5R55N Transmission question swapping out Gen1 with Gen 2 is it possible?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of 2 Gen LSes getting sold for $500 dollars, mainly ppl parting them out ...if someone knows so I don't have to research ...can you swap 2 Gen LS Transmission with 1 Gen do ALL LSes have the 5R55N Transmission?

From what I understand you can not. 2nd Gen is 5R55S and is controlled differently. Would be cool if you could.

Well, I'm sure you'll insist I'm wrong, but the answer is no. The 5R55S is a bit different. Your PCM won't know how to control it, and a gen II PCM wouldn't correctly interact with your LS.

If what you are looking for is a cheap replacement, you shouldnt be having an issue finding a Gen 1 on the cheap. I see alot more of them in my pick a parts than gen2. Think they blow the chains and owners let them go without damage. Also, from working with my mechanic on my 5R55N, I believe it was the navigator that used it too, it was some mass produced SUV for sure. Might even be a bigger source for a good cheap used one.

... Also, from working with my mechanic on my 5R55N, I believe it was the navigator that used it too, it was some mass produced SUV for sure. Might even be a bigger source for a good cheap used one.

Be warned that the one for the navigator will not bolt to the 3.9 in the LS.

If what you are looking for is a cheap replacement, you shouldnt be having an issue finding a Gen 1 on the cheap. I see alot more of them in my pick a parts than gen2. Think they blow the chains and owners let them go without damage. Also, from working with my mechanic on my 5R55N, I believe it was the navigator that used it too, it was some mass produced SUV for sure. Might even be a bigger source for a good cheap used one.
Yes you're right I see a lot of 1 Gens being sold for $500 on Craigslist ... I just figures if there were any upgrades I would be better off with a Gen 2 ...I See a 2000 LS for $500 is for sale Right now it has a rebuilt transmission with 30,000 on it just bought a point A to Point B car so hoping it doesn't sell for awhile ...You don't suppose there will be a PCM issue if I use a 2002 or 2000 in my 2001 do you?

A word about cars in a U-pull yard: they’re in there for a reason. If you need an engine or transmission be very wary of cars that are in there and NOT wrecked. Chances are if the car isn’t wrecked it’s in there because it’s broken. Rarely do perfectly good cars wind up in the u-pick although I have seen it. If you yank a tranny out it is going to be a lot of time and effort involved before you know if it’s going to work and even if there’s a warranty, that’s a lot of work to do over again. I suppose on the positive side you’d get to know your car real well

Good luck with it

A word about cars in a U-pull yard: they’re in there for a reason. If you need an engine or transmission be very wary of cars that are in there and NOT wrecked. Chances are if the car isn’t wrecked it’s in there because it’s broken. Rarely do perfectly good cars wind up in the u-pick although I have seen it. If you yank a tranny out it is going to be a lot of time and effort involved before you know if it’s going to work and even if there’s a warranty, that’s a lot of work to do over again. I suppose on the positive side you’d get to know your car real well

Good luck with it
So true...I'm still hoping after I drop the pan I won't see huge chunks but the P0741 is only code which all mech I talk to say it's more than likely a bad Torque converter ...the Mech said that the solenoid is working but maybe ..... Big Maybe the valve is clogged and a new solenoid pack would fix it....doing some wishful thinking here.... Just bought a car to get me to and from work so the moment of truth is coming this weekend when I drop the pan and have it up on jack stands....fingers are still crossed

Jared, it is true the pick a part is a crap shoot, but with the Gen 1 I see on the lots it far more likely the timing chain is an issue and when they find out the cost - bail. If you can get the mileage on the car (CA has laws it must be recorded in the salvage registration) A low mile one *should* have a good tranny.

Good luck with it
I just examined the fluid tonight and it's brown with a burnt smell... however I didn't see any metal like the AAMCO shop told me. ( All automatics Must Come Out ) as Joegr would say ...I did however pull into a European Imports dealer a.k.a " Nelsons Imports " and talked with the Owner and Mech, nice little family business ...he suggested doing a few fluid exchanges and drop pan change filter then using a BG product type of friction/Lube formula (that only auto shops are allowed to purchase) to lube up valves or what not and see if it allows the torque converter to Lock up....$256 is the price and I bring my own filter ....looks like my last option before dropping in a different Transmission

Sounds like you may have found someone that has a clue at least. One thing I would suggest you do with that fluid change is let the mech know if he feels the tranny is overall healthy by what he sees in the pan, do the valve body refresh with a shift kit. Will need to be done sometime soon (due to age) and no reason to pay 2x for pan pull and fil.. Seems like mine, and every one else that suggest sticking this or that in the tranny does that and things are all good again. Look back at my early posts two years ago if you want more info about this.

Sounds like you may have found someone that has a clue at least. One thing I would suggest you do with that fluid change is let the mech know if he feels the tranny is overall healthy by what he sees in the pan, do the valve body refresh with a shift kit. Will need to be done sometime soon (due to age) and no reason to pay 2x for pan pull and fil.. Seems like mine, and every one else that suggest sticking this or that in the tranny does that and things are all good again. Look back at my early posts two years ago if you want more info about this.
Yes this Mech is a straight shooter and it's unbelievable how much he knows this car and transmission ....most of the shops I went to AAMCO being the worst ( they're out for the 5% population who will allow them to throw in a used transmission with a 1 year warranty) what a Joke! The Independent shop where I got the initial flush outsources all the transmission work ...learned a valuable lesson there...ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS!!! Before you allow any ASE Certified shop do services on your car....Anyway I finally found Ron's Auto Shop and he works with a European Importer shop like I said in the last post Nelsons Imports so they're closely knit and help each other out...this Mech is a straight shooter not promising me anything but says it's the best way to go ...he also is partners with DynaTech a Full Service Transmission Shop that if I need a rebuild will give me a 3 Year war rent and said out of the hundred transmissions he has rebuilt one has had problems ...I like those odds...anyway what was the thread called I would really like to read it thanks grizzlyls

Forgot to mention the Mech also said this BG product is used primarily for preventative maintenance but it works so good that it usually fixes a problematic error in the transmission ...last but not least...that's the weird thing my car is shifting better than ever after the flush ...the only problem is the damn torque converter isn't locking up ....other than that the transmission is running tip top ...frustrating

Actually dont recall but do a forum search on shift kit will probably bring it up and others on this subject. It was one of my first and was when I was frustrated with new purchase and aamco and there bull.

You can probably also look at my history, would have been real early on in my threads.

You can probably also look at my history, would have been real early on in my threads.[/QUOTE]
No Problem I found your thread...I wish my LS only had valve body issue like yours ...I seen your fluid was still red also ...mine is brown and burnt...with any luck this BG formula might work I won't know until Monday that's the soonest Ron's auto shop could get me in ... So now I get the pleasure of waiting in anticipation all weekend lol

Members online

Back