Car Will Not Stop Overheating..

Sikness

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ok so im about to sell or ground the ls for a while to do a motor swap if i cant get it to stop overheating. i know this is a common issue with these pieces of junk but i need a final solution. i have literally changed every single bit of the cooling system, including the fan. still overheated. i even took the thermostat OUT and it still overheats. my mechanic/friend said the only thing he can think is from previous overheat instances that it may have done damage to the inside of the aluminum heads (cracks) and that could possibly be causing the overheating issue. we are gonna take out the solenoids on the system and if that doesnt work then i give up. anyone have any input or solutions?

Bleed the system EXACTLY as the instructions say.

he did it when we did the radiator and fan recently. and still overheating. could always try that again tho.

he did it when we did the radiator and fan recently. and still overheating. could always try that again tho.

Well, unless he did it EXACTLY (which most mechanics don't know how to do), there is still air in the system.

thats pretty ridiculous, ive owned about 30 cars and NEVER ONCE had to do anything like this. these things are such sensitive pieces of junk, should have never traded my ls1 for this lemon.

thats pretty ridiculous, ive owned about 30 cars and NEVER ONCE had to do anything like this. these things are such sensitive pieces of junk, should have never traded my ls1 for this lemon.

Then sell and move on...... One thing about progress, it gets more and more technical. I still wouldn't trade any of my LSes for my old '64 1/2 Mustang. I've spent many fewer necessary hours under the hood of my LS than my Mustang!

That's why they're called technicians these days and not mechanics.....

haha, there becomes a point where they need to lay off. i made a huge mistake in getting one of these junkers. id have a ford small block or gm LS based motor over this ANY DAY. i keep hoping when it overheats that it will pop the motor so im FORCED to swap it for a 5.0 or LS1 lol..

haha, there becomes a point where they need to lay off. i made a huge mistake in getting one of these junkers. id have a ford small block or gm LS based motor over this ANY DAY. i keep hoping when it overheats that it will pop the motor so im FORCED to swap it for a 5.0 or LS1 lol..

Before you think you can just swap in another engine, you might want to EXTENSIVELY search for the LSX car. It can be done, but it will be a toy and not your daily driver.

my mechanic/friend is a BEAST, he said he can swap for 5.0 or LS1. G-rell, can i help you with something? lol

swap_LincolnLS_46turbo-6.jpg now this is beautiful ;-)

swap_LincolnLS_46turbo-6.jpg

does his overheat all the time? HAHA jk.
Don't know, but mine doesn't overheat at all, no matter how hard I push it. I will reiterate that bleeding a modern engine is a very different procedure than before. You've got to get every single air pocket out of the system. It's not straightforward.
And this is on the assumption that your engine is healthy....

Don't know, but mine doesn't overheat at all, no matter how hard I push it. I will reiterate that bleeding a modern engine is a very different procedure than before. You've got to get every single air pocket out of the system. It's not straightforward.
And this is on the assumption that your engine is healthy....

Yeah, it's funny that neither of mine have ever overheated, and it gets pretty hot here at times...

The only time mine any of our 4 did is when the degas reservoir cracked on the 2000.....

bled it per spec and over heated the next day. its gotta be head damage because EVERYTHING else has been replaced and theres no thermostat in it. its going to the scrapyard, im done messing with it..

bled it per spec and over heated the next day. its gotta be head damage because EVERYTHING else has been replaced and theres no thermostat in it. its going to the scrapyard, im done messing with it..

Did you check the hydrolic fan.

Did you check the hydrolic fan.

I don't remember your year, but if the pump for the hydraulic fan is failing and not allowing it to spin on high (apparently, usually the actuator), the car will overheat. Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt.

hydraulic fan? i have replaced the stock fan with a better stronger electric fan and it spins just fine. still overheating, going to just sell for whatever i can get and move on, these things are junk.

...going to just sell for whatever i can get and move on, these things are junk.

Perhaps yours is, but I assure you that neither of mine are (neither have ever overheated or failed to operate).

ive run across several people that have gotten rid of them because of this. also had a tech from ford garage say 90% of these that overheat have cracks in the heads that causes it. glad yours wasnt junk like this one lol.

Funny how the S-Type doesn't seem to have the same problem.........

Like I've said before, no cooling issues with the 4 LSes (and a total of over 380K miles) we have/had.....

Members online

Back