Ccccrrrreeeeaaaakkkkkkkk

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
That's what old Abe is doing as I turn the wheel, sounds terrible. I have just changed the lower control arms, strut rod bushings, inner tie rods, and hubs. When I changed them all I set the wheel straight, adjusted tie rods ends till both tires looked dead straight. Put lower ball joints dead on the mark they came off. With the tires on and setting on the ground my level shows just a hard bubble toed in (up and down) I measured from the back tire rim to the front rim and both were better than a 16th differences. I know I need to get it aligned but kind of tight and the 80.00 is better spent else ware. It tracks great, goes right down the road one finger on the wheel no shutter no pull, but creaks like its a 100 years old.

Oil the upper arms, ball joints? with all the new parts why so creakie, Oh and both strut rods have the same thread count top and bottom.

what to do?

Just because they're new doesn't mean they're not defective. I've been running into a bunch lately.

The point of my post, OP, was that I've never heard a creak coming from the front suspension on these cars and had it NOT be the lower ball joints. It's such a death noise on these cars and so particular that I don't think it could be anything else.

Well, I had a creaking noise come from my front end after I did a overhaul of it and I found that the cam bolts thru the lower control arms were undersize in diameter from the factory ones. This happened because I ordered a bunch of new parts, including the cam bolts, and just tossed all the old parts without comparing the cam bolts. The cam bolts came from Moog. After I found the problem I ordered new cam bolts from Ford, problem solved. I even went and checked stock at the Advance Auto store in town and the bolts were all the same. Some one miss packaged them.

The other place I would suggest you inspect is the front strut rods. It has been my experience as well as that of others that the Moog bushings need to be shortened to function properly. I ended up ordering a set of sleeves that DLF was making, and they work great. I believe 98Mark8LSC is now making these sleeves since Doug's passing.

Well, I jacked it up and wife turned the wheel side to side no noise, set the weight on it and it creaks at the ball joint. I contacted the seller on ebay and they are suppose to call me. Kind of sucks all I went through changing them and getting it so close lol.

It goes much faster the second time. And why are you messing with ebay, just grab them off Amazon or rockauto.

hmmm, mine creaks when I'm going really slow like going into a parking spot. My brother said "it's an old Ford thing" so I never thought much about it, since he had the arms and everything changed on it when he bought it.

Guess I should check the ball joints out.

Yea it shouldn't creak...

I had a creaking from my uca bushings before they were replaced, only happened with up/down movements. Like everyone else has said, sounds like bj's.

What arms did you pick up and did you lube them if they were lube-able?

I redid my whole front end before my move to Vegas....upper and lower arms with ball joints ect ect...no more squeaks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back