Yet another tire opinion thread

Telco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I read some of the tire threads, but they didn't address the specific tires I'm looking at. The Hankook Ventus I have on my LS are worn, getting loud and I suspect I may have either a flat spot or a bubble on one as I've picked up a thump at low speeds consistent with tire RPM. Along with this, the ride is getting bad and the handling is getting a bit squirrelly. And before Robot says it, the handling is getting progressively worse over the last month in a manner consistent with other non-traction control cars with failing tires where my traction control issues just started in the last week.

My priorities are a quiet, comfortable ride on an all weather tire that can handle some ice and snow and I'm willing to give up a little high speed handling since I never push this car that hard. The tires I'm looking at are:

Continental PureContact
Pirelli Cinturato

Has anyone run either of these tires, and if so how did you like them? These are the two highest rated tires on Tire Rack that meet my requirements. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I'll be replacing the rear links before I do the tires to make sure the new tires aren't affected by bad links.

I can't help you with those tires, but I did want to throw this out. I've had your symptoms before (not on the LS), and it was a steel belt starting to separate on one of the tires. I verified it by taking each tire off and rolling them. The bad one wobbled and fell over. It was not obvious just looking at it. My understanding is that this is a very dangerous situation, as the tire can just suddenly rip apart and you'll have a blow out. Be careful...

I read some of the tire threads, but they didn't address the specific tires I'm looking at. The Hankook Ventus I have on my LS are worn, getting loud and I suspect I may have either a flat spot or a bubble on one as I've picked up a thump at low speeds consistent with tire RPM. Along with this, the ride is getting bad and the handling is getting a bit squirrelly. And before Robot says it, the handling is getting progressively worse over the last month in a manner consistent with other non-traction control cars with failing tires where my traction control issues just started in the last week.

My priorities are a quiet, comfortable ride on an all weather tire that can handle some ice and snow and I'm willing to give up a little high speed handling since I never push this car that hard. The tires I'm looking at are:

Continental PureContact
Pirelli Cinturato

Has anyone run either of these tires, and if so how did you like them? These are the two highest rated tires on Tire Rack that meet my requirements. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and I'll be replacing the rear links before I do the tires to make sure the new tires aren't affected by bad links.

Generically I've heard bad things about Pirelli tires; specifically they tend to flat-spot badly. I had a set of Continental's years ago that got quite loud as they wore. My neighbor just installed a set of Continental's a few weeks ago and loves them. I was considering the Continental DSW for my next set; which will be sooner than I wanted I fear......

I love my continental tires.
One of my pirellis had to be replaced already because a band broke, and agree with ls4me on they get flat spots easily. I now use my pirellis for when my car is in storage over a 4
Month period. And when I take it out the ride is to rough from flat spots. It literally takes a couple days for ride to smooth out.
Also one of the jaguar sets of wheels I bought had Pirelli tires on it (worn of course) and one had worn contis on it.. The set with the pirellis were louder when worn then the continental set.

Anyway the set I have now is actually used, I bought them with about 85% tread left and they are quiet and run smooth. No complaints.

My 2005 came equipped from factory with Michelin Pilot MXM4 and it rode great. When time came to change I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus because of its AA traction rating, but I'm not happy with them; because of its more aggressive thread, they are noisier in the cold weather, plus, I lost about 1.5-2 mpg. When it comes time to change again I'll go back to the MXM4's or its latest Michelin equivalent. I heard that the ride of the LS is very sensitive to the type of tire used and it is best to stick to the original equipment one. A 4-wheel alignment is recommended when the new tires are installed.

I heard that the ride of the LS is very sensitive to the type of tire used and it is best to stick to the original equipment one.

tires themselves can really make a huge difference in ride quality and handling between different treads, compounds and sizes, a car as well balanced and great handling as the LS just really makes their differences so much more apparent.

I recently got a new set of Hankook Optimo H725s and I'm very happy with them.

Ride is comfortable, the grip is amazing and they have an 80,000 mile warranty. The fact that they're V rated is nice too.

Living in Illinois, NW suburb, looks like the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 has very desirable specs for an All Season tire including performance in snow, and a very good price at $109.00 each. I compared various 235/50 R17 with speed ratings above H on the Tire Rack website - Surveys.

My 2005 came equipped from factory with Michelin Pilot MXM4 and it rode great. When time came to change I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus because of its AA traction rating, but I'm not happy with them; because of its more aggressive thread, they are noisier in the cold weather, plus, I lost about 1.5-2 mpg. When it comes time to change again I'll go back to the MXM4's or its latest Michelin equivalent. I heard that the ride of the LS is very sensitive to the type of tire used and it is best to stick to the original equipment one. A 4-wheel alignment is recommended when the new tires are installed.

My only problem with the Pilot Sport A/S I had was they wore out the center section in only 12K miles; and no, they weren't over inflated.

Interesting tidbit ..... The MXM's from the factory aren't exactly the same as the MXM's Michelin sells retailly (is that even a word :rolleyes:.) There are apparently slight differences in the rubber formulation. So the replacement MXM's may not perform as the factory set. This from a Ford/Lincoln engineer.

I just replaced a set of Conti DWS tyres with Yokohama YK580;s on sale at Discount Tire. Super quiet and a harder sidewall make them a great tire,

I just replaced a set of Conti DWS tyres with Yokohama YK580;s on sale at Discount Tire. Super quiet and a harder sidewall make them a great tire,

I now stay away from D.T. as the two here can't balance a tire to save their lives!! They claim the wheel is bent though can't prove it. I don't know if they're lazy, incompetent or just in too much of a hurry to care.

I don't see them @Tirerack.... Are they discontinued????

I now stay away from D.T. as the two here can't balance a tire to save their lives!! They claim the wheel is bent though can't prove it. I don't know if they're lazy, incompetent or just in too much of a hurry to care.

I don't see them @Tirerack.... Are they discontinued????

If they're doing road force balancing, then a bent rim will always come up as unbalanced. I just found out my two rears are slightly bent. The tech just did his best without the road force barrel and just did regular balancing. I still got a major vibration improvement. This wasn't at DT though.

I'm on my third set of Nexxens. Cheap? Yes. Quiet through life of tire? YES. Good traction for street and decent wear? Yes

My Cinturatos from years ago were excellent tires.

In regard to the LS, I'm now on my fourth set of tires. The all-season Michelins that came on my '02 Sport were great and lasted about 40K miles. I changed to 18" Verde rims and a set of P2s that again lasted about 40K miles and were replaced with the same thing again. These were the tires I had on when I set the ECTA record at 140+ MPH. The final set are what I got the best deal on at Discount Tire, since I'll have to do another wheel & tire upgrade to go faster with ECTA. I'll likely go back to P2s but will need to use a forged competition wheel.

I put new Conti. Extreme Contact DWS on my car about 10 months and 8k miles ago. Compared to the first two sets of Michelins these are more quiet (my big gripe with the Michelins), better ride(i had to increae pressure a couple pounds to firm it up), cost less and handling is superb. I feel they bring the car up to where it should have been from the factory. Recommended.

Cool thanks all, going to go with the Continentals then. The set I have on my truck did pretty well before I toasted the engine. And, thanks for the warning Joe. I'll go discuss with the local tire shop about getting a set in this week. At least I know (from direct experience, sadly) that control on the LS isn't compromised when a tire blows. It will still drive and handle OK to get to a stop, unlike those Explorers that flip and roll when a tire goes.

Cool thanks all, going to go with the Continentals then. The set I have on my truck did pretty well before I toasted the engine. And, thanks for the warning Joe. I'll go discuss with the local tire shop about getting a set in this week. At least I know (from direct experience, sadly) that control on the LS isn't compromised when a tire blows. It will still drive and handle OK to get to a stop, unlike those Explorers that flip and roll when a tire goes.
Here is your reply from the ROBOT! Michelin probably makes the best tires in the world. I WILL NOT BUY FRENCH TIRES. I hold a grudge .....1986! I have no hate for the people just the government. Another thing they put too much stuff on the sidewalls. Its like being a Disco DJ. That's why they are so damned expensive. I eat American Fries with ketchup please!

Here is your reply from the ROBOT! Michelin probably makes the best tires in the world. I WILL NOT BUY FRENCH TIRES. I hold a grudge .....1986! I have no hate for the people just the government. Another thing they put too much stuff on the sidewalls. Its like being a Disco DJ. That's why they are so damned expensive. I eat American Fries with ketchup please!

Aren't those Freedom Fries???? :D

The Continentals are made in either the US or Mexico, and is a German company. And I like the Germans, spent 3 years there in the Kaiserslautern area. Lived 2 years in base housing on Ramstein AFB. Plus, the Continentals are rated a lot higher than the Michelins on ice and snow.

So what happened in 1986 that makes you hate France?

The Continentals are made in either the US or Mexico, and is a German company. And I like the Germans, spent 3 years there in the Kaiserslautern area. Lived 2 years in base housing on Ramstein AFB. Plus, the Continentals are rated a lot higher than the Michelins on ice and snow.

Michelin is French though. i guess that's what he is referring to.
as for 1986, i have no idea.

15 April 1986
Operation El Dorado Canyon
France, Spain, and Italy denied flyover rights for the US Air Force. The French denial alone added 2800km to the flight. Were it not for us, they would have been speaking German and their women would have armpit hair in the shape of Swastikas instead of San Diego Charger footballs.

Yet the reason was understandable.

Wiki " French president Mitterrand refused overflight clearance because the United States refused to give to the French military all the details about the operation and he did not want to authorize any foreign operation that could not be analyzed by French authorities."

There was nothing wrong with the French asking for operational details for a military mission crossing French airspace. But don't think I'm soft on the cheese eating surrender monkeys though.

French troop preparing for battle
628x471.jpg

The official magazine of the French army:
soldierofsurrender_1.jpg

The Somali pirates even gave the French Navy a hard time and almost took a 50 ton French naval vessel, although the French were able to somehow fight them off. I understand it was the Canadian Navy that turned the tide for them:
cannav.f2feded8123448a1ecae6086c0d8951a.jpeg

Yet the reason was understandable.

Wiki " French president Mitterrand refused overflight clearance because the United States refused to give to the French military all the details about the operation and he did not want to authorize any foreign operation that could not be analyzed by French authorities."

There was nothing wrong with the French asking for operational details for a military mission crossing French airspace. But don't think I'm soft on the cheese eating surrender monkeys though.

French troop preparing for battle
628x471.jpg

The official magazine of the French army:
soldierofsurrender_1.jpg

The Somali pirates even gave the French Navy a hard time and almost took a 50 ton French naval vessel, although the French were able to somehow fight them off. I understand it was the Canadian Navy that turned the tide for them:
cannav.f2feded8123448a1ecae6086c0d8951a.jpeg
Yes, the reason understandable to someone that could have their arm twisted to give up said info. Honestly, Reagan was really nice about the whole thing. What were they going to do if we just flew over anyway?

Are you kidding? What would the FRENCH do? Why they'd throw up their arms in disgust over the whole thing, downing our entire fleet from the stench. I'm a firm believer in sovereign authority, in that one nation has the right to know what another nation intends to do in their area of control. Even when it means the US has to do the explaining. It's not like it stopped the mission or anything.

Well, another thread that lost its way. Maybe you guys that want to talk about the French should start a different thread and leave this one to discuss the original topic - Tires

Members online

No members online now.
Back