A/C compressor and overheating issues :(

RJGill84

LVC Member
Reaction score
I got my a/c recharged about 3 days ago. Today while sitting at a stop light my car started steaming, so I pulled into a gas station. The steaming wasn't too bad, but it was accompanied by a high pressure air escaping. Got back into the car, and the a/c was fire hot, previously it was ice cold. What could this be? I also have random overheating issues. I've bled the system per the instructions and it hasn't helped. It will go a week or two without an issue, and then repeatedly overheat. It goes away immediately as soon as I turn the heat on. Had a pressure test done yesterday and it's all good.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Year? Mileage? Engine? But, It's most likely time to replace ALL of the plastic cooling system parts. Your main problem is probably the degas bottle have small cracks that leak under pressure.

Replacing all of the components is necessary even if the dealer pressure tested it and said no issues? The compressor may have been disabled as a result of the overheating, but it definitely leaked all the refrigerant out - it's now empty. Refrigerant and leak dye was spewing out.

Replacing all of the components is necessary even if the dealer pressure tested it and said no issues? The compressor may have been disabled as a result of the overheating, but it definitely leaked all the refrigerant out - it's now empty. Refrigerant and leak dye was spewing out.

1. Yes. The pressure test doesn't pick up tiny micro-cracks, and it doesn't cover all the situations at different temperatures and engine stresses. There is a lot of experience on this board that points to this as the solution.

2. Then you have a separate problem with the AC. The leaking component(s) will have to be replaced.

Members online

No members online now.
Back