Performance Chips - Better MPG?

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried any of the performance chips or similar in the LS? I'm more curious about gaining some MPG vs power, etc. I read about Torrie's performance tune on a recent thread here, but that seems to be more about things other than MPG. Places like Lincoln LS Performance Chips - Amazing Lincoln LS Chips have chips for $70 that claim 4-7 more mpg. If there is such a thing in that price range that actually works, I would love to hear about it. If it's all BS like so many other things, then oh well.

You'll get more for your money with a bag of potato chips. There actually isn't any such thing as a 'chip' for LS architecture. Talk to Torrie.

KS

Chips for the LS are a fraud.
A "tune" could increase the mileage a little at the possible cost of engine life and certainly the reduction of performance.
If you want better gas mileage, you have to change the way you drive (and if you do, stay out of my way).

You might get the same improvement with better tires, like high mileage Michelins. And better driving techniques.
Just pay attention to your mpg readout and reset it often so you can see the effects of your driving.
Car pool, telecommute, buy online, etc...

A "tune" could increase the mileage a little at the possible cost of engine life and certainly the reduction of performance.
If you want better gas mileage, you have to change the way you drive (and if you do, stay out of my way).

Joe don't care for them 'hypermiling' folks much!

oh snap, Joe aint about to let slow drivers get in his way!!! haha

also OP:, I can guarantee you that "chip" you linked to will absolutely not help in any way with adding power or increasing millage. all that it is is a resistor that makes the car think that the outside air is colder than it actually is... hoping that the car will throw a tiny bit more fuel into the mix but it doesnt change any of the important stuff like the timing... also for what its worth, the LS tend to run a tad on the rich side already, most tuners that give you a little bit more power actually take a little fuel out, not add more in.

LOL I don't think you'll need for me to stay out of the way. I grew up owning a lot of the muscle cars of the late 60's early 70's. I know nothing about these 'chips' and thought if they were legit for a little better gas mileage, (my Mark VIII does better than the LS) I'd look into them. Thanks for the input everyone.

...(my Mark VIII does better than the LS) I'd look into them. Thanks for the input everyone.
So, what is your LS getting and what kind of driving? Maybe you have a problem causing lower than normal mileage that needs to be corrected...

I was referring to highway miles driving the same speed. Trips between LV to LA. The Mark VIII gets 27/28 mpg and the LS gets 22/23. Both run very nice, what are you thinking may be causing the LS to not be getting the mpg it should?

So, what is your LS getting and what kind of driving? Maybe you have a problem causing lower than normal mileage that needs to be corrected...

Actually, I think that 22/23 is probably about right. I'd expect about 25/26 to be the best that you could do, if all highway, and not hypermiling.

And that's with the cruise control set at 75 or a bit more.
I get 20 MPG in mixed driving (1/3 city, 2/3 interstate) at 80 on the interstate. This is with no attempt to accelerate slowly or otherwise conserve. The other LS in the family gets about 17 in similar circumstances, but there is a lot of idling. (We have swapped cars, and the mileage follows the driver, not the car.)

Has anyone ever tried any of the performance chips or similar in the LS? I'm more curious about gaining some MPG vs power, etc. I read about Torrie's performance tune on a recent thread here, but that seems to be more about things other than MPG. Places like Lincoln LS Performance Chips - Amazing Lincoln LS Chips have chips for $70 that claim 4-7 more mpg. If there is such a thing in that price range that actually works, I would love to hear about it. If it's all BS like so many other things, then oh well.

Chips are BS.
Get an SCT Tuner they usually have a gas saving tune in there, and if I remember I believe even their 91 performance tune gives you better gas mileage.

Recall Tattoo from Fantasy island?
His most favorite chips?
You guessed it .... Da Plane, Da Plane ones. :D

Cdl0KeSW0AEHTuU.jpg

NOTE: I'm an idiot :confused:

Last edited:
Chips are BS.
Get an SCT Tuner they usually have a gas saving tune in there, and if I remember I believe even their 91 performance tune gives you better gas mileage.

better millage comes from better efficiency. same as power. if one can restrain himself enough with the performance tune, he should also see an increase in millage.

I was referring to highway miles driving the same speed. Trips between LV to LA. The Mark VIII gets 27/28 mpg and the LS gets 22/23. Both run very nice, what are you thinking may be causing the LS to not be getting the mpg it should?

Considering the terrain between Vegas and L.A., as Joe said that's about right. You'll never make-up the loss of mpg going downhill that you lost going uphill.

I'm assuming you meant "...make up the 'gain' of mpg going downhill..."

I guess I was surprised that my Mark VIII would get 4-5 better highway mpg than the LS. The Mark VIII has a more aerodynamic shape than the LS and the car lowers itself at highway speeds, maybe that is part of the reason for the better mileage.

Considering the terrain between Vegas and L.A., as Joe said that's about right. You'll never make-up the loss of mpg going downhill that you lost going uphill.

Members online

No members online now.
Back