2005 Lincoln LS Subwoofer Enclosure Volume

BigBalla39213

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to put a pair of 10s in place of my factory 6x9s using the Factory Enclosure. I need a minimum of 1 Cubic Foot each. Does anyone know the Internal Volume of the Factory Subwoofer Enclosure of a 2005 Lincoln LS?

Yes, it's zero.
There should not be any subwoofer "enclosure" on an 05 LS. The factory subs are open air.

Infinite, not zero

00-01 had a small enclosure and 6x8s. Anything newer has 6x9s with no enclosure. The cutoff date iis fuzzy, so it may be a mid 01 change, mid 02 , or 01-02 change.

Regardless, gen 2s have no enclosure. I fit two 8" Kickers in the shelf with some trimming and bending and MDF adapters. They are "infinite baffle" Subs so they don't need an enclosure other than the trunk. The back window really limits the space with which you can physically work with (the space you can fit your hands and tools iin).

Infinite, not zero

referring to an enclosure that doesn't exist, zero would be the right size.

now as for the cubic area of your trunk, that is definitely finite and can be measured...

I vote for Joe's answer. Looking in the trunk would end this thread!

now as for the cubic area of your trunk, that is definitely finite and can be measured...

If the required speakers need to be "infinite baffle" that would indicate an infinite enclosure, no? The trunk is just so large on the scale of these speakers there's no difference between the trunk or open air when looking at performance. But hey, you're the audio guy

So since you're The Audio Guy...Does CDT make anything that sounds Great? Im asking because the rest of my components will be Blues Car Audio thats going to be powered by Linear Power.

infinite baffle setup is designed to have a sealed area that can be any size, but it does need to be sealed so that there can be no interference between sound waves on the front side vs the inside. there is also an open baffle design where it is not sealed and you can get interference between sounds waves in front or behind the driver.

the speaker being built for infinite baffle, means that it does matter how big the airspace is, just that the suspension is stiff enough so it doesn't need a small limited amount of airspace to operate, the answer when some one ask how large something is, its measurable and therefore a known quantity.

it is approximately 13.5 ft3

So since you're The Audio Guy...Does CDT make anything that sounds Great?

cant really say, haven't heard them in person. there is not a lot of options for 6x9" subs. I've been trying to talk my brother in law into putting a couple of their CF 6x9" subs into his fusion for a couple of years now... I'm sure 2 of those and the perfect amp (and a good bit of sound deadening to the panel) would sound pretty darn good. probably as good or better than a lot of actual sub setups without taking up any trunk space

cant really say, haven't heard them in person. there is not a lot of options for 6x9" subs. I've been trying to talk my brother in law into putting a couple of their CF 6x9" subs into his fusion for a couple of years now... I'm sure 2 of those and the perfect amp (and a good bit of sound deadening to the panel) would sound pretty darn good. probably as good or better than a lot of actual sub setups without taking up any trunk space

I'm kinda stuck between running 2 Blues Car Audio 10s or 2 pair of CDT HD-M6+
or a simple pair of CDT ES-0690 GOLD or CL-69SUB CF.

the CL-69 SUBCF or the ES-0690GOLD would be toward the top of my list...

Infinite, not zero

00-01 had a small enclosure and 6x8s. Anything newer has 6x9s with no enclosure. The cutoff date iis fuzzy, so it may be a mid 01 change, mid 02 , or 01-02 change.

Regardless, gen 2s have no enclosure. I fit two 8" Kickers in the shelf with some trimming and bending and MDF adapters. They are "infinite baffle" Subs so they don't need an enclosure other than the trunk. The back window really limits the space with which you can physically work with (the space you can fit your hands and tools iin).

My '02 (had 6disk alpine) was built in April and it had no enclosure.

Since the subs are free-air the volume of the enclosure would be the volume of the trunk; or 14.5 cuft.

Since the subs are free-air the volume of the enclosure would be the volume of the trunk; or 14.5 cuft.

Since the trunk is vented to the interior and also to the outside of the car, does it really count as an "enclosure?"

Members online

Back