embarrassing new owner questions......

danielmillermark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm kinda scared to just start punching steering wheel buttons at 65mph so can somebody please tell me what the hell these buttons do? RSM? ect. I'm used to cars with NO power options and to get into this Lincoln I'm a little overwhelmed lol. Question #2 A couple of things are worrying me after studying/reading ALOT of LvC threads, It has to do with our air shocks and tail light. So is there anyone out there who actually has a story of when these two things have never failed on them? Please post if so because I'm a nervous wreck every time I get in it. -Danny Boy

If you don't have the owners manual in the glovebox that describes everything about your car, not just the speed control, you can download it here: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/97mrkog1e.pdf

Speed control is around page 93. Be good reading for the message center, personalization, etc.

I am sure there are plenty of people that still have airride, I am sure that number is getting lower and lower with age, and more and more conversions done. There are many variables like environment, care, age, miles, that affect it.

Same with the neon center light, if water doesn't get inside the housing or the wires don't corrode then it likely would last quite awhile.

my front bags went out after 12 years and 120k miles, most of which have been in the phoenix heat

the car is now 16 and still has the original rear bags. the neon has never failed.

I also never go down dirt roads or slam the trunk

Plus rarely does the air suspension catastrophically fail without many many indications, like dropped to the ground after a few days or over night.

I cannot vouch for the reliability or lack of the neon tail lamp, since I have a first gen, and we have incandescent. But! In addition to what has already been said about the suspension, bear in mind that even when it does fail, its not a terribly complex system to work on. The rear bags are easy peasy, and the fittings are very straightforward. I have yet to hear of an OEM compressor failing that wasn't strained in some way, e.g., leaking bags causing run to time out. Good luck!

If you want to bone up on your air suspension go to this site. Eddie Spinks has been around for many years supporting our vehicles with his products and knowledge. He has on his site a self help which should be useful for you. He also does the compressor rebuilds. I feel he is one of the best to go to for Air Suspension parts and knowledge.

http://www.americanairsuspension.co...r-Suspension-Conversion-Kits-Parts-s/1819.htm

My front bags lasted 15 years and 175k miles, had to change the compressor/dryer also (burned it out trying to air up the front constantly). The rear's are still original and 20 now, 213k miles and running great.

Members online

No members online now.
Back