need advice !!

A_Stray_Bullet

LVC Member
Reaction score
hello all, i have a 98 Mark LSC (my baby) shes been down for the last 4 months after the thermostat control went out and trashing the heads as a result of that.
I finally put together enough $$ for an engine rebuild, my friend works out of his home and basically charged me for parts and pizza for labor :)
After it was finally put back together it ran for a day and the transmission went out :mad:
I do have a 97 parts car that i was told was identical so he pulled the tranny out of that one but now its giving error codes.
Come to find out the 97 transmission is not comatible with the 98... go figure.
So... i need a new transmission. does it need to be from a 98? if not what model/years will work for me.
im about to pull my hair out this is going on far to long and getting pricey but the car has great sentimental value as it was shared between me and my 18 year old son that i lost in a car accident a few years ago :(
I need this car back up and running!!! sorry for being so long winded im just at my wits end

Any help advice is greatly appreciated, also if anyone has a tranny for sale....maybe just maybe :p
Thank you
Stray

Odd that the trans died the day after it was completed. I'd be looking into an issue from the install.

Thank you, it all looks greek and overwhelming to me but then i dont have a clue on repairing cars, ill pass it along to my friend though and see if its something he thinks he might be able to handle.
Although im pretty sure he would rather just swap a new one in.
As far as it going out, it was starting to have issues before it broke down so im not surprised it gave upright after the engine was rebuilt:p
Thank you
Stray

So... if he cannot make the 97 transmission work in my 98 LSC what do i look for?
Are there any other specific model/years that can be swapped without having to modify anything?

You can keep the 97 transmission in a 98 car without opening it up.
You HAVE to use the external (the ones that goes on top of the trans) harness from the 97 car.
No repining necessary. All internal electronics have the same specs between those two years.
Same goes for going the other way, i.e. using a 98 trans in a 97 car, just keep the harness that comes from the donor car.

Thank you...passed that along, he said he used the 98 harness for the 97 tranny so hopefully thats all it is.
ill find out in the morning if it worked or not :p

Members online

No members online now.
Back