New LS Owner

Wow! I am loving all the posts/feedback/advice. And, for any concerned out there, I did do the research on these vehicles and the common problems/complaints were all pretty consistent among the different web sites/reviews. I knew I wasn't getting a perfect car and I knew there would be some things to be aware of. And thanks to this site/forums I felt comfortable buying my LS because of the support here. I wasn't deterred from buying. But thanks to you all I am more informed. As of today I have replaced the cooling reservoir, had a coolant flush, oil change, alignment, coil packs, and after taking it to a third auto repair shop I'm told that my control arms front and rear are fine. No rust. They told me the only real potential problem was the rubber around the tie rods 'could' be replaced. I think that it was they said. It was a long day and at this point everything is mushed together as far as information. I have been meaning to upload photos to get all of your opinions regarding the suspension.

CypressLS, Wimberly is not far from where I live (near Randolph AFB). Definitely would like to meet up and talk LS lingo. Oddly enough, you own a Toyota Avalon. That is my last name. I don't own an Avalon, but I've driven one before. Very nice.

I been a LS owner for over a year now. I did NOT know anything about the car what so ever besides It's a beautiful car & a V6. Like any car you will have problems but then the question comes in " Are you planning on keeping it? & Are you ready for it. I have put $$ in to this car from suspension to engine, do I regret it? Not one bit. I love my LS, It Is A Project For Myself & To Keep. I love the fact when "truckers" or newer generation test my baby, for being a 17yr old car she will either keep up or pass'em.

That's the fact, Jack!

stripes-thats-the-fact-jack.jpg

I've always liked the LS since it's introduction. I just like the shape of it and it's silhouette. I do plan on keeping it which is why I bought it. Mine is an '05, V8 Sport, Black on Black. All my cars are black on black. I'm sure some of my colleagues/friends would think my money could be better spent on other things, however, I like the cult following these cars have. They had, what, a 6 year run of making them? I have a feeling these cars will be something to own in the future. Maybe I'm being silly in thinking that, but look how many people are driving old/restored Buicks. This is/will be a project for me. Right now my daily driver is a '12 Mercedes C250 Sport (you guessed it, black on black). I sold my '05 Ford F150 4X4 recently (black on, eh, you get the idea) and decided to pick up this LS. I will say that the suspension/handling on my Mercedes is way better than the LS and the ride is just fantastic. That is why you buy a Mercedes. Hopefully I don't alienate the members here by mentioning that I have an import car. Anyhow, I love the LS and I can't wait to get it to a state that I would enjoy driving day after day. But, as everyone who has posted previously, I first need to get to a baseline. So far so good I think. :)

I believe that I am reasonable with the maintenance advice. I recommend COP replacement and cooling system replacement when someone posts a problem that is likely to be related to either of those. I also recommend or at least mention the possibility of needing to do either when someone posts that they just bought an LS and have x amount of money left over for improvements/upgrades/changes that aren't needed for the function of the car. I would think that they would want fair warning of the possible major expenses that they may soon face, before they have otherwise spent that money.

I've always liked the LS since it's introduction. I just like the shape of it and it's silhouette. I do plan on keeping it which is why I bought it. Mine is an '05, V8 Sport, Black on Black. All my cars are black on black. I'm sure some of my colleagues/friends would think my money could be better spent on other things, however, I like the cult following these cars have. They had, what, a 6 year run of making them? I have a feeling these cars will be something to own in the future. Maybe I'm being silly in thinking that, but look how many people are driving old/restored Buicks.

I concur. Part of why I bought an '06 is that they only produced ~9000 of them. Not to mention, with this car, Lincoln did something that we car guys are always griping at them to do; take a small four door sedan and stuff some kind of exotic V8 in it and make it fly. Even though I am building this car with my son for him to drive when he turns 16, the understanding is that I get it back when he is done with it because I think these cars will be the next decades "barn finds". The only problem is that I'm already looking for another one for myself when he takes it over in December!

I do like big cars that can move. I would LOVE to find a '03-'04 Mercury Marauder. I've seen a few on the road, but no one willing to part ways with them. Maybe I could put the engine from the Marauder (police interceptor) into my LS. :) Not easy I'm sure.

Avalon,

FYI... the police interceptor is only a 2 valve SOHC engine with high volume injectors,,, a computer re-tune, different air box... and extra/different cooling system parts.

The 4 valve Maurader engine is a different animal... using aluminum 4 valve heads and DOHC's

The 3.9 in the LS is a DOHC engine... but uses Variable Valve Timing similar to the 3 valve 4.6 and 5.4,,, whereas the 2v 4.6 and 4v Marauder 4.6 do not use VVT. It would take a major electronics feat in re-engineering to make a Maurader engine compatible with the LS. Not saying it's impossible... but it would take major time and money.

Ok... let's try this again;

LQ,

The things you listed in a previous post... are the major KNOWN "quirks" of the LS. Many people come to this form,,, wanting to know how to fix these quirks when problems arise. They are given truthful facts,,, based on a proven track record. If the individual is willing to listen to the advice given on this forum... they usually drive many happy miles without incident.

If they aren't willing to listen to the advice given... they continue to haphazardly throw parts at their LS. Then when the problem continues to arise,,, or never gets completely fixed, (all at once)... they call the LS a piece of junk and sell it,,, or complain about how much money they have dumped into their LS.

Most people fail to realize that the LS was never meant to be the "average guys" daily driver. Think about it. The LS sold for 40k over a decade ago. Most average cars don't even sell for that now, (although it's getting close).

I guess it comes down to the point on used LS's... fix it right the first time,,, or fix it over and over again. I've quoted the old British saying before on this thread... and I'll say it again. When it comes to the LS... it's "in for a penny, in for a pound".

That's the shortened version of what was never posted a few posts back.

That thread ... I swear is simply an individual with too many usernames jerking others off for fun, once again.

Is this meant for me? If so I wasn't trying to rattle anyone I just posed a simple question.....

No LQ,

I'm 100% positive that Rigs comment was directed at the poster in the link I provided above.

Whether or not the poster is just jerking people around... I don't know. But this is also typical of people just trying to GET from this site... rather than contribute. They come in... ask a couple questions,,, then don't come back until they experience the same symptoms again in a couple months.

This is not directed at you.

;)

Ok all good. Yes I know now that the thermostat housing has went bad all the other coolant parts are probably right behind it. I just didn't have all the money at the moment so I did just get that fixed in addition to everything else I got done last weekend (Valve cover gaskets, EGR valve, MAF, coil covers and cowl wiper seals, tire) so I was broke completely. In the next week or so I will be using this site to go on Rock Auto or Ford Parts to start getting all the other coolant system parts little by little. I still got this Transmission issue and heater blower motor to fix first. Not to mention someone hit me so I need a new bumper and driver front fender.

I understand that the LS is a selfish, picky bastard and wants what she wants. Just got to priortize funds.

BTW I got all that done parts and labor for 850....not to bad I reckon and it was by Lincoln so all Motorcraft parts

Not to mention someone hit me so I need a new bumper and driver front fender.

Oooo... OUCH! Hope they had insurance. Don't go for aftermarket body parts. You'd be better off getting a bonyard fender and getting it repainted if you cant find one in your color... because the OEM are aluminum,,, and AFAIK all aftermarket fenders are steel. Last I knew some factory bumper covers were available... but don't think the fenders are.

FYI... I dumped $900 in cooling system parts roughly 3 years and 50k miles ago. That was replacing everything but the rad, aux coolant pump, dccv heater core,(s), and heater hoses. Just recently did rad, aux coolant pump and dccv for another $500 parts. Fortunately,,, I don't have to worry about labor charges.

I'm the original poster and I promise I'm not jerking anyone around or trying to instigate any trouble. I'm not sure how I can verify/validate my purpose for being here other than I had some general questions when I found my LS and every Google search I entered yielded this site so I figured I'd register and get cracking. I don't do social media so this is kind of a first for me. My name is David Avalon and I'm from San Antonio TX. That name may be common I don't know, but I am off the grid so to speak. I'd be willing to converse with anyone of you if I were able to help with something you had questions about which is why I feel comfortable asking you all questions. This is obviously not the proper forum but if you had questions regarding synthesizer theory I would be glad to help as I program synthesizers. Anyway, you see where I'm going with this.

Oooo... OUCH! Hope they had insurance. Don't go for aftermarket body parts. You'd be better off getting a bonyard fender and getting it repainted if you cant find one in your color... because the OEM are aluminum,,, and AFAIK all aftermarket fenders are steel. Last I knew some factory bumper covers were available... but don't think the fenders are.

FYI... I dumped $900 in cooling system parts roughly 3 years and 50k miles ago. That was replacing everything but the rad, aux coolant pump, dccv heater core,(s), and heater hoses. Just recently did rad, aux coolant pump and dccv for another $500 parts. Fortunately,,, I don't have to worry about labor charges.

Yea they had no insurance so it was all on me since I only got liability on the LS. Anyhoo, I can get a bumper from Lincoln for around $500 but I haven't seen the fender. Been looking in a few junkyards for both but nothing yet. I would prefer a 06 bumper anyhow which is all that's left on Ford's website or through the dealer. Then would have to get it painted

Yea I know the coolant system parts are expensive especially for the coolant tank and those radiator hoses..and these are plastic at that.

Avalon,

Yes... I was not talking about this thread you started,,, but another one that I listed in a previous post. You're fine,,, and all is good. No worries.

Members online

No members online now.
Back