Windshield replaced under insurance, now the cowl cover doesn't fit and growls

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So with all the lovely construction around here something threw a rock into my windshield and cracked it. yay!

Call insurance, they send out their glass people and the replace the glass. Get in the car and at 60 is starts vibrating on and off and does it constant by 70. Pull over and look and the plastic cowl piece with the rubber lip that goes along the bottom of the windshield isn't resting on the windshield in the middle. Well damn.

Checked all the clips and everything and it appears to be seated. Having the glass people come back out Tuesday to see if they seated the windshield wrong or something.

Anyone else had issues with safelite replacement windshield? Last time this happened a different company installed the windshield and it was a Pilkington. That went flawless except they didn't use enough glue for the top rubber seal that goes across the roof.

So with all the lovely construction around here something threw a rock into my windshield and cracked it. yay!

Call insurance, they send out their glass people and the replace the glass. Get in the car and at 60 is starts vibrating on and off and does it constant by 70. Pull over and look and the plastic cowl piece with the rubber lip that goes along the bottom of the windshield isn't resting on the windshield in the middle. Well damn.

Checked all the clips and everything and it appears to be seated. Having the glass people come back out Tuesday to see if they seated the windshield wrong or something.

Anyone else had issues with safelite replacement windshield? Last time this happened a different company installed the windshield and it was a Pilkington. That went flawless except they didn't use enough glue for the top rubber seal that goes across the roof.

I,ve had a couple of those Safelite windshields. IMHO they're substandard at best. Both have had distortion; worse at the bottom. Pilkington is the way to go!!

I,ve had a couple of those Safelite windshields. IMHO they're substandard at best. Both have had distortion; worse at the bottom. Pilkington is the way to go!!

I'm guessing that's the issue. The outer edges are fine but in the bottom center the cowl doesn't touch the glass at all. Thought maybe it was just popped up but I can reach down and don't feel anything. It's like the windshield is shorter or not bowed out as well or something.

I had a windshield replaced at a local shop. They didn't get the cowl installed back correctly. It was really close, but they didn't get one of the pegs in the locator hole. Instead, it bent to the side. It held the cowl off just enough that it made a moaning sound at about 80. I had to remove the cowl to realize what had happened.

I had a windshield replaced at a local shop. They didn't get the cowl installed back correctly. It was really close, but they didn't get one of the pegs in the locator hole. Instead, it bent to the side. It held the cowl off just enough that it made a moaning sound at about 80. I had to remove the cowl to realize what had happened.

Then I guess tomorrow i'll pop it completely off and see if it's seated under there. I haven't done that yet.

Unfortunately the quality of Safelite's glass and employees seems to be lacking. A rock cracked my windshield a couple years ago so they came out to my place of work and installed a new one. The whole windshield was weird and not properly installed at the bottom - it never seated and seemed to be rocking on something. I also heard the moaning sound around 80ish. At that "rocking" spot, the windshield cracked a few months later. This time I took the car into Safelite thinking that I may get a better install since it's in their shop. It was better and I don't have the rocking issue, but the quality of the glass is really suspect.

I guess this is what happens when you let the insurance company pick the repair place. Last time they didn't care and looked up a place for me who installed the Pilkington windshield.

Members online

Back