Upgrade To A V8?

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I may swing by a dealer today and check out the 2004 V8 he's had for some time now. It's a 1-Owner car with 67k miles. The V8's scare me a bit because of the overheating issues (I mean, I've yet to see a post here, or anywhere, about an overheating V6) but it does have the Sun Roof I would like but not the Navigation. It does have Backup Sensors and the upgraded SoundMARK Audio. No Heated Seats that I can see buttons for unless the buttons are on the door. It has nice wheels that don't appear stock. It's also in a color that doesn't do alot for me - white. He's wanting $6900.

Opinions?

2004.jpg

2004.jpg

...I've yet to see a post here, or anywhere, about an overheating V6...

Seriously? Search. There are not as many as the V8s, but there are several V6 overheating threads on here.

I don't know what the fear of the V8 overheating is. The solution is very well known and very effective. Replace all the plastic parts ($500 ish) and you won't have any overheating problems for six to ten more years.

Seriously? Search. There are not as many as the V8s, but there are several V6 overheating threads on here.

I did a search for 'V6 overheating' and nothing on the first page of results was about the V6.

I may swing by a dealer today and check out the 2004 V8 he's had for some time now. It's a 1-Owner car with 67k miles. The V8's scare me a bit because of the overheating issues (I mean, I've yet to see a post here, or anywhere, about an overheating V6) but it does have the Sun Roof I would like but not the Navigation. It does have Backup Sensors and the upgraded SoundMARK Audio. No Heated Seats that I can see buttons for unless the buttons are on the door. It has nice wheels that don't appear stock. It's also in a color that doesn't do alot for me - white. He's wanting $6900.

Opinions?

View attachment 828475097

It may have had 83,000 less miles but it wasn't near as nice as what I have now. Hasn't been well cared for from what I saw.

No Heated Seats that I can see buttons for unless the buttons are on the door.

the buttons are part of the DATC module

s-l1000.jpg

at the bottom row, each side.

It has nice wheels that don't appear stock.

correct, they are not.

Hasn't been well cared for from what I saw.

if that is the case, there is not a price low enough that I would consider one... you may have to spend 50% more just to get the maintenance back up to par...

s-l1000.jpg

It has nice wheels that don't appear stock.

correct, they are not.

Wrong, they are not (nice). Correct, they are not (stock).

To each their own but I think I'm looking at Pep Boys wheels and I've become very opinionated about wheels....

Aren't there more V8 LSes than V6s? Anyway, if anything, I'd feel most comfortable with a Gen 2 V8 because someone else already made the full list of parts. I'm not looking forward to my Gen 1s failure. There are diagrams, but I'd be pretty upset if I did all the work and then found out I missed one small part

Up to you but I would never, ever, buy a LS with a V6 to begin with. I think moving to the Gen II V8 with less than half the miles you have on your current V6 LS is a no brainer if the dealer is willing to give you an adequate trade for you LS...which may not be much (not because your car is bad, a v6 or anything, these cars just don't bring much money. Please don't take this personally).

My car also doesn't have heated/cooled seats which is something I ALWAYS wish it had. I bought my 05' with 60,000 miles on it and aside with having some coil issues, it's been a great car.

As far as the wheels, they would be the first thing to go if that were my LS. Look into buying some nice Jag wheels for the car. I feel they really upgrade the appearance while not shouting, "Hey, i've got aftermarket wheels on my LS!" Maybe i'm getting old, but I love when you put wheels on a car that drastically improve the look and people think they came on the car from the factory. But hey i'm a little biased (look at my sig).

So long story short, I think you will really enjoy the Gen II V8 coming from a Gen I V6.

Just my $0.02

EDIT: Just saw you said it wasn't well cared for...keep looking and find a nice Gen II V8. I apologize for the rant :D

So long story short, I think you will really enjoy the Gen II V8 coming from a Gen I V6.

I've yet to come across a G2 of any engine size that I liked. I'm old-fashioned - I like the chrome accents and darker Dash trim. Sure, the 'wood' is fake but I think it looks nicer than the silver crap. I honestly believe that the engineers at FoMoCo began 'cheapafying' the LS with the 2003 model year. That is to say, use less expensive parts to get the cost down to sell more units. Sales began falling with the 2003 model year and there must be a reason for that. The production numbers listed on Wikipedia have a 2 to 1 ratio for G1 to G2. And yes, I know those numbers may not be accurate but I've not seen any evidence or suggestions (here) that they aren't.

As for liking a G2 V8 more than a G1 V6, and after seeing what I have, I have almost concluded that to not be true - for me. I don't drive like a 17-year old in Dad's car so the extra power that a V8 would provide would just be unused. The V6 has plenty of pep for me and as I have said, my '02 is the nicest LS I have seen anywhere. There isn't even a parking lot ding on my car. Everything works. Not even a burned out bulb.

I've yet to come across a G2 of any engine size that I liked. I'm old-fashioned - I like the chrome accents and darker Dash trim. Sure, the 'wood' is fake but I think it looks nicer than the silver crap. I honestly believe that the engineers at FoMoCo began 'cheapafying' the LS with the 2003 model year. That is to say, use less expensive parts to get the cost down to sell more units. Sales began falling with the 2003 model year and there must be a reason for that. The production numbers listed on Wikipedia have a 2 to 1 ratio for G1 to G2. And yes, I know those numbers may not be accurate but I've not seen any evidence or suggestions (here) that they aren't.

As for liking a G2 V8 more than a G1 V6, and after seeing what I have, I have almost concluded that to not be true - for me. I don't drive like a 17-year old in Dad's car so the extra power that a V8 would provide would just be unused. The V6 has plenty of pep for me and as I have said, my '02 is the nicest LS I have seen anywhere. There isn't even a parking lot ding on my car. Everything works. Not even a burned out bulb.

The Gen2 has real wood; the Gen1 "wud". There was more money put into the 2nd gens than the 1st. The leather is nicer and there's more of it for one thing.

The Gen2 has real wood; the Gen1 "wud". There was more money put into the 2nd gens than the 1st. The leather is nicer and there's more of it for one thing.

I guess the G2's I've looked at then were all one-offs because I'm not seeing what you're saying here when I look at them.

more complicated and more power engine, changing cheap plastics for either real wood or aluminum, adding better audio options, adding HID lighting, changing from plain black plastic to a painted plastic...

all things that cost more to do in the manufacturing process, kinda the exact opposite of "cheapafying"

more complicated and more power engine, changing cheap plastics for either real wood or aluminum, adding better audio options, adding HID lighting, changing from plain black plastic to a painted plastic...

all things that cost more to do in the manufacturing process, kinda the exact opposite of "cheapafying"

I'll be sure to forward your username on to FoMoCo so they can come to you when they design their next automobile. It's clear you're the engineer they have been looking for.

The heated seat button is in the center console near the gear shift

No, it isn't.
Gen II only came with heated/cooled seated or not. There was no heated only option (for the front seats). The switches for the gen II heated/cooled seats are on the climate control (DATC) panel, and only there (as shown on post #7).

I'll be sure to forward your username on to FoMoCo so they can come to you when they design their next automobile. It's clear you're the engineer they have been looking for.

well thank you, but there is no need, already have a few friends at the offices in Dearborn if I ever get tired of what I'm doing now and would actually like to use this degree hanging behind my desk... the problem is that I really enjoy what I'm doing now and for most of their cars, they seem to be doing a pretty good job without me.

It may have had 83,000 less miles but it wasn't near as nice as what I have now. Hasn't been well cared for from what I saw.

It just now occurred to me that when I opened the unlocked door, the alarm went off. How could that be?

It just now occurred to me that when I opened the unlocked door, the alarm went off. How could that be?

1. Door didn't lock when the lock button on the remote was pressed (because the door lock actuator is failed/failing).
2. Battery is bad.
3. Someone mechanically unlocked the door (other than with the key).
4. It was unlocked by the key, but the key lock/unlock switch is failing/failed.
5. Aftermarket alarm.
6. Someone hit the panic button at the same time.
7. Car is possessed (or maybe has been repossessed).
8. You're crazy and it only happened in your mind.
9. God is messing with you.

That's an unprecedented amount of sarcasm in one post from joe... #7, 8, 9, and possibly 6?

I think the translation is "hurry up and buy"

I think the translation is "hurry up and buy"

Well, if the sun comes out today, I may go back for another look; I was pressed for time first time. It's been on this lot for more than two months now. Problem is, does he want to trade one LS for another? Mine is two years older and has 83k more miles but it does have more resale appeal. The '04 needs a deep detail - the carpets are dirty, no floor mats (I would have to keep mine) and the DIC caves in on the left when you press a button. The Dash Trim almost looked as if it had mold at some point. All the windows and Sun Roof did work but I didn't check the Audio. The Rear Left Trim Bumper piece is broken and cannot be repaired. The engine bay was clean but the engine sounded a little rough - probably from sitting.

Joe... you have a sense of humor:rolleyes:

1. Door didn't lock when the lock button on the remote was pressed (because the door lock actuator is failed/failing).
2. Battery is bad.
3. Someone mechanically unlocked the door (other than with the key).
4. It was unlocked by the key, but the key lock/unlock switch is failing/failed.
5. Aftermarket alarm.
6. Someone hit the panic button at the same time.
7. Car is possessed (or maybe has been repossessed).
8. You're crazy and it only happened in your mind.
9. God is messing with you.

After saying all that you want to go back?

Well, if the sun comes out today, I may go back for another look; I was pressed for time first time. It's been on this lot for more than two months now. Problem is, does he want to trade one LS for another? Mine is two years older and has 83k more miles but it does have more resale appeal. The '04 needs a deep detail - the carpets are dirty, no floor mats (I would have to keep mine) and the DIC caves in on the left when you press a button. The Dash Trim almost looked as if it had mold at some point. All the windows and Sun Roof did work but I didn't check the Audio. The Rear Left Trim Bumper piece is broken and cannot be repaired. The engine bay was clean but the engine sounded a little rough - probably from sitting.

Members online

Back