Intermittent NO START in '99 Cont 4.6!

EbodyPro572

LVC Member
Reaction score
So far, eventually it does start. Could take a couple try's to a half dozen try's. Hot or cold it does it. Once, I gave it half throttle while trying to start and it fired right up. Could have been coincidence.
If it sits for a couple hours, same thing, it needs 2-3 try's to start.
If I turn off car & immediately try to start it, it will start every time!
Could it be the crank sensor?
It does eventually start but this issue just began two days ago & I don't want to be coughs where it won't start at all and be stranded! Argh!
Scott in SC

So far, eventually it does start. Could take a couple try's to a half dozen try's. Hot or cold it does it. Once, I gave it half throttle while trying to start and it fired right up. Could have been coincidence.
If it sits for a couple hours, same thing, it needs 2-3 try's to start.
If I turn off car & immediately try to start it, it will start every time!
Could it be the crank sensor?
It does eventually start but this issue just began two days ago & I don't want to be coughs where it won't start at all and be stranded! Argh!
Scott in SC

It could be many things, but first, during one of its no start tantrums, I would pull the air filter and try spraying starting fluid in the air intake.
If it starts right up, that may indicate a fuel pressure/delivery problem.

A leaking fuel injector or a failing fuel pressure regulator will make it hard to start.
You may want to check to see if there are any OBDII codes stored, and have the fuel pressure checked.

Thank you! I'm in NC visiting our grandkids about 3 hours from home. Same issues today. Will do as you suggest when we get home Saturday & let you know. Hope it's something simple! THANKS again! Scott in SC

Might want to change the fuel filter too. Was the fuel pump ever replaced? This could be the culprit.

Now it seems to start on the second try each time. Odd. Immediately after running it will start right up too, no problem. FlaOkie, I haven't checked the OBII yet, but did change keys since it has the PATS II theft system transponder setup. No help, same thing. Thought maybe the key's 'chip' was going bad. Oh well.
Hey Svets, may do the fuel filter next but man it runs like a champ when it does start. Some research has indicated a possible bad connection at the crank sensor too? I know I have to find the culprit before I'm stranded somewhere!

Keep us posted when you run the scans. It sounds like its a minor thing, which can be the hardest to detect. Look to see if the MAF sensor is connected, and if the MAF sensor needs a good cleaning in general. Your getting close!

Members online

Back