what and how to install a tranny cooler easily

young mark 8 lover

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
id likd to know the best tranny cooler to put on a mark viii seeing that my 302k mark dont have a aftermarket one and whats the easiest way to install one

You really need to start using the search feature, finding this page took about 11 seconds- search 'trans cooler'= 456 results.
(Almost) every basic thing like trans coolers have been covered over and over. Personally, I don't use an auxillary trans cooler. My tune helps my trans to some degree
---
here ya go

Not unless you have an entire spare front clip laying around

And yeah, 300k is about time to shop for another Mark

At 300k if that is the original tranny a fluid change may be the death of it. All the friction material will be gone with the old fluid.

just remember that the return line is the on the top of the factory cooler

I hooked mine up backwards :shifty:

just remember that the return line is the on the top of the factory cooler

I hooked mine up backwards :shifty:

I'm gonna guess that it was backwards at the trans..but even there, that must've been a fight to get the fittings to seat

I'm gonna guess that it was backwards at the trans..but even there, that must've been a fight to get the fittings to seat
no no, I meant that I put my aftermarket cooler before the factory cooler when I thought I was doing it the other way. One of these days I'll get it switched around.

Use...doctor tranny instant shutter fix or something like that from oriellys. Your shutter will be gone. You change that fluid now and you'll be looking for another trans.

He won't look long, I've got a 97 trans I'll take $100 for :)

should i do the band aid fix by replacing the 1-2 shift accumalator while i change the fluid and filter

everyone says its a bandaid fix here the tranny shops wont do that or add a cooler because they even say its a band aid fix
Then you talk to not so smart people. A cooler is always nice because heat kills tran's. Also band aid fix means its a temporary hack fix. Changing a BROKEN part with a NEW part is the way all proper repairs are done. You most likely have a broken spring in the 1-2 accum and also FORD made new improved accum to replace old one. I think if FORD made the change its the way to go.

Then you talk to not so smart people. A cooler is always nice because heat kills tran's. Also band aid fix means its a temporary hack fix. Changing a BROKEN part with a NEW part is the way all proper repairs are done. You most likely have a broken spring in the 1-2 accum and also FORD made new improved accum to replace old one. I think if FORD made the change its the way to go.

because i dont want to change the fluid and still have the shuder and i dont want to have to pull the pan again

Installing a stand alone trans cooler isn't a band aid, it helps 2 things, keeps the trans fluid from radiator heat soak by the coolant. Also helps in that you don't have to remove trans lines from the radiator for a radiator replacement

Here's a few more pics for your viewing pleasure

20130808_103931.jpg

20130808_104116.jpg

20130808_105009.jpg

In this last pic, you'll see just the tip of my finger, as I'm pushing downward on the hood 2ndary latch. If you're in a Gen1 and mount your cooler as I did mine. It'll just touch the top of the cooler
20130808_105038.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back