iPhone to Pioneer stereo double din

wkokaneeman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
To all you folks with car stereo expertise. I see lots of members with double din stereos in their Mark VIII's, and Pioneer seems to be the go to brand. what I have noticed, is on the screen, some folks have been able to add a picture or image of something to the background screen. how the hell do you do Oh yeah, also, in talking to stereo guys at auto stereo shops, say I want to buy one of these stereos, and say like myself, me owning an iPhone 6 +, I'm told there's 3 ways hooking up your phone to the stereo. Bluetooth, use cable, and a "super" cable or something like that.
I'm told if you use either of the first 2, you can run just music on your phone to the stereo, but nothing else. you can't use any of your apps on your phone, in the stereo(seeing the app images on the phone, on the stereo screen). like I commute a lot for work, so I like using a traffic app with a map of the area I'm in, showing slow downs, accidents, road construction, etc.. or say you want to use Pandora, or Rdio, or a scanner. can't do that with Bluetooth or use cable.
Anyone have a link to this cable that is needed to have that capability of using the apps on the phone, to the stereo? I hear it's expensive.
I'm also told that if the shop sets the phone/stereo up on Bluetooth, then if a sub cable is installed, you can't use it because it was set up on Bluetooth. well if you have booth, how do you shut off the Bluetooth to use the sub cable? a lot of info needed to help make decisions for purchasing a stereo. to me, it's obvious that this super cable is the way to go without a doubt.
Can I get a few links on where to get this cable from different sources, with different prices to make a decision? Thanks!

Once you get a model number in mind you can get better answers, and you can get them on youtube. Having a picture as your background is easy, but not intuitive, and has been a completely different process on every Pioneer I have owned.

App usage, IF your unit supports it at all, almost always required a firmware update when I was looking into it. Again, you want to decide on a model first based on what you hope to do. Their site is very good about laying out what each unit does. IMO you want the very latest model year. from there it's just a matter of what screen size and whether or not you want built in nav. Go to youtube with the model number you think you want and search for that and iphone app or app radio and you'll find what you need to know

I e done that, and there's not enough info for the question. I'm looking at the AVH-X5700BHS.

-"I want to buy one of these stereos, and say like myself, me owning an iPhone 6 +, I'm told there's 3 ways hooking up your phone to the stereo. Bluetooth, use cable, and a "super" cable or something like that.
I'm told if you use either of the first 2, you can run just music on your phone to the stereo, but nothing else. you can't use any of your apps on your phone, in the stereo".

hey Warren,

If you want to access your iPhone6+ music, navigation and messaging through your in-dash deck, then you need to buy a deck with Apple's CarPlay feature built-in like the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX or AVIC-5000NEX. These models allow access to some apps using your steering wheel controls, knobs, buttons, touchscreen or through SIRI.

The most commonly preferred connection method is Bluetooth or you can also use an Apple Lightning cable. Third cable this shop talks about is a typical aftermarket USB2.0 cable made by a company called ReMax and is being marketed as Supercable. It doesn't do anything special. Apple currently use USB2.0 with your iPhone6+. As of now, there is no word yet on USB3.0 upgrade for Apple.

-"Anyone have a link to this cable that is needed to have that capability of using the apps on the phone, to the stereo? I hear it's expensive."

The price is about $11.00 to $19.00 for a Lightning to USB cable. There is no need for special adapters or cables. Just plug a Lightning cable to a Pioneer CarPlay receiver and now you can access your Apple app.
Pioneer’s CarPlay receivers start at only $700 going up to $1,400.

-"I'm also told that if the shop sets the phone/stereo up on Bluetooth, then if a sub cable is installed, you can't use it because it was set up on Bluetooth. well if you have booth, how do you shut off the Bluetooth to use the sub cable?"

I've installed many sound systems with subwoofer cables and have never had issues listening to any music source using Bluetooth (version 2.1, 3.0, 4.0 and 4.2). The newer Bluetooth versions only benefit small wearable devices for better energy efficiency, other than that, data transfer rates remain the same.

-"Can I get a few links on where to get this cable from different sources, with different prices to make a decision? Thanks!"

For more information regarding CarPlay compatible product, visit www.pioneer-carglobal.com/CarPlay.

see also:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/carplay-ilx-007
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/ddxsp/apple.html

Members online

No members online now.
Back