Anyone in or close to Toronto have access to wheel studs for a 2004 Lincoln LS V8?

lsintoronto

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone in or close to Toronto have access to wheel studs for a 2004 Lincoln LS V8? A wheel stud on a rear hub snapped and the dealer only orders/sell a bag of 5 for CA$75 bag. Would prefer to just get one (new or used).

Thanks!

Have you checked your local part stores? I've replaced a few and got them off RockAuto for under $2 a piece.

Have you checked your local part stores? I've replaced a few and got them off RockAuto for under $2 a piece.

I couldn't find them on the RockAuto site under wheel or hub etc sections. Remember the part number? The shipping cost and time will probably be an issue though.

I plan to call around a couple parts stores tomorrow but wasn't sure there was an aftermarket option since I couldn't find them on rock auto.

If only one snapped ur ok. I had one snap an drove car around for a while wit no prob. If 2 snap, ur in trouble.

I couldn't find them on the RockAuto site under wheel or hub etc sections. Remember the part number? The shipping cost and time will probably be an issue though.

I plan to call around a couple parts stores tomorrow but wasn't sure there was an aftermarket option since I couldn't find them on rock auto.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lincoln,2002,ls,3.9l+v8,1387188,wheel/tire,lug+stud,7680

Same for both gens. $1.25 a piece

If you just broke one I wouldn't be super concerned to drive around with 4 lugs on for a few days till it arrived. Just be careful. This is a whole lot better then $75 for a set, that's anarchy

just call around all the local auto parts stores, some one should have them in no problem. then you can get it right away with out having to wait for shipping.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lincoln,2002,ls,3.9l+v8,1387188,wheel/tire,lug+stud,7680

Same for both gens. $1.25 a piece

If you just broke one I wouldn't be super concerned to drive around with 4 lugs on for a few days till it arrived. Just be careful. This is a whole lot better then $75 for a set, that's anarchy

Thanks - I only checked the 2004 listing and didn't see it there. I was wondering about using it with 4-lugs. The car is not driven everyday right now so it would only see short drives close to home twice a week. I was thinking about Dorman since I have their LS lug nuts.

A lot of cars (primarily from the 1980s), some as heavy as the LS, only have 4 lugs from the factory. You could run this for the next 5 years with four lugs and be OK, so you have plenty of time to locate and fix the issue. No, I don't advocate running on 4 lugs for 5 years, just saying it wouldn't be an issue if you did.

A lot of cars (primarily from the 1980s), some as heavy as the LS, only have 4 lugs from the factory. You could run this for the next 5 years with four lugs and be OK, so you have plenty of time to locate and fix the issue. No, I don't advocate running on 4 lugs for 5 years, just saying it wouldn't be an issue if you did.

Unless you corner at all... I agree that for grandma driving it should be OK.

YMMV

A lot of cars (primarily from the 1980s), some as heavy as the LS, only have 4 lugs from the factory...
...just saying it wouldn't be an issue if you did.

I do not agree with this at all...

first off, not every wheel stud is created equal, some are larger and stronger than others. also you need to consider the difference in the bolt pattern, a 4 lug wheel has them evenly spaced around the hub, but a 5 lug wheel missing one, leave a larger percentage of the wheel not being secured, and would not be quite as strong durring side ways forces (like the car turning and the wheels pulling the car toward a different direction that it was heading)

most 1980 cars did not handle nearly as well as the LS does, and going any longer than you really need to, may cause it to slip your mind and you may one day be out for a spirited drive through some hard turns and putting extra stress on the studs that are left.

more importantly, wheel studs are not know for being weakened and breaking from being removed after always being fastened to the right torque spec, instead they usually snap after someone has put them on way too tight and that (if it doesn't break them then) can seriously weaken them. if one lug nut was put on so tight that it caused the stud to fail, then chances are high that more of them were too. and driving around with a broke stud and possibly more weak ones than could break at any time is just a recipe for disaster.

what do you think would happen if you were driving around and one of the studs adjacent to the broke stud also broke off, I'm pretty sure it that point, not much is stopping the rest from breaking off. how confident are you that you would be able to stop the car safely or even that you would notice it in time?

if it was my car, I would drive it a lot slower than normal and only far enough to acquire a new stud and lug nut.

^^That would be my concern is the additional stress on the others plus past stress. I use a torque wrench all the time but I've had other shops (including dealership) tighten it to the point I had to take it back to them to get the wheel off because I couldn't do it at home (I don't remember which wheel it was but I'm now wondering as I type this if that's what killed this wheel stud - this was last year). They were they last shop to touch the wheels a few months before. They swore they torque them properly but I could not get the wheel off at home when doing a tire changeover. They charged me $20 to remove the wheel.

I would have asked them to show me a tech take the wheel off with just a normal wrench in the lot to prove it's so easy. I highly doubt they were torque properly. The person you talked to probably didn't even know who put the wheels on, let alone swear they were torqued properly. I'm amazed sometimes when I use a 15" breaker bar and proper socket to remove a lug (that I know was torqued to 100ft-lbs) by how easily it comes off.

Sorry to hear you dealt with jerks.

The first thing I do when someone else installs my wheels is I break all the lugs and torque them myself at home, where I have access to cheater pipes. That breaker bar and socket mentioned above lives in my car now because it beats the stock wrench by a long shot

I would have asked them to show me a tech take the wheel off with just a normal wrench in the lot to prove it's so easy. I highly doubt they were torque properly. The person you talked to probably didn't even know who put the wheels on, let alone swear they were torqued properly. I'm amazed sometimes when I use a 15" breaker bar and proper socket to remove a lug (that I know was torqued to 100ft-lbs) by how easily it comes off.

Sorry to hear you dealt with jerks.

The first thing I do when someone else installs my wheels is I break all the lugs and torque them myself at home, where I have access to cheater pipes. That breaker bar and socket mentioned above lives in my car now because it beats the stock wrench by a long shot

Yeah sucks - I knew after a few minutes that the service advisor was just repeating a standard line so I just agreed to pay to get it removed and get out of there. I have a 22 inch breaker bar in each car with an impact socket attached and that didn't work, or my electric 7.5A impact gun. I think I didn't double check the lugs when I got home from the dealer in Feb 2015 because it was probably about 0F degrees outside and snow on the ground around that time.

Yeah,4 out of 5 is okay for awhile. I was working on an F-150 a while back and he'd been running 4 out of 5 for so long I wasn't sure the stud was still good.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

my wife had a flat (well very low) tire on her way to work one day, there is a small garage right next to the hospital she works at so she dropped if off there on her lunch to have them take a look and repair it. after finding a screw they patched the hole and sent here on here way, the guy told her that when he had the wheel off he noticed the brakes were very low and she should expect to change them very soon with how much she drives.

a week later and the rotor and pads arrive and I go out to change them and the first lug nut was on insanely tight, the next two snapped off with little force at all and the last two were like the first... this dude must have just hammered away with his impact set to max and away over tightened every thing. with how easy studs 2 and 3 broke, I bet if that trigger would have been held one second longer, he probably would have snapped them off while putting them back on. I couldn't trust the rest after that, I just ended up replacing all 5 of them.

Yeah,4 out of 5 is okay for awhile.

again, as mentioned above, without knowing the reason the stud snapped and not knowing if the other studs are in the same condition, you are handing out information that could result in many deaths.

just because you know of one case where nothing bad happened, does not mean that it is anywhere near safe to do.

and you you think, they are running the same studs as an LS then you are actually retarded...

also, up till this year, there was an official that actually watched to MAKE SURE EVERY LUG WAS ON, if one was not on the team was penalized by being forced to come back to pit road and make sure that it was put back on. now this year, they let the teams govern themselves (on this one thing) and every one of them will tell you that if they think there is a loose or missing lug they can feel the vibration and will come back to pit road right away to get it fixed as they know just how serious of a situation it is. many wrecks have been caused by missing lugs...

and while we are on the topic of doesn't have sh!t to do with the situation being discussed, an F1 car only has one lug per wheel, are you still going to drive around with out one on?

HaHaHaaaa! You get upset so easily. Talk to NASCAR about it. They say 4 out of 5 is OKAYYYYYYYYY!! LOL! don-ohio :)^)

how do you think that "they say its ok"? so now you also work for a race team? or you must be the head engineer that design the race packages out there?

not one crew chief out there would be willing to send their driver around the track for a race KNOWING that all of the lugs were not on there and tight... even the ignorant person watching their first race and listening to the teams radio would hear as soon as the driver notices that they have a vibration and think that it might be a loose lug nut will call their driver off the track as soon as possible... why, cause its fukcing dangerous.

of course it fukcing upsets me when you dont care about the safety of others when you hand out dangerous advise, it just goes to show how big of a low birth weight SOB you are. fukcing foolish to think its OK and that people they shouldn't worry about it. if you want to do dumb stuff that puts your own life as risk, go ahead, but when its other lives (including those driving next to him that have no clue about the ticking time bomb driving down the HWY next to them) use a little common sense.

why the hell even risk it is it was only a 1% chance of failure over a part that cost a couple of bucks. I know your so used to helping out your poor friends that cant afford proper repairs, but if they don't have a couple of bucks to buy a stud and lug, then they really don't need to be driving a car anywhere

Know who you are talking to Loud1, know who you are ....

EVEN CLAMPING FORCE 'requires' all lug nuts to be firmly tightened to spec.

The OP needs a replacement stud as soon as possible and driving around with even one stud broken off is not recommended/advisable nor safe.

END OF STORY!!!

The car is off the road until about Thursday while I wait for cooling system pipes to arrive from Detroit (3W4Z-18C553-AA)...so I'm hunting. I'm just going to replace all 5 now because I don't know what condition the other 4 are in (now that I remember the dealer over-tightening issue from last Spring). Checked with local parts stores and they only show the lugs/nuts not the studs so it's either dealer or Rock Auto.

Well,of course,that's the best choice. All 5 are BETTER than 4 for sure,but unless your wheel is bent or totally vibrating like a beast,4 is okay. don-ohio :)^)

End of YOUR story,and a story it is. NASCAR allows them to run 200 mph on straightaways and terrific G-force on turns,and YOUR telling me it's not safe. LOL! don-ohio :)^)
Know who you are talking to Loud1, know who you are ....

EVEN CLAMPING FORCE 'requires' all lug nuts to be firmly tightened to spec.

The OP needs a replacement stud as soon as possible and driving around with even one stud broken off is not recommended/advisable nor safe.

END OF STORY!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back