E85 Conversation?

ZacUnknown69

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Who here knows what it'd take to convert a Gen I Mark to run on E85? I've heard it's not too difficult, and can grab some massive horsepower gains from it. Thanks!

Can you get E85 in your area? I can't get it where I live. Kirk has switched to E85. PM him.

E85 is pretty easy to find in the Plains region and Minnesota thanks to all the Ethanol plants around here. Don't know why you'd want to use it though, cuts your mileage in half and only costs about 10 cents less per gallon than gasoline.

E85 is pretty easy to find in the Plains region and Minnesota thanks to all the Ethanol plants around here. Don't know why you'd want to use it though, cuts your mileage in half and only costs about 10 cents less per gallon than gasoline.

I have used E85 (checked and verified) for many years in some of my cars that I only use during summer months, in winter months the E85 is more to E70.
If you check that is true E85 and tune the car for it, this means both fuel and ignition than the fuel consumption in average goes up 10%.
Precaution when mashing the throttle the fuel capacity system (fuel pump, fuel lines and injectors) when using E85 MUST be able to deliver 1.4 times than running on gasoline.
The only reason I have used it for NA engine is for saving money, here in Sweden the cost of E85 is 2/3 of gasoline.
If you don't have any turbo or supercharger there will be nearly no gain in horsepower.
E85 is called "poor mans race gas" is that when using turbo or supercharger you can utilize the engine optimum.
This due to E85 behave more or less a 105 octane (more pre ignition can be used) plus it have a little bit oxygen in the fuel.

I know for fact a car manufacturer here in Europe made cars that shall be able to use both gasoline and E85.
These cars had a 1.3 times more consumption when using E85 compared with gasoline.
Guess which one... Ford from Germany...

Saab which is dead know had a electronic measurement of the amount of ethanol.
The fuel consumption with E85 was 10-15% higher than with gasoline (turbo engine).

My pointis if your gas milage cuts in half, then the tuning is really bad.

Members online

Back