LS V6 intake manifold tips

sowberry

LVC Member
Reaction score
First off, many thanks to all the contributors on this site; as someone with little car experience, the info here has helped me tremendously. But it is really frustrating when instructions say to "remove so and so," and even though you see the thing, you have no idea how to do so. So I thought I would give back by describing some things I found when I did the coils/plugs/gaskets.

I have a 2002 V6 (82k miles) that started missing when accelerating right around 50mph. When it finally threw a code, it was PO306 (cylinder 6 misfire). Checked the plug, had lots of oil in the well, pointing to a VCG replacement (there's been oil on the garage floor for a couple years). Since the plugs/coils were over 10 yrs old, I figured I might as well go whole hog and replace everything (I actually had ordered the plugs and coils last year, but was too scared to tackle the manifold until forced by the misfire). Interesting that plugs 3 and 6 were the only ones w/ oil, like some others here have observed.

The service manual says to remove the cowl brace. I was able to do the job without doing so, but for sure you need to remove the passenger side cowl. There's not much you need to do by the firewall on the driver's side, so, considering the reports of broken bolts I saw here (and the fact that I couldn't get the damn wipers off anyways), I'd skip that step. Regarding the cowl, it's held by a row of plastic retainers; the circle in the middle is a shaft that holds the retainer in the hole. The cowl brace has a hole under all the retainers (except the middle one!) that allows you to poke up from the bottom (a bolt works well) to unlock the retainer. Didn't even know there was a cabin air filter until I found it under there (caked solid w/ dirt; new one is en route)!

You're also supposed to drain the radiator. I didn't. There are 2 coolant hoses that run from the manifold, the long return to the degas, and the short supply from the radiator. With the engine cold and after opening the degas (to depressurize), I didn't get any coolant squirting out when I pulled the hoses off (although maybe a few ounces leaked from the manifold and from the hoses while disassembled). Whatever leaked out of the hose from the radiator could conceivably introduce an air pocket, but I doubt it; I will do a bleed (easier than a full flush/fill) to be safe at some point. All hoses, btw, just pull straight off (including the ones going into the big tube going into the throttle body; they're strong, they won't rip), after moving any clamps, of course. I think it helped to use pliers to twist them a bit before pulling, to break them free.

Speaking of breaking, all electrical connectors (like sensos, coils, etc.) "click" closed; to remove, you have to push the lock tab down, either on the end or in the middle (use a screwdriver). I broke the cylinder six connector figuring this out.

All the work in the back (by the firewall) is a pain, but be especially careful in the middle; anything you drop around there (e.g. while working on the bracket/shield on the back of the manifold) won't fall to the ground. I had to pull the manifold a second time after dropping a bolt in that area. I also lost a little bracket nut there, but that was the only permanent casualty.

After the upper manifold comes off (surprising how light it is!), you have access to the valve covers. The PCV tube (makes a T, one end in each valve cover) must be removed. There is no obvious fastener, but the ends turn easily while seated, which made me think they had a screw type lock like the PCV valve. So of course, I tried twisting one side until the tube broke. They just pull straight out. A chunk of hose from autozone fiixed the broken tube.

To remove the covers, you must contend not only with the bolts (15 for the Gen 1, plus the temp sensor on the driver side), but also the factory applied sealant at the corners. I used the fat part of the cover (towards the front) as a handle; a couple hard yanks broke the sealant. Removing the sealant residue is a bitch (you want the mating surfaces to be as clean and smooth as possible). Don't scrape with anything metal (a gouge is sure to leak). I sprayed w/ brake cleaner and scraped w/ the square end of disposable chopsticks (wood is softer than metal but harder than silicone).

The Fel-Pro gaskets I got have little "feet" (molded squares) that not only provide guidance as to placement (which side out when pushing into the cover's groove), but I think are meant to provide extra material to fill the small seam in the engine where the factory applied sealant. So I used no sealant, on the advice of people here and on other forums.

The spark plug gasket (the rectangle inside the valve cover which surrounds the plugs) has a small semicircular nub jthat matches an indentation in the cover to guide installation. Specs say to torque bolts down to 7-8 lb ft, but I just eyeballed it (there's a thread here w/ pics, search for "ls v6 torque specs" -- also useful to see where stud bolts are, at least driver side, if you can't keep track as you go); my 3/8 ratchet is right around a foot long, so i just had to envision pulling an 8 lb weight. I think you can feel when the gasket is compressed. Two days and no oil so far. Interesting that on both sides, there were two bolts totally cranked down where the grommets were deformed (and had oil on the bolts). I would guess that the factory worker cranked down the two (probably in the middle) and then torqued the rest to avoid a second pass.

For completeness, I chose to replace the lower manifold gaskets as well; autozone sells the complete set (plenum/lower) for $30 (cheaper than just the plenum; must be a mistake)! The key to the lower manifold is the mount in front by the radiator; after removing the bolt, the bracket can move to the side so you can lift the entire assembly (w/ fuel rail) up. In the back, you either unscrew the bracket and pop out the fuel line, or pop out the hose and electrical connector. I unscrewed the bracket and expected fuel to squirt everywhere (as it's under pressure), but nothing really happened. The fuel injectors (under the fuel rail) must stay connected! I started taking it apart when trying to figure out how to get the lower manifold off, before I found the bracket in the front; I forgot to reconnect the injectors, and so the car ran really rough when I tried starting it, the engine shook like crazy. Luckily, I was able to stick a screwdriver under the plenum and reconnect all the injectors; runs like a dream now.

All told, the job took me 12+ hrs spread over 4 days. So not easy, but doable. Could definitely do it in 3-5 hrs next time. Hope this helps someone!

My best time on my old V6 (now my daughter's with over 183K miles!!) was 3 hours. Those retainers are removed by pushing IN on the center..... It is much easier if you remove the shock tower brace. There is a "trick" to remove the wipers; remove the wiper nuts then push down on the arm near the hinge. Then pull the arm off the stud.

Like you said, the worst part is the back of the plenum stuff that has to be done by feel.

...There is a "trick" to remove the wipers; remove the wiper nuts then push down on the arm near the hinge. Then pull the arm off the stud....

A small gear puller works well for this too.

Just found your post from 2 weeks ago, very helpful tips. You didn’t use any sealant? I know the gasket kits can be different, I ordered the Victor Reinz kit, it arrives tomorrow so I haven’t seen them yet. The originals I just took out were thinner on the corners and half rounds near the firewall so they obviously needed sealant.
I’m stumped about the half rounds, I haven’t seen them mentioned on any of the forums. Here’s my question, I'd appreciate your thoughts!
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...er-gaskets&highlight=valve+cover+gasket+LS+v6

I did all my COPs/plugs, all new blue seals for bolts/studs, upper/lower intake gaskets and the coolant 5 piece manifold between the radiator and the intake manifold all without draining any anti-freeze! The fuel rails are best to be removed by removing the bolts to the "L" brackets. The huge metal protective cover on the drivers side right rear is a PITA during re-assembly and the vacumn hoses, 3 ea on the passenger side rear of the intake manifold are a PITA to stay attached during re-assemble on the V6.
The whole job can be done with 1/4 in drive ratchets, extensions, 8mm and 10mm sockets. I had a difficult time to get the passenger side most rear seal to seat right and seal. I used a little grey sealant on everything but the upper and lower manifold gaskets. I put in all new PVC parts as it was under the center of the manifold. That rubber elbow is real important and a high failure item according to members on this forum. Hard to get at the Ford or Linc dealers. I got mine at the Ford dealer. I saved 1/2 the price getting that 5 hose manifold off e-bay new without the 2 hoses that go down, reused my old ones, rather than the dealers that comes with those hoses. I did put new clamps on them. Cleaned the ERG valve and MAF real good. Had no problems after 2 yrs driving. Sold car for $4,000 after replacing all front and rear suspension parts and new Goodyear Assurance 60k mile tires. I put $9,000 in repairs over 2 yrs on the damn vehicle. Replaced every piece of the coolant system also. 95k miles on the2000 LS.
Got smart and bought a fully optioned Honda Accord, will never have 1/4 of the damn problems I had with the crazy/poor engineered Linc. My 98 Volvo 2.3 HPT is twice the car the LS was and not a maintenance hog! 51k miles on it in 16 years! Never by something like the Linc LS, V6 or V8 again, junk to maintain. I someone has to do all the maintenance I did on their LS I would advice them to save their money and buy a lot better vehicle! Real quick! BMWs aren't this hard to maintain, as I had a M3 for years and a Mazda RX7 also. Got a Maserati Ghibli now, 4 times the car the junk LS was! Good Luck! For the same money for a used LS buy a Toyota or a Honda and save a fortune in frustration and money!

I
Got smart and bought a fully optioned Honda Accord, will never have 1/4 of the damn problems I had with the crazy/poor engineered Linc. My 98 Volvo 2.3 HPT is twice the car the LS was and not a maintenance hog! 51k miles on it in 16 years! Never by something like the Linc LS, V6 or V8 again, junk to maintain. I someone has to do all the maintenance I did on their LS I would advice them to save their money and buy a lot better vehicle! Real quick! BMWs aren't this hard to maintain, as I had a M3 for years and a Mazda RX7 also. Got a Maserati Ghibli now, 4 times the car the junk LS was! Good Luck! For the same money for a used LS buy a Toyota or a Honda and save a fortune in frustration and money!

And I thought I was the only guy on this forum that wants to trade the LS off. I am finishing up another V6 coil job today, last one only lasted 3 years/20K miles. My daughter drives this car and goes off to school next fall, so if these coils can last a year, I will be trading her off. It's a great car most of the time, but the limp home mode comes along way too often for me.

There are four tricks to getting long* coil life.

1. Use legitimate OEM coils, the newer the rev the better.
2. Always replace the spark plugs at the same time, even if they have very few miles on them.
3. Always verify the plug gap and adjust as needed. 1.0mm for the V8, 1.3mm for the V6.
4. Don't let the engine overheat.

*: Long defined as 70K to 100K miles

Wow, so it's almost 5 years since I last did the coils. I cheaped out on them last time (generic ebay), which is why I think I'm back in there now (even though 5 years, only another ~15k mi).

One coil failed a couple years ago (luckily driver side), but things were ok until I started getting some intermittent misfires over the last few months. Then I got some really bad misfiring (flashing check engine) a few weeks ago. So I got some Visteon coils and went to town. Plug 3 had a bit of oil, but 6 was again soaked. I don't know why the plug gaskets are still the hard black instead of the blue (got the Felpro set), but I think a better plug gasket would take care of this issue.

Last time, I didn't use sealant because I thought that meant trying to put a small bead all the way around. But now I understand that sealant only goes in a couple spots (over the half-moons towards the back and the seams in the front corners). I did have some oil leaks, but not enough to require re-doing the job.

Anyways, since I put some sealant down this time, I rushed a little to get the first cover (passenger) on, and it was not totally aligned. I figured the bolts would slide it in place. But aluminum is easy to strip, and that's what happened on the rear center bolt. I went ahead and installed the rest of the bolts, but thought maybe I'd use a torque wrench all around to compensate for the stripped bolt. I used a 3/8 Harbor Freight wrench that is barely rated for such a low (7-8 ft/lb) torque. Sure enough, I snapped the first one (front center).

With 2 bad bolts, both in the center (plug gasket), I figured I needed to fix it. The broken bolt eventually came out after an overnight soak w/ penetrant and then just a left-handed drill bit. Started with a small diameter, which didn't move it but did level the broken part, and then it just screwed out once I tried a larger bit.

Last edited:
To repair the rear stripped hole, I bought a $10 6mm x 1.0 threaded insert kit (aka heli-coil) off ebay that came with a drill and tap. But not the T-handle to drive the tap. So I got the Harbor Freight tap/die kit for like $15 since a T-handle was several bucks anyways. But now I had to remove the cowl brace to drill the rear bolt hole. Thanks to LS4me for the tip about pushing down on the wiper to wiggle it loose!

Then, although I sprayed some penetrant, one of the cowl bolts snapped. When it rains it pours! Straightforward coil replacement was now a big ass pain. To avoid breakage, I think you gotta let it soak at least overnight, maybe wiggle it back and forth a little, or even hit it with a torch to break it loose before trying to remove.

Since there's only like a 1/4" of bolt contacting the frame, I thought I might be able to wiggle it out from the bottom. Jacking the car just a couple inches gives access via the wheel well, but I could not turn it at all with vise-grips. So I started drilling it out. I went from 1/8" to 3/16" and then got it to move when cranking vise-grips from the bottom. After a million 10 degree turns, it came out. I bought replacement class 10 8mm x 1.25 bolts from Home Depot (and a 30mm 6mm x 1.0 bolt for the broken valve cover bolt).

Drilling the heli-coil hole was nothing compared to drilling the hardened steel cowl bolt, and tapping aluminum was easy enough using just some 3-in-1 as lube (and substituting a small bolt for one arm of the T-handle to avoid the wiring harness in the rear). All this time, I thought I could get away without removing the valve cover, but when I went to try screwing in the insert, I fumbled with the needle nose and dropped it.

Hunk of metal in the valve train didn't sound good, so I pulled the cover. Good thing, because I didn't realize the rear bolt hole went through a metal tongue, i.e. not a dead-end hole into solid metal. So there was a bunch of metal shavings from the stripped threads and drilling and new tapped hole. Glad I cleaned that stuff out (by sticking on my finger or Q-tip) before it could get sucked into the engine!

Which brings me to my question: I can't find the insert that I fumbled. Is there an oil passage or something that it could have fallen down? I stuck a magnet all down in there, tried a shop-vac, got nothing. I don't see any holes, but the oil must go somewhere! I've read about other cars where they say you might have to drop the oil pan to find stuff dropped in the valve train. Is that my best bet?

Members online

Back