Improving Gas Mileage!

The app is free, a calculator is not. And the app does it for you ;)

Ahh, modern conveniences.. :)

Ah, a comment from the 'stupid' phone users... (No hate intended)

I just reset the 'B' trip meter when I fill the tank, then once I fill the tank again multiply in the odometer error times the mileage (x .95) and divide that by the gallons of gas in my noggin.

You can figure your odometer error easily enough on the interstate by averaging out your distance over a bunch of mile markers. My LS goes reads 1.05 miles between each marker. My speedo is off about the same percentage with stock sized tires. It's optimistic...

If you don't know how accurate your odometer is you truly have no idea what you mileage is.

BTW, my LS warms up long enough for the idle to drop to 1000rpm, then off we go.

Ah, a comment from the 'stupid' phone users... (No hate intended)

BTW, my LS warms up long enough for the idle to drop to 1000rpm, then off we go.

No offense taken ;)

Usually I start my car, give it a little rev so the RPMs drop to 1000 and then I take off. I hate sitting with my engine running, it bothers me. First thing I do after putting the car in park is turn off the engine :)

No offense taken ;)

Usually I start my car, give it a little rev so the RPMs drop to 1000 and then I take off. I hate sitting with my engine running, it bothers me. First thing I do after putting the car in park is turn off the engine :)

I never wait for the idle to drop. I just put it in gear and go. This is true for the two LSes, BMW, and Ranger. It was true for four Grand Marquis, one LTD, and one Thunderbird. (I had some carbureted cars too, but I did have to wait some on those.) I never had any issues from not waiting.

That's part of your problem. While the car stand still and warms up it gets 0mpg. What's more, because the engine has no work to do it is warming up kind of slow. I let my van only warm up standing still until the idle drops from 1500 to 1000. Then I put it in D and go easy. Depending on outside temp it will be warm after 1.5 to 3 miles.
I wait for the drop in RPM's to be easy on the torque converter and the transmission.

Just as an FYI, I warm my car up for about two minutes before I drive it, its warmed up to operating temp by the time I hit the end of my road, which is about a mile. I will never get rid of my LS I love my car, just curious if anybody had any input on improving it.

That's part of your problem. While the car stand still and warms up it gets 0mpg. What's more, because the engine has no work to do it is warming up kind of slow. I let my van only warm up standing still until the idle drops from 1500 to 1000. Then I put it in D and go easy. Depending on outside temp it will be warm after 1.5 to 3 miles.
I wait for the drop in RPM's to be easy on the torque converter and the transmission.

Same here, for the same reason. Let the rpm get below ~1000 and ease on down the road.

Wow, wasteful. I start and go unless it's below about 15 degrees. Above that, and I just go. Won't take the RPMs over about 2000 until the temp gauge is moving though.

The app is free, a calculator is not. And the app does it for you ;)

Ahh, modern conveniences.. :)

phones have calculators (mine can even graph!). mileage/gallons=~avg mpg
;)

idk about the rest of the states, but california gets winterized gas and it causes a marked decrease in the MPG. Get over it.

You can check you air filter, fuel filter, plugs, and oil. Thats about it. Drive with cruise control, coast to red lights. when accelerating, try not to go over 2k rpms.

I get 18-19MPG/avg with mixed driving. I can get as low as 15mpg with a lead foot, so pay attention to your habits.

Also, next time you buy tires look for ones that say they improve mpg. Some are really grippy (yeah i made it up) and cause the mpg to go down.

22-24 city? Even if you never come to a stop, there's no way to get that without going at least 45 and getting into 5th gear. You MIGHT squeak out 20 city if you're able to just roll along at 30 and never touch the brakes and the road is slightly downhill and wind at your back.

His highway numbers are plausible. I have managed 28.3 mpg on my 35 mile commute each way with a lot of conscientious driving. It included about 5 miles "city" type driving before and after the highway. There was also 3 different highway merges.

It was absolutely boring driving that way. My leg started to hurt resisting the urge to go 65-70. The driving experience was a lot better when I stuck to 65 and my average for the tank was 23.4. I got 400 mile actual range with a little spare fuel though its not great for the fuel pump to run the tank too low. This was probably 70/30 highway/city stop and go.

I too like to wait for the car to idle down to 1K before shifting into gear. After that, you're good to go. Anything longer is a waste which averages a bunch of 0's into your reading. Anything shorter and you may as well do neutral drops.

Always use premium fuel at least 91 octane. Anyone that says otherwise is WRONG. If you have an SCT engine tune, you may need 93 minimum. This particular topic has been beat like a drum on these forums so that's all there is to say there.

Perhaps one other thing to point out that is more in line with this thread topic is that the car is not warmed up despite what the dashboard reads. The oil takes much longer to warm up (about 20 minutes) and if you are not using a full synthetic, it is a lot harder to flow the oil while it is cold. This raises drag in the engine and when combined with your short commute not letting the car warm up and lean out its air/fuel mixture, could be to blame.

You may want to consider switching to a 0W-20 full synthetic though this would be more for engine preservation than MPG gain. Change it frequently if you only use the car for short trips. Do basic maintenance like air filters and fuel filters. If spark plugs were never done and have over 100K on them, replace them too, ensuring proper gap specified in the manual. Replace misfiring coils.

Other things to try; this one is easy... turn off the A/C compressor on the climate control. If your windows are not fogging up, you can turn off the A/C button. Front windshield defogger depends on the compressor running so you can't turn it off with the A/C button. This compressor will SUCK up gobs of engine power (one of the reasons why the car automatically disables it when you apply over 90% throttle). It should go without saying that your air won't blow super cold and/or dry if you have disabled the A/C compressor. If the windows do fog suddenly, press the defogger button and crank the temperature to 90 until it clears.

Ease into the throttle so you don't give it more than you need. Anticipate stops ahead of you, whether its other cars, or lights/signs and coast up to them from as far back as you can. Ensure proper tire pressures. Clean out crap you don't need in the car and then report back on your improvements! :)

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=2037217400&postcount=18

Well, no wonder your mileage is so bad. If you would stop doing this, you would get slightly better mileage and probably slightly better engine and exhaust system life. Warming up a car by idling it is a bad practice.

Thought well taken, wont do anymore. And I have done the calculations myself and it comes out to pretty close to the same numbers that are on the dash.

The drop in RPM on startup is likely due to O2 sensors that run at a default setting until they heat up to operating temp, at which time they feed real info to the computer and then your RMPs drop. I see no reason not to at least give this amount of time to the engine to allow the oil to circulate before I put it under load. I have 229k miles on my '99 F150, because I baby it.

On increasing mileage, an intake helps for about 2mpg. I add 100% acetone to each tank of gas, at a ratio of 3 ounces acetone to 10 gallons of gas. This has consistently gotten me a 10% increase in MPG in other vehicles. I've already started doing it in my new 05 Lincoln LS. Can't say if the trend continues in this car yet. I need some more testing over time to be sure. But I know in my truck that gauge falls so much quicker every time I forget or run out of acetone.

I got that acetone idea from a site about high mileage driving. It's one of many tricks they use. They also talk about finding non-ethanol-added gas. I don't think this option exists anymore. All gas has that alcohol in it drops your MPG. The acetone works because it breaks up the surface tension of the gas molecule, allowing it to atomize in the engine better. People fear it will impact their fuel hoses. I've never had a problem. Point is, gas is a solvent and so is acetone. If gas can go through a fuel line and not disintegrate it, then so can acetone. There are something like 300 additives in gasoline and one of them is acetone. So don't discount it out of hand before you try it.

I use a glass measuring cup with ounce markers and a funnel. Each time I fill up I add, for this car, about 5 ounces of acetone. It's better than adding Techron, as far as results and cleaning ability, and far cheaper. I buy acetone by the gallon at Home Depot for about $16.

What those high mileage guys would do is, after getting the best gas they could and adding acetone, they would extra seats out of the car, every possible piece of extra weight. These guys would take the spare tire out! Then they would form homemade wheel well covers, like on the back of one of those Honda Insights:

2000-honda-insight-photo-516699-s-520x318.jpg

That's the destination of the high milers. Pulling off any external drag items like wind deflectors, railing/storage bars, and then making those wheel well covers. If they could get another mpg to brag about, they would take out their driver's seat and replace it with a lawn chair.

But what you have to realize is that gas, even when prices are high, is probably the smallest or next to smallest cost of ownership. If the car is paid off and you only have liability, maybe gas is more expensive than insurance. But are you financing? That's more than gas. Do you have expensive repairs? That's more, too. I already spent a lot on my car in maintenance and I've had it a couple of weeks.

So enjoy this big, luxurious car. Stomp on that gas pedal occasionally. If you start feeling guilty about your MPG, then just keep your speed down, keep your foot out of it. That's really the main thing, they say. You can conserve the most just by slowing down and reducing the air resistance.

2000-honda-insight-photo-516699-s-520x318.jpg

The drop in RPM on startup is likely due to O2 sensors that run at a default setting until they heat up to operating temp, at which time they feed real info to the computer and then your RMPs drop. ...

Nice theory but not really the case. (Yes, the O2 sensors have to heat up to be usable and that takes a little time.)

The idle speed is PCM controlled. It is raised on purpose on a cold engine to meet emissions requirements and to speed up the warming up of the O2 sensors and more so the catalytic converters. Once this is accomplished, the PCM lowers the idle speed back to normal.

Nice theory but not really the case. (Yes, the O2 sensors have to heat up to be usable and that takes a little time.)

The idle speed is PCM controlled. It is raised on purpose on a cold engine to meet emissions requirements and to speed up the warming up of the O2 sensors and more so the catalytic converters. Once this is accomplished, the PCM lowers the idle speed back to normal.

It's also raised to keep the car running when cold, ie acting like a choke on a carbed vehicle. With EFI Live I have the option of controlling this on my truck, and when I lowered the idle speed too much (was experimenting, looking for the lowest idle speed that would run well) it wouldn't stay running when cold. The PCM sets idle speed according to coolant temperature, and also sets open vs closed loop according to coolant temp. On my truck, it goes closed loop when the coolant hits about 130 degrees.

I think you lose the fun in driving this car if gas mileage is an issue. I prefer to drive this car on highways to get more mileage but for my daily driver it's my camry hybrid. The camrys are really boring to drive and you could tell the driving dynamics on both cars are different. One is geared towards fun/spirited driving while the hybrid is energy conservation (probably can't have both)

I tried using this car on my daily commute to downtown KC and with the recent(and ongoing) construction on I-35Higway, I wasted a lot of gas idling in premium. I don't have to worry in my hybrid since the gas engine shutoff when idling.

Although the engine in the hybrid is a 4cylinder, the CVT make it's torquey (or have more power) when passing on the highway. A very seamless transition, the crappy transmission probably contributed to a not so decent gas mileage on LS.

I add 100% acetone to each tank of gas, at a ratio of 3 ounces acetone to 10 gallons of gas. This has consistently gotten me a 10% increase in MPG in other vehicles. I've already started doing it in my new 05 Lincoln LS. Can't say if the trend continues in this car yet. I need some more testing over time to be sure. But I know in my truck that gauge falls so much quicker every time I forget or run out of acetone.

If what you say holds true, at $3.15 / gallon the net savings per gallon of fuel is about $0.25.

Exactly. What I found on other vehicles is I could improve MPG about 10%+ city and 20%+ highway. On a truck or big sedan, that doesn't amount to much. 14 MPG versus 12 MPG is not going to put a lot of dollars in your pocket. But I still add the acetone, just for my own curiosity and testing. I believe it keeps the fuel system cleaner and it is a positive savings over pure gas. But it's a perfect example of how there is no silver bullet on MPG except buying a Prius, which is like driving a beer can and it's slow in hybrid-only mode. The only way to really come anywhere close to that MPG would be to pull out seats, put in a carbon fiber hood, all these things would have to be done to have a real cumulative effect.

It all goes back to what % of your car budget is spent on gas. You would have to have the most monster commute to justify a Prius, and even then, you would probably still be spending more in insurance and loan payments. The best thing adding acetone to your gas does is alleviate your gas guzzler guilt, if you have that.

I've done the acetone thing in the past, never actually had any positive results from it. However, so far as fun plus mileage goes, the Corvette is fun, and gets in the 30MPG range when driven nicely.

We're about to see a huge change in the automotive world, between turbochargers, variable valve engines, DOD systems and direct injection. I'm figuring in another 10 years, we'll be seeing close to 50MPG in cars that will pull 12s in the quarter mile. And just wait until they are able to make the electric valve work more reliably. Imagine having an engine that can change cam profiles depending upon the needs of the instant. You could have a cam profile that makes maximum MPGs at 70MPH while traveling 70MPH, that instantly switches to a max power profile for 70MPH when you floor it AND adjusts itself for max power at 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, ect, as you accelerate. The electric valves aren't reliable enough yet for street use, and they've not even settled on how they will actually control the valves (have seen electric, air pressure, ect discussed) but eventually they will work it out and the camshaft will disappear. That's also when 10 second quarter miles and 100+MPG become common.

Even today, the vehicles are getting amazing mileage. I rented a new Chevy Suburban to go see my son graduate from Air Force basic, and I was seeing 19MPG in that gigantic beast while running 80-90MPH and carrying 4 adults plus a week's worth of luggage. What was really amazing about it was it handled like a much smaller vehicle, and was actually fun to drive. The Burb had a 5.3L, but I think if it would have had a 6.2L it would have gotten even better mileage as it would have stayed in V4 mode longer. It hardly ever stayed in V4 mode due to the aggressive way I was driving, which makes the 19MPG even more amazing. It probably would have pulled down 22-23MPG had I driven easy, and stayed at the speed limit.

Anyone who buys a 4-door sport sedan expecting good gas mileage bought the wrong car!!!! Personally, I get a kick out of punching it, getting the down-shift and hearing the intake growl when passing a Prius!!

If I my main concern was MPG I would have purchased a 4-banger, FWD appliance!

Ironicly, a significant portion of people I get speeding on the interstate are in a Prius. Seriously, running that small motor hard like that up and down the mountains gets you average car mileage. Geez.

Ironicly, a significant portion of people I get speeding on the interstate are in a Prius. Seriously, running that small motor hard like that up and down the mountains gets you average car mileage. Geez.

Not surprising. The ones I see are either speeding, or they are right behind someone else going below the speed limit. Right when you get up to them, that's when they decide to pull into the fast lane to pass going 1/4MPH faster than the car they are passing, requiring you to get on the brakes to avoid a rear-ender at highway speeds. They are among the more obnoxious drivers on the road.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

I changed my driving habits for about a month to see and I would get about 2 more MPG, my aggressiveness does not allow me to continually drive that way but it works if you can.

http://pure-gas.org/
If you are lucky enough to have real gas near you it may help, closest to me is like 90 miles away

http://www.toptiergas.com/
and better fuels tested by manufacturers. I was using Costco fuel for a while and noticed a drop in MPG, switched to Phillps 66 and Shell and it came back, so pay less for fuel and get worse mileage, or pay more for gas and get better mileage??? Other benefits to better fuel so I get the ones listed on the site

I go to great lengths to get shell. Everything I have ever owned runs better on shell gas. My LS runs better to the point that my totally car clueless girlfriend said something about it.

I also have good experience with Sunoco, even though it was not listed on that site. Back in the day the Sunoco's around here had five choices.

86, 87, 89, 92, 94 I haven't seen that in years though....
gaspump.jpg

That site listing ethanol free gasoline is useful, but the ones close to me, which really aren't that close upcharge like crazy for that. Oh well.

gaspump.jpg

You have the wrong impression, they just speed up because their mileage goes up. Going up the battery provides assist to the small engine, going down the engine turns off recharging the battery it even things out but it's still the average of a hybrid. Brake life too is extended because the braking is provided by the electric motor (it recharges the battery during braking, coasting/downhill) I personally don't like the Prius, the Camry and Avalon Hybrid are the best so far in my opinion (those two look like normal cars).

I agree with letting the car warm up until the idle drops ,Waiting until oil reaches the top of your motor ensures proper lubrication, Taking care of your motor especially in cold weather makes for a happy Ls .

...They are among the more obnoxious drivers on the road.

The most out of this world obnoxious cut-off artists in my area INVARIABLY drive the BMW 300 series. Youngish, too many hormones circulating for good driving behavior, they have something to prove on the road and that Beemer is the same size as their ego. If they can get a car length ahead of you, they have won the most important battle of their day.

Guys at my company that are top level execs drive the 700 series. They drive carefully and politely, with nothing to prove.

I'm not sure about the 500 series owners yet. But a 300, I give them lots of room.

Members online

No members online now.
Back