03 LS 3.9 coolant leak and washer bottle leak

Diplomat 1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys haven't posted here in a while , which means my ls was running fine lol, but I got a coolant leak and my washer bottle is leaking. I found the leak and it's between the thermostat housing and the plastic piece behind it. I believed it's the gasket/oring that's between them and not the plastic that is cracking. Anyone know the part motorcraft part number for that gasket/oring? I also picked up another windshield washer bottle to replace the old one. Anyone do this before? How hard is it? thanks for the help

-W707299-S300

But, you'll find that it is the plastic...

Windshield Washer Pump and Reservoir
s6x~us~en~file=adobe.gif~gen~ref.gif
Printable View (115 KB)

s6x~us~en~file=a0096131.gif~gen~ref.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 17A605 Windshield washer hose
2 W705641 Windshield washer reservoir screws (3 required)
3 17618 Windshield washer reservoir
4 17664 Windshield washer motor and pump assembly
5 17B610 Pump seal
Removal and Installation

1. s6x~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif
    CAUTION: Do not make electrical connections prior to filling the windshield washer reservoir. Do not operate the windshield washer pump prior to filling the windshield washer reservoir.

Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  1. Position the right-front splash shield aside. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .
  1. Disconnect the windshield washer hose and collect the windshield washer fluid in a container.
  1. Remove the 3 screws and the windshield washer reservoir.
    • To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the washer motor and pump assembly.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Last edited:
Hey joegr how are you? Thanks for the response only reason i don't think it's the plastic because I replaced it about 4-5 years ago but it could be the replacement cracked already. It was a motorcade part also. Do u have the part number for that plastic piece as well just incase it is cracked? Thanks

2W9Z-9N499-AC is the part from the top of the engine to the crossover/thermostat assembly

Hey joegr think that Oring is not the one I need. Here is a picture. I need the oring that's between the thermostat housing and the front plastic piece where the coolant cap is on.

IMG-5296.jpg

IMG-5297.jpg

Hey joegr think that Oring is not the one I need. Here is a picture. I need the oring that's between the thermostat housing and the front plastic piece where the coolant cap is on.

View attachment 828570859

View attachment 828570860

The manual refers to what you called "the front plastic piece where the coolant cap is on" as the Thermostat Housing and "the thermostat housing" as the Coolant Outlet Pipe. However, to make things interesting, in the parts list, they're referred to as the "thermostat cover" (3W4Z-8592-AA) and the "thermostat housing" (3W4Z-8548-AD) and ... on the Ford site "Connection - Water Outlet" and "Tube - Water Inlet".
Lesson here is to be as descriptive as possible; i.e. "gasket between the the thermostat housing and the piece behind it" is understood as something else.

Joe quoted the correct gasket: 2W9Z-8590-AB (#8, in the first diagram below).
Ford | Tasca | RockAuto (cheapest, and there's also a Mahle version for $1 - no comment)

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
s6x~us~en~file=n0005516.gif~gen~ref.gif

1 15161 Auxiliary coolant pump-to-thermostat housing hose clamp
2 18K580 Auxiliary coolant pump-to-thermostat housing hose
3 W503925 Lower radiator hose support bracket bolts (2 required)
4 15161 Lower radiator-to-thermostat housing hose clamp
5 8B273 Lower radiator-to-thermostat housing hose
6 W500014 Thermostat housing bolts (3 required)
7 8594 Thermostat housing
8 8A571 Thermostat housing O-ring seal <- what you're looking for

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
s6x~us~en~file=n0005512.gif~gen~ref.gif

1 9F813 Throttle body heater hose
2 8276 Degas bottle hose
3 15161 Upper radiator hose clamp
4 3W43 Upper radiator hose
5 W500015 Coolant outlet pipe bolts (4 required)
6 8A504 Coolant outlet pipe
7 W707299 Coolant outlet pipe seals (2 required)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back