2002 LS possible clock spring issue

redline36

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I believe I am having a clock spring issue on my LS, cruse control buttons are not working properly and a couple radio buttons are not working either. I am also experiencing an air bag light showing a 36 code and a CD ERROR on my radio. Not sure if this is all related to a clock spring or not. If you believe it is a clock spring issue I see there are 2 different ways to buy them one which is just the circular part itself and the other has the circular part as well as what looks like a control box. If it is the clock spring I plan on doing the work myself I would like to know which one of the types to buy.

thanks in advance
MikeG

My best guess would be that it is the clockspring- I'm having the exact problem as well and it's not hard to get into. My horn doesn't work as well, the cruise control doesn't work, and the radio controls didn't work when i had my stock headunit in the car. They have the clockspring modules online and I've always depended on eBay for things like this.. I haven't had it in me to order it yet but this is what i need for mine. May be the same thing you'd need as well?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-BAG-CON...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item2a491b65bb&vxp=mtr

both of those sound exactly like a failed/failing clock spring.

the only thing the SRS system, radio buttons, cruise control, and horn have in common is the clock spring.

if you are having problems with more than one at the same time, that would be the first place i would look (also a drivers airbag code is a pretty good clue too)

Redline: your CD player is also screwed (not related)

1LoudLS, Thanks, I was afraid I was screwed on the CD player. I tried removing the fuse for about 3 hours & disconnecting the battery for a couple hours and it did not correct it either.

PS like the quote attached to the bottom of your reply.

CD changers are notorious for jamming up, doesnt seem to matter which ford it comes out of, they all seem to be equally poorly designed...

maybe its not so much the design as much as just how complicated they are in such a harsh environment like a moving vehicle.

I think for the CD player I will just buy an aftermarket unit and put it in. Seems to be the simplest and least expensive fix for that.

As far as the clock spring do you have any recommendations as to where to get it from?

Thanks

I think for the CD player I will just buy an aftermarket unit and put it in. Seems to be the simplest and least expensive fix for that.

as always my recommendation!

As far as the clock spring do you have any recommendations as to where to get it from?

while I haven't check them for THAT part yet, fordpartsgiant always has pretty good prices.

I managed to fix my Cd player. If you take the cover off there might be a plastic gear that fell off. That is what happened to mine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back