What would cause a crack like this?

firemanls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Washed my car 3 days ago, when it was warm. (50 degrees or so). No new body damage. Now when I leave to go to work this morning I find this crack. I haven't hit anything and the last person to drive my ls (girlfriend) said she didn't hit anything. Any ideas? IMG_20140103_073700_963.jpgIMG_20140103_073704_972.jpg

I guess its time to upgrade to the LSE bumper I want, But isn't it near impossible to match the tri coat?

IMG_20140103_073700_963.jpg

IMG_20140103_073704_972.jpg

Maybe somebody hit you, or your girlfriend did they never say true when they do something to the LS.

PROBABLY but I'm not the person who can answer that I live in Florida that's no common with me.

Ahh would love to be there right about now.
Im guessing your Lincoln came with the LSE bumper correct? or did you do it yourself?

So I can rule out that the cold weather probably had nothing to do with it?

I think that the cold did have something to do with it. I am assuming (but don't know for a fact) that there was a minor impact. If it had been warmer, it probably would have flexed slightly and done no damage. Since it was very cold, it cracked instead.

Disclaimer: This is all just a guess.

I think that the cold did have something to do with it. I am assuming (but don't know for a fact) that there was a minor impact. If it had been warmer, it probably would have flexed slightly and done no damage. Since it was very cold, it cracked instead.

Disclaimer: This is all just a guess.

That was my first guess.

And another question, since I will probably get the LSE cover replacement, would I need to buy the fog light brackets as well or will the old ones still fit?

You need the brackets as well. Sorry to see this. Rule of thumb. Don't let women drive your car unless you are in it.

Okay. Anyone know where I can get The bumper and brackets from? ford dealer wants around 800. I was maybe looking at around 300 range.

its possible it was damaged before and thats a bad repair showing... wont know till you pull it off.

+1 on the GF though :D

$300 won't get you the bumper, brackets and fog lights. The LSE bumper is becoming more scarce as time goes by and will run you an easy $300 itself. If you can't afford a new one I would suggest looking around at part yards for a wrecked 06' and see if you can negotiate on price with them

$300 won't get you the bumper, brackets and fog lights. The LSE bumper is becoming more scarce as time goes by and will run you an easy $300 itself. If you can't afford a new one I would suggest looking around at part yards for a wrecked 06' and see if you can negotiate on price with them

Im just want to keep under 6-700 bucks. Paint alone said around 400.

Just a warning on the round fog lights.
I have the rectangular fogs (plastic lens) on my 04. I've never had to touch them.
I have the round fogs (glass lens) on my 06. I've replaced them a few times now due to the lens being broken. So much so, that the last time one broke I just left it broken. That was a year or three ago.

try LKQ on your area, http://www.lkqcorp.com/us/en/search-inventory.aspx

here's the price range on my area if you can't find it in your local boneyard.

101-00491D Used Sugg. Retail: $0.00 Avail. For Zip: NO
BUMPER COVER - FRONT 2003 to 2005 painted trim, round fog lamp holes
101-00491B Used Sugg. Retail: $0.00 Avail. For Zip: NO
BUMPER COVER - FRONT 2003 to 2005 chrome trim, round fog lamp holes
101-00491C Used Sugg. Retail: $300.00 Avail. For Zip: YES
BUMPER COVER - FRONT 2003 to 2005 painted trim, rectangular fog lamp holes
101-00491A Used Sugg. Retail: $0.00 Avail. For Zip: NO
BUMPER COVER - FRONT 2003 to 2005 chrome trim, rectangular fog lamp holes
FO1000539R Aftermarket Sugg. Retail: $289.00 Avail. For Zip: NO
BUMPER COVER; FRONT; WO/LSE PACKAGE; REMANUFACTURED OE
FO1000577R Aftermarket Sugg. Retail: $461.00 Avail. For Zip: NO
BUMPER COVER; FRONT; LSE; REMANUFACTURED OE

When my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid got rear-ended last year, I just decided to buy a bumber cover myself from LKQ and have somebody professionally paint it. I bought the used OEM bumper for $180, $300 when new from dealer and the guy charged me $180 for painting. Collision shop wants $1000 for the simple fix, I just pocketed the rest :) I just looked for the painter in craigslist, he posted samples of his work at his home (it;s really cheaper to go directly to him than to the collision shop where he works)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.519870758054381.1073741825.224136597627800&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...627800.-2207520000.1388773129.&type=3&theater

I think I might just wait. I was told that a professional painter even has a hard time mixing this paint. Thought about re painting my whole car, but with the hail damage still on it, it was coming around 5k. plasti dip might be a option later. But until then I think I can get it patched from the back or something like that? just to hold until I can save a bit more.

I think I might just wait. I was told that a professional painter even has a hard time mixing this paint. Thought about re painting my whole car, but with the hail damage still on it, it was coming around 5k. plasti dip might be a option later. But until then I think I can get it patched from the back or something like that? just to hold until I can save a bit more.

5k is an excellent price for a whole vehicle paint job. Especially if they were fixing some hail damage also.

I agree with Joe that while it didn't crack solely because of the cold temp, the cold temp would cause it to crack much more easily from a very small impact.

and its kinda hard to tell from the pic whether or not its dirt, but in the second picture, it does look like contact with something was made and left a little scuff, right at the far right edge of the crack, it looks like there is a light black scuff line at the top of the vertical section of the bumper right before it radiuses under the trim piece that isnt cracked.

also if you look right above the trim piece on the right side, you can see where just the paint itself cracked.

can't say whether or not the GF had anything to do with it, but somebody either hit something with your car, or hit your car with theirs...

And, it could very well have happened when the GF had it but she didn't know. She parks, goes in a store, someone backs into your car and goes on, she comes back out and leaves without seeing the damage, gets out at home without seeing the damage. This is the problem with having plastic bumper covers instead of the old big steel bumpers.

Just a warning on the round fog lights.
I have the rectangular fogs (plastic lens) on my 04. I've never had to touch them.
I have the round fogs (glass lens) on my 06. I've replaced them a few times now due to the lens being broken. So much so, that the last time one broke I just left it broken. That was a year or three ago.

And they get scratched up over time and look like hell if they don't break. But I still like the beat up round fogs better then pristine square ones.

It`s a shame, but thats what you get with plastic in cold weather, unless you live in tropical weather, there`s basically no give. Your lucky it wasn`t the rear.

Members online

No members online now.
Back