Getting new center console speakers?

Lucky_Ls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I go into Best Buy to get some new speakers. I know about what’s available for the doors but I wanted to replace the center console. The guy tells me that nobody makes replacement 2 ½ center console speakers. I ask him if there is another speaker they can custom fit. He goes and talk to there car audio guy and comes back and tells me no!:(

Have any of you guys had this problem or do you just live with the factory speakers in the center console?

I want to update the whole sound system starting with all the speakers.

First mistake- going to Best Buy for car audio :p

They (Best Buy) probably don't have the speaker that you want. Obviously someone makes them, since they are in your car right now. BB just doesn't sell them.

Really no need to update the center console speakers. I think you lose those when you go aftermarket on your head unit. I'm not positive on this, but that's what I recall.

Yeah, Best Buy shouldn't have been my first chose I just wanted to see what was out on the market. There are a couple of custom car audio places locally they would probably be a better bet right? So if and when I upgrade my head unit both the center console and rear deck speakers are gone? I can get an aftermarket amp to hook up for the rear deck speakers but the center console speakers are just for looks after that point???:confused:

I tried finding the thread myself using the search function but I got tired of looking through all the other thread about all the other speakers in the car! I was just hoping if there was someone who did it they would just come forward.

there's a thread around here somewhere where someone did some modification and put some 3" speakers in there. Ive looked for awhile and come to the conclusion no one makes speakers that size. Good luck though, and let us know if you find some. I'll try to find that thread.

found the thread:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=10216

Thanks for finding that! I wonder if he just left it like that or just put some speaker covers on it? I have the tools he listed but I feel weird cutting up my center console to just have that as my finished result. Would the amp thing I talked about before work?

I put the Infinity Kappa 3.5's in my console, and the factory grilles are still on. I did have to remove the ducting for the A/C and heat that directs the air to the rear center console vent. Also my car is a 2002 if that makes any difference

Yeah, Best Buy shouldn't have been my first chose I just wanted to see what was out on the market. There are a couple of custom car audio places locally they would probably be a better bet right? So if and when I upgrade my head unit both the center console and rear deck speakers are gone? I can get an aftermarket amp to hook up for the rear deck speakers but the center console speakers are just for looks after that point???:confused:

If your new head unit has pre-amp level outputs for at least the front and a subwoofer, then you can keep the factory speakers and factory amps. You just need to wire it in. Crutchfield has adapters to make it easier.

I put the Infinity Kappa 3.5's in my console, and the factory grilles are still on. I did have to remove the ducting for the A/C and heat that directs the air to the rear center console vent. Also my car is a 2002 if that makes any difference

You don't happen to have pic of the process do you? If not a finished product would be nice.:D

i put the kappa 3.5's in as well and used a separate amplifier. they are a 2-ohm speaker. i just used those sheet metal clips with the screw holes. factory grill slips right back on. as the next post states, you should use a high pass filter.

i tried to use the center speakers with my aftermarket radio, i had to run signal wires over to the amp (which does not have it own crossover) but the crossover point on the radio was to low (i used the front output and the crossover for the fronts is set to 80hz) and the speakers blew out in no time, so i just grabbed another set from a junkyard and unhooked them from the radio and just hooked them up to my motorola bluetooth kit and never looked back

That just told me what I needed to know in reference to 3.5s... So I see that they are 2.5's instead. Got it. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.
Back