To the timing chain tensioner gods, one tight and the other loose?

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just did the valve cover gaskets and the passengers side timing chain tensioner wasn't tight against the chain like the drivers side was. The drivers side was taught and I couldn't move the chain at all, but I could move the drivers side about 1/8" or so away from the tensioner.

So, should I replace the passengers side tensionser since it isn't tight?

So does anyone know if a secondary chain tensioner should be tight against the chain at all times?? All the threads I find are for a rough-running LS that makes a clanking noise at idle.

If I'm not mistaken the pass side secondary tensioner the spring is on top so that's why u get that play and the driver side is on the bottom but I'm not 100% sure good luck

Hmmm, that would make sense. The inner cam is being driven and whether the left-hand or right-hand cam is driven would change whether the top or bottom of the secondary chain is being driven. Ford does list a different part for the LH and RH side.

So I'm going to just go with that until I hear klanking noises.

The tensioners rely on engine oil pressure to do their job. They have an internal spring so they don't completely collapse, but it isn't intended to provide the full pressure to the chains.
So having some slack when the engine is off is normal. Failure mode for the tensioners is plastic parts coming apart - not getting "weak".
The tensioners are different side to side because of the orientation of the oil galley and which side of the chain needs tension.

The tensioners rely on engine oil pressure to do their job. They have an internal spring so they don't completely collapse, but it isn't intended to provide the full pressure to the chains.
So having some slack when the engine is off is normal. Failure mode for the tensioners is plastic parts coming apart - not getting "weak".
The tensioners are different side to side because of the orientation of the oil galley and which side of the chain needs tension.

Yeah, I just wasn't thinking and wanted to double check. The drivers side tensioner was tight up against the chain and the passengers side wasn't. I never considered that they only spring-load the side that is slack in order to prevent a chain from whipping around and skipping a tooth during start-up. I didn't even look at the bottom of the chain.

Never hearts to ask. Ignorance ain't bliss where I come from :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Members online

No members online now.
Back