P0304, P0174 Pending, Rough shaking putty idle.

Chinden

LVC Member
Reaction score
2002 Lincoln LS V6 1st Gen. So today after work my car spit a 2 codes P0304 and p0174 pending... Hooked up to reader and saw misfire cylinder 4 and a bank is running to lean... Just recently did all coils, sparkplugs, egr valve, intake manifold gaskets, cleaned throttlebody, did alternator cause battery wouldnt keep charge. Took out MAF cleaned aswell. Also changed the PCV Valve and the rubber elbow. Had no problems or engine lights for 2-3 weeks and now I have this problem.. My defrost makes a burning rubber smell now aswell which im almost 98% sure is the compressor.. but im stumped on what is throwing me these codes.. Car revs from 1000-2000 sometimes until warm and stays at 2k if i give it gas once for about 5 secs.. I'm almost 90% sure this is the iac but i dont want to go waste money.. Now i've read some posts about the Manifold "O" rings being out of placement and go back into placement once the car is warm.. Once i start it for the day its pretty good unless it gets decently cold out.. My guess is Iac is stuck open.. Any advice ?

i threw 304 a couple weeks ago and it was the coil. what coils did you use?

Iac or TPS is the only things left i could even think of. Or these "O" rings people are speaking of.

The O rings are for the Intake manifold tuning valves. Im not sure about the gen 1 but on gen 2 they are located on pass side of the intake plenum. They are round black plastic with an electrical connector. The valves change position in response to engine temp. The O rings will fail and leak oil on manifold and cause a vacum leak resulting in a lean code. If condition is not corrected lean code could cause cat to fail prematurely( As I found out the hard way) Good Luck

I have the 01 V6 with leaky O ring in the tuning valve. changed it and it failed again. no codes are generated by the leaking o-ring, the oil will drip onto the hot manifold and you will see mystery smoke coming from the engine compartment. Its at the rear of the engine on the passenger side next to the air intake box, so you do smell the burning oil. You need to remove two bolts and the wire harness connector to the valve, slide the valve to the rear, cut off the old o-ring, push a new ring over the end of the valve into the slot, reinstall. There is just enough room to do this, otherwise remove the air box to get more room.

The 304 is misfire, coil issues,,,,,174 is due to 304, fix 304 and 174 should go away. have you changed your valve gaskets? maybe oil is leaking into the spark plug sockets which is common. Use platinum plugs.

I am almost 98% sure water is leaking inside the wells or it is a vacuum leak... No idea what else lol gonna do iac and tps soon probably aswell.. Not losing oil.

Members online

No members online now.
Back