Wrecked my LS

Echoing what others have said, glad you are ok :Beer

It's to bad that another LS has gone down, let this be a reminder to everyone to be careful out there especially in the coming months.

Sorry for your loss, I know I would be bumming for sure. Happy to hear you are ok.

Damn that sucks - always liked your taste in mods/wheels to your car. As everybody else said, glad to hear you made out ok even if the LS didn't...

If you decide to part it out I may be interested in a few things - I'll keep posted

Glad you're okay! Such a scary thought thinking as how that could easily have ended worse, and that it can happen to any if us.. Really hope you can revive the LS!

Another unfortunate loss to the LS community, but good news is that you're okay.

As for the car, it's done. Everyone that says bumper, hood, fender, rad support, and cooling components is forgetting the $500+ headlights, not to mention the transmission flush/cooler, A/C flush/condensor and misc. hoses that your looking at replacing.

Include in all of that some pulleys and other engine mount accessories you'll be replacing and it will start adding up to more than it's worth.

IMO, you'd be better off going for an 06 or something else. Whatever you do, hopefully you'll stick around the forum.

Thanks for all the thoughts and helpful advice guys. At this point its looking like i'll be buying another car and parting the LS. I'm currently looking at B5 S4s, not looking for a permanent replacement just something to get me around with a little class while I save up for a nicer car (XF). Open to any suggestions sub $5k...

Also I've been getting your PMs I apologize if I don't answer immediately as you can imagine this has been a hectic time.

Dibs on the KYB shocks and rear end links.

btw: mlara, how'd those hold up for ya ? pleased with form fit function ? too stiff or perfect sport match ?

I liked them. In my opinion they are comparable to OEM sport shocks and made a good combo with my eibach springs (only had them in the rear though).

Thanks M, you still got a part number on those KYB's ... you think you might be parting those out
... not sure if with shipping to Canada it's going to be worth it.

Too bad those paper runs to the NJ Daily News on Theodore Conrad Drive at Liberty Park were short lived,
could have back hauled some mlara LS parts to Canada. Still got your McLaren grille here. Didn't get around to it.

The only thing I would know to do in this situation is start pulling all the obviously damaged parts and then start measuring the frame to see how it's tweaked. There is a diagram in the shop manual showing you all the measuring points for the front end. I am guessing the very front might be tweeked some seeing as how the DOT bumper got crumpled in. How far back it goes no clue.

Like was mentioned, if you have the time/skills then a front clip would definitely solve all your problems. Otherwise you just have to take all the bad off the car, see what is left, and measure it all a few times to make sure it's good/salvageable.

I just noticed the passenger side airbag didn't deploy. I don't remember reading that the LS has a passenger side occupant sensor......

I just noticed the passenger side airbag didn't deploy. I don't remember reading that the LS has a passenger side occupant sensor......

It must because in my first accident my airbag deployment was the opposite of mlaras. My passenger one went off but the drivers one did not. And then in my second crash they both went off.

It does. It also attempts to determine how much mass the passenger (and driver) have, and the seat positions.

SAAAAAWEEEEEET!!!! Is this in the OM and I missed it??

I misread it. Only the passenger gets classified.
From the service manual:

Occupant Classification Sensor

NOTE: It is necessary to rezero the OCS system when a front passenger seat cushion is disassembled, a new trim cover installed or an OCS service kit is installed. A diagnostic tool is used to trigger the active command to carry out rezeroing of the OCS system.

NOTE: The OCS is found only on the front passenger seat and is not equipped on all vehicles. A white tag having the letters OCS will appear under the front of the passenger seat to identify a seat equipped with an occupant classification sensor.

The seat OCS system is found only on the front passenger seat. The front passenger seat OCS system is comprised of a silicone gel-filled bladder mounted in the seat cushion, a pressure sensor that is mounted to the seat frame and an electronic control unit which is also mounted to the seat frame. Pressure is applied to the OCS bladder when weight of any occupant or object in the front passenger seat is present. The pressure is then transferred through a tube, is sensed by the OCS pressure sensor, then electronically communicated to the OCS electronic control unit. Based on programed limits, the OCS electronic control unit will inform the restraints control module (RCM), via a High Speed Controller Area Network (CAN), of the necessary information. The RCM uses this information in determining if the passenger air bag module or passenger seat side air bag module is to be deployed in the event of a deployable collision. The OCS system components (seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor and electronic control unit) are calibrated to each other and are serviced as an assembly. OCS system components are not to be installed separately. If installing a new OCS system, OCS system component or seat cushion foam pad, a new OCS system service kit (seat cushion foam pad, bladder with pressure sensor and electronic control unit) must be installed as an assembly.

Seat Position Sensor

The seat track position sensor is a Hall-effect sensor located on the driver seat track. Based on programmed limits, the seat track position sensor will inform the restraints control module (RCM) of the driver seat position. The RCM uses this information in determining the deployment rate of the dual-stage driver air bag module

The difference for Full vs. Liability are only a few bucks a month.

The payoff is worth every buck extra I spend.

I agree. I keep full coverage on everything as well. The difference for me between liability and full coverage on both my vehicles is about 300 bucks every 6 months, and that's with my coverage amounts all maxed out. The really nice thing about this is when I'm in an accident, the insurance company is potentially on the hook for about 5 million bucks all said, so I can count on a very robust team of lawyers to be used in case something goes bad. Incidentally, in some states (Oklahoma is one of them) has additive coverage on insurance, which means that if you have three cars, and each one is covered for 1 million dollars, when you have an accident you are covered for 3 million dollars. Found this out from my lawyer in an accident I was in a few years ago.

It's also a good idea to use a company that has a medpay option, and keep that maxed out.

When a Wal-Mart truck lost a chunk of leaf spring last year, tearing the hell out of the right front of my LS, my full coverage allowed me to get it right into the shop and get it fixed immediately instead of waiting on Wal-Mart's insurance company to get involved in the repairs, AND ensured that Wal-Mart's insurance company had no say-so in what quality level replacement parts were used. By the time they settled the bill, the car was fixed and they had no choice about what was to be paid for because it was done. Didn't have to worry about them trying to total it out either, USAA fixed the car even though I have HID headlights and the right housing was totally destroyed.

To us younger guys, full vs liability is more than just a few bucks more a month. For me when I wanted to get full coverage, it went up to about 1200 dollars for 6 months when I would pay about 600 for liability. That's doubling the rate so sometimes its not the most appealing insurance coverage, until your car is totaled.

To us younger guys, full vs liability is more than just a few bucks more a month. For me when I wanted to get full coverage, it went up to about 1200 dollars for 6 months when I would pay about 600 for liability. That's doubling the rate so sometimes its not the most appealing insurance coverage, until your car is totaled.

That's the thing about insurance, it costs too much until you need it. Consider that if you have an accident, and it's your fault, and you are injured, and you have liability only, tough nuts for you and your passengers unless you otherwise have good medical coverage. On top of that, your passengers can then sue you to pay their medical treatment, which means one accident and you're sunk forever. Having full coverage at that point would suddenly go from being too expensive to a Godsend. Yes, it's expensive when you're young and likely to do stupid stuff.

Why, I've never had full coverage on anything I've owed.

Wreck an LS and find out why. This car is waaaaay too expensive to repair if you wreck it. My full coverage costs $60/month for this car. Youre crazy not to. I also have $25k appraised coverage on my Cobra and liability on my $1800 beater.

Members online

No members online now.
Back