Parking brake doesn't click...

sacsfin3st

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Or lock when pulled up. Brake lights turns on on the cluster when parking brake is pulled up. It just doesn't click/lock into place.

Been this way since I've bought the car in FEB.

figured I would ask on here and see if its an easy fix.
Also. Can I use a multimeter to test conductivity to the brake light connectors to the bulbs to make sure power is making it to bulbs?
00 v8

wait what...its suppose to click? my ebrake light just comes on but as soon as i press on the accelerator it goes off and ebrake activated , i was never aware it was suppose to click

I've only ever had older cars ... When pulling the parking brake upwards (engaging parking brake) it makes clicking noises as it goes up. This is the clicking noise I am referring to. Since this has been this way since I bought the car, I am assuming it makes the same clicking noise.

Although, it sounds as though you have a Gen II LS? Those have push button parking brakes. And im sure pressing on the accelerator turns parking brake off. After looking at your other post, you do have a Gen II whereas mine is a Gen I

Gen I's have the old school pull up bar method.

oh cool, learn something new everyday lol

Are you saying your parking brake won't engage or just that it doesn't make any sound? My '00 doesn't make any sound when I pull on the parking brake handle.

As far as testing for continuity on the brake lights, as far as I know the only thing you can do is pull the bulb and use the multimeter to check for voltage across the connector when someone pushes the brake for you.

As for the multimeter question, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Parking brake, I don't know if they are supposed to click as you pull up, but they should at least lock no?

I do know its engaging, but unless I hold the brake lever up .. It doesn't stay up.

:(

A
Parking brake, I don't know if they are supposed to click as you pull up, but they should at least lock no?

I do know its engaging, but unless I hold the brake lever up .. It doesn't stay up.

:(

It should definitely stay up when you pull it, and then you push the button on the end to release it. How do you disengage the brake, if the lever just falls back down?

Sounds to me like the ratchet mechanism in the parking brake handle is not working properly, You will most likely need to remove the console/boot and see what is actually happening when you pull the lever up.

Members online

Back