Check Engine (Sputtering/missing when cold)

LJS30

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well here we go guys. I received a check engine light with a mild miss upon start up that seemed to go away after the engine was warmed up. The check engine light nonetheless remained. Without putting it on a computer what could the issue possibly be?

Well here we go guys. I received a check engine light with a mild miss upon start up that seemed to go away after the engine was warmed up. The check engine light nonetheless remained. Without putting it on a computer what could the issue possibly be?

Without checking the code(s) it could be any of a thousand causes. The best bet is always coils and plugs. Get the codes read.

The issue could be a slight misfire as one or more of the coils or spark plugs are, or have failed.

Without the specific code it could be ANYTHING.......

Well is this going to be costly if it is indeed a coil?

If you really want help, you are going to have to give some detail. Just to start with, year of LS, engine (V8 or V6), and odometer. If could be free, or it could be expensive.

Here are the details:

2001 LS
V-8
155,000 miles
New Cats
Two new oxygen sensors
Well taken care of as I just bought it a month ago and am still learning the car.
I am 5'11 216lbs...brown hair..... :)

Take a ride to your local Auto Zone store and ask the counter person to pull the code. It's free and they will print the code number along with a generic description of the problem. Use that code number to google search that will usually bring you right back here with your answer. Add "OBD II code" phrase on the search line before entering the code number that Auto Zone gave you. There are many You Tube videos on how to do and you can decide if it is a repair you wish to tangle with.

Too late this is my car and I am going to work with it until it's right. However I do have an 88 Mark 7 and Toyota Camry for back up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back