Has the nickle and diming begun?

Fredbgt02

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
so this $800 bargin is quickly becoming a couple thousand money pit. a few day ago i was driving down the hwy and went to pass a lady that cut me off as i was traveling in my lane, as i punch it to go around the car went to downshift but it was like it didn't know what gear and bounced off rev limiter like a manual would if you missed a gear, it caught and took off. I though ok maybe just a fluke thing i had been cruising at a constant speed for a while and maybe the car just got caught off gaurd lol.

long story short this has happened a few more time and even on surface streets but only seem to do it when the car has to downshift more than one gear at a time. example hwy going from 5-3 or surface street 4-2, basically whenever you hammer down and it needs to drop more than one gear.

any explination? is the trans on its way out? fluid needs changing? solonoids? any help is much appreciated.

You bought a 45k car for $800 and you're shocked at maintenance and costs. It is expensive which is why I'm constantly trying to convince another member (Mlara) not to buy one again. Anyways, it could be something as simple as your coils, but it could be your transmission. If you already have transmission issues, changing the fluid will probably do nothing as it is most likely too late. Year/engine? Do you experience harsh shifts (besides the one described)?

its a 2003 LS v8, i got the car off a friend and his family had owned the car since new. it was well maintained and i expected some maintenance costs but not to the extent of some of the things that have popped up lol. the trans to date has been fine, when i first started using i had a harsh engagement into reverse and drive but as i used it went away and also discovered when you park if you let the car come to a full stop and wait a second before you toss it into park it doesn't do that when you go to leave. same goes for the reverse to drive, if you wait a second and make sure the car is still not rolling no harsh engagement.

i have the reciept for the plugs and coils, it was done at a ford dealer about 2 months before i bought the car, but it did sit parked almost right after until i purchased it, and then againit sat parked this winter as the car is rust free and i have no reason to expose it to any more salt since i have a second car.

Sounds like at least a solenoid pack. From the Transmission King......

There was a problem with wear in the overdrive servo. If that happens there will be gear ratio codes for second and fifth gears, the two gears that use overdrive. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.

The majority of the threads on this forum are about problems with the car. There are many and parts are expensive. It's not much of a deal.

Even if you have to put a couple grand in that car, it's still well worth what you would have in it and then some.

yeah i just don't want to dump a ton of money into it just keep it on the road as a dd. if i have to start spending 800 here 1,000 here and amounts close to that i rather just keep it as a slow project and do what i kind of envisioned for it in the beginning. I will look into the solenoid pack, can this be done by just dropping the trans pan?

I take it you have some experience with the issue lol?

Yup.... Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.......

..................I will look into the solenoid pack, can this be done by just dropping the trans pan?

Yes. There is an electrical connection on top (IIRC) that is a bear to remove. I hear a 10mm stubby wrench helps.... I had access to a lift and the job was still a royal pain! There's also the issue of correctly refilling the transmission. It's very doable, just much, much easier with a lift; on your back on jack stands it will be a bugger!!!!

Cost me $9000 to replace all the items constantly failing on an LS listed on this forum. Ended up with a fine car that ran handled like new, that book valued high t $5900! Each to there own, many spend $$$ on cosmetic upgrades then have a kitten when normal wear/tear items fail. Some put oversize rims on, more than plus 1, that over stress wheel bearings. suspension components. I see them broke down on freeways all the time with large rims! Some lower which restricts wheel travel, damages suspensions. Tinted windows limits drivers visibility, not safe for them or others. Tinted tail lights limits others seeing lights on, especially break lights, they get ran into. Around town not as much as a problem except tinted tail lights/lowering, hit speed bumps/curbs, damage air dam. On road a lot bigger problem, I travel Virginia to Mississippi, Virginia to Montreal see a lot! Virginia to Missouri also. Have several law enforcement officers been to a lot of wrecks/breakdowns confirm this! State and local. Drive with care, especially if you modified lights/suspension/visibility! Good luck! We get smarter as we get older, lessons learned! Traded my LS for a new fully loaded Honda Accord, all problems solved. Got a 98 Volvo C70 doesn't have 10th of the problems an LS has. 2.3L HPT. Listen to joeger and some others on here and replace all bad parts before they fail. Budget them by highest rate of failure. Do complete cooling replacement system replacement 1st or after all COPs/plugs/intake gaskets. PVC system. Then suspension parts. Then cosmetics!!!! After radiator power flush/ brake system power flush, transmission oil change. New brake shoes. Checked brake lines. Replaced clock spring. Replaced both front door window regulators! Replaced drivers door complete door handle assembly. Replaced Traction control module. Replaced battery.

wow quite the parts list, i changed almost all the cooling stuff as i came across it replacing the oil cooler, the brakes are all new now after the isssue i had with the rears, including the fluid. the cops and plugs were done recently and theres some other maintenance stuff i have recipts for. i know the suspension has not been touched as it's starting to make some noise(sway bar end links and sway bar bushings). i bought this car with the idea that if it was going to cost an arm and leg to keep running stock that i would turn it into a project car as i love the way they look, just never really impressed by the reliability and they could use some more powaar!lol. if its the packs i'll give that a shot and see how long it runs without any issues, if it's a trans she'll turn into the lsx manual swap i pictured in my mind and slowly work on it.

wow quite the parts list, i changed almost all the cooling stuff as i came across it replacing the oil cooler, the brakes are all new now after the isssue i had with the rears, including the fluid. the cops and plugs were done recently and theres some other maintenance stuff i have recipts for. i know the suspension has not been touched as it's starting to make some noise(sway bar end links and sway bar bushings). i bought this car with the idea that if it was going to cost an arm and leg to keep running stock that i would turn it into a project car as i love the way they look, just never really impressed by the reliability and they could use some more powaar!lol. if its the packs i'll give that a shot and see how long it runs without any issues, if it's a trans she'll turn into the lsx manual swap i pictured in my mind and slowly work on it.

Remember, boards like this are mainly used by people with problems. All 4 of my LSes have been just as reliable as any other car I've owned; including a pile of crap Civic! It got good gas mileage, but that was it's ONLY virtue!! The vast majority of LSes purchased here were used with no knowledge of how they were treated. Parts wear out and a car is FAR from an investment.

Search for the LSX. Unless you live in a state with no emissions regulations or vehicle inspections, it probably can't be registered. IIRC, that was the reason it was sold last. I know it can't be registered in The People's Republik.

The one redeeming thing about michigan lol, no emissions no problems getting registered. I think I've come across his car when I first started researching the swap before I even bought my car. Sucks to do all that work and not be able to drive it to cruises and stuff. Around here a lsx or even a 5.3 is super cheap. I guess we will see how long she runs for stock with out dumping major money into it. I would love to do a coyote swap but those are still ridiculously expensive.

The one redeeming thing about michigan lol, no emissions no problems getting registered. I think I've come across his car when I first started researching the swap before I even bought my car. Sucks to do all that work and not be able to drive it to cruises and stuff. Around here a lsx or even a 5.3 is super cheap. I guess we will see how long she runs for stock with out dumping major money into it. I would love to do a coyote swap but those are still ridiculously expensive.

The problem is; and always be; the electronics.

Members online

Back