylinders are not affected with the COP. But if something did happen my COP's are new and should be under warranty. And the car since the wire got messed up has not been driven! There is no way I would drive a car with that bad of misfire I would never want to risk damaging the motor.

Last edited:
From what I’ve dealt with in that harness, it’s a very tight fit as is. Depending on where the wires are chewed up, you will probably already end up removing half the harness to get room to strip, butt splice and heat shrink. Might be better off just R&R at that point.

The harness connects to the fire wall underneath the cabin filter housing. Remove the cowl and four (maybe 5) bolts to the housing and the connectors are underneath

There is a good bit of room to play in relation to where they got chewed up. Most likely gonna get the whole harness from the junk yard anyway or gonna at least cut out the section that was affected and splice in a good set of wires. After I was able to see them in more daylight there was at least 3 wires that got messed up and a 4th one got some marks in the shielding of the wire. More of a peace of mind thing if I can manage to get the whole harness or at least the section that got pinched up.

Last edited:
Thanks @AmsterDutch I placed an order for a new harness with that link you provided. I don't really like the idea of spliced wires to begin with and this will give me new connections that are all good vs an about 20 year old set of old wires that are all cracked up anyway with age. Better to have a peace of mind on such a good car. Should I use dielectric grease on the new plugs?

Last edited:
Thanks @AmsterDutch I placed an order for a new harness with that link you provided. I don't really like the idea of spliced wires to begin with and this will give me new connections that are all good vs an about 20 year old set of old wires that are all cracked up anyway with age. Better to have a peace of mind on such a good car. Should I use dielectric grease on the new plugs?
That’s up to you... it’s a owners preference...personally I wouldn’t ...due to IPC standards would more than likely suffice ...due to the proper Wire gage (awg) should provide the correct insulation with the ampacity these components are creating

The point of dielectric grease is to seal water out, not to insulate anything. You just wouldn't want to use grease that was at all conductive. Put the grease on the mating parts of the bodies of the connectors, not on the contacts. (The little bit that does get on the contacts shouldn't hurt, just don't load them up with it.)

In the meantime I am gonna try to attempt the repair myself but will be changing the harness when it arrives. Does anyone know the size of the wire that the cop's run from? I am planning to go to the junkyard and cut the one side out and patch them in place of my broken wires. Also does anyone have a diagram of the wire layout so I know exactly what I am doing when I go for the attempted installation of the new harness when it comes in?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back