Seatbelt light disable

washin34

LVC Member
Reaction score
:confused: The annoying chime in the LS for a seatbelt indicator is the loudest I've heard in any car. I looked into disabling this thing but it appears it would also disable the airbag....can anyone shed some light on this???

:confused: The annoying chime in the LS for a seatbelt indicator is the loudest I've heard in any car. I looked into disabling this thing but it appears it would also disable the airbag....can anyone shed some light on this???

Theres a connection next to the seatbelt fastiner to the right side of the seat when sitting in it. It disables the annoying chime and light. I dont think it disables the airbag

Not much more to shed. If you disable the beeping, you get no air bag. Pretty explanatory.

I agree, though, it is THE most annoying sound I've heard in any car. That's the only reason I wear the damn seat belt.

For Gen II...

Safety Belt Minder Deactivating/Activating Printable View (9 KB)

Preparation

1. Apply the parking brake before deactivating/activating the safety belt minder.

2. Place the gear selector lever in PARK or NEUTRAL (manual transmission).

3. Place the ignition lock cylinder in the OFF position.

4. Close all the vehicle doors.

5. Unbuckle the driver and the front passenger safety belts.

Deactivating/Activating

1. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON position (do not start the engine).

2. Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off (approximately 1 minute).

NOTE: Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning indicator turns off.
For the seating position being disabled, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending with the safety belt in the unbuckled state. After this step the safety belt warning indicator illuminates for 3 seconds.

4. Within 10 seconds of the safety belt warning indicator turning on, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
* This disables the safety belt minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
* This enables the safety belt minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently disabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the indicator off, then the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.

5. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

GEN1
The procedure is similar to GEN II. The procedure starts on page 129 of the 2002 owners manual. There is a copy of the manual in the tech articles section.

For Gen II...

Preparation

1. Apply the parking brake before deactivating/activating the safety belt minder.

Deactivating/Activating

1. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON position (do not start the engine).

NOTE: Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning indicator turns off.
For the seating position being disabled, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending with the safety belt in the unbuckled state. After this step the safety belt warning indicator illuminates for 3 seconds.

4. Within 10 seconds of the safety belt warning indicator turning on, at a moderate speed, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
* This disables the safety belt minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
* This enables the safety belt minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently disabled. As confirmation, the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the indicator off, then the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.

Wow thats a lot I usually just buckle my seatbelt and wait about 20 secs and take it off. It never goes off again (unless I turn the car off of course)...but I don't have to put on parking brake and all of that

Wow thats a lot I usually just buckle my seatbelt and wait about 20 secs and take it off. It never goes off again (unless I turn the car off of course)...but I don't have to put on parking brake and all of that

It's not a lot, it's pretty simple. The hardest part is counting the key turns so you don't get too many or too little, since you gotta do it fairly quickly.

If you do what was posted one time it will forever disable the belt chime when you are driving unbuckled.

I remembered trying this when I had mine, after a couple times I got it. No reason I wanted to do it just other than being bored one day(I am one of them people who feel naked without a belt).

I used the disable functions for the beltminder as is described in the manual. Didn't work the first few times I tried it. I just cycled the ignition a couple of extra times and it worked. At least Ford doesn't make you drive the LS while performing that operation like had to be done with my truck. ;)

I disabled mine too. I wear my belt, it's just nice if I'm moving the car into the street, or around the parking lot at work, not to have it beeping at me.

i found the easiest way to disable the seat belt warning is to unplug the seat sensor under the drivers seat. you will never hear it again and it doesn't mess with the computer

i found the easiest way to disable the seat belt warning is to unplug the seat sensor under the drivers seat. you will never hear it again and it doesn't mess with the computer

Yes, it does. Now the RCM will think that you are wearing your seat belt. In an accident, the airbags will use the seat belt on strategy and deploy that way. They may make things worse instead of better. If you reconnect, then at least the airbags will know to use the seat belt not worn strategy, and will do the best that they can to reduce your injuries.

For Gen II...

Preparation

Deactivating/Activating

The one thing I would add to this is that you must be sitting in the seat for which you are deactivating the belt minder feature. I tried to do the passenger side while seated in the driver's seat and it did not work; switched seats and repeated with easy success.

NOTE: Seatbelts are always worn in my car while driving.

Weight sensors in the seats serve purpose for airbag deployment,
it wants to know if there is someone sitting in the seat that needs a bag in the face or not during impact.

Members online

Back