01 Conti overheating problem.

gearhead291

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys i got the 01 motor/ trans in my 98, and im having a slight overheating problem, when im driving down the road, it will stay right on the middle reading. but if i sit still long enough in traffic it will start to warm up. but will stay in the normal range, i dont have a actual temp gauge so i dont have the exact temp but its surly warmer than it should be. anyways, if i put it in neutral, rev it to about 2-2.5k and hold it for about 20 seconds it will go back down to the correct temp and stay for about a minute or two. im thinking its the waterpump, but im worried it could be a clog, thoughts?

First thing I would check is to make sure all the air is out of the coolant loop. Could be a air pocket getting hung up at idle. Bleed it from the cross over tube. Gratz on the swap!

I assume the new engine included a new thermostat while it was all apart?

And yes -- very glad to hear the new engine is in & running well!

When you filled the motor with antifreeze it should have filled through the port at the 'H' pipe. If filled from the overflow tank, you will have trapped air. Glad to hear you did the motor swap.

First thing I would check is to make sure all the air is out of the coolant loop. Could be a air pocket getting hung up at idle. Bleed it from the cross over tube. Gratz on the swap!

I assume the new engine included a new thermostat while it was all apart?

And yes -- very glad to hear the new engine is in & running well!

When you filled the motor with antifreeze it should have filled through the port at the 'H' pipe. If filled from the overflow tank, you will have trapped air. Glad to hear you did the motor swap.

thanks guys, yea its a new thermostat that has been tested good, i just installed it before i posted this up. and i bled the system using the H pipe very well, i can bleed it again but i dont think there is any air. also the waterpump is from the old engine but is only gotten about 3 months use, it is a cheap duralast water pump tho.

also the lower radiator hose is a lot cooler than the hose that connects to the H pipe at operating temperature

i have bled it more and im not getting any more air out. im thinking about pulling just the connections at the radiator hoses and see how well it flows .

I forgot to ask in my first response. Are the fans kicking on at idle? If so are they blowing the right way? If you turn the heat on does it blow hot? And if you take the cross over plug out, is the coolant moving through the tube at a fast pace? Did both engines have the same part number for the thermostat?

I forgot to ask in my first response. Are the fans kicking on at idle? If so are they blowing the right way? If you turn the heat on does it blow hot? And if you take the cross over plug out, is the coolant moving through the tube at a fast pace? Did both engines have the same part number for the thermostat?

the fans turn on, the correct direction , heat blows hot(even tho i thought it wasnt quite as hot as it should be), and ill have to check how fast its moving. and yes same part number for the thermostat

well I Bled the cooling system this time for over an hour I got more air out of the system but the problem has gotten worse, the heat is hotter but it still over heats faster. But still cools when I rev it.

Also, it doesn't appear that the coolant is moving much and defiantly is not moving fast.

well...its still not fixed. ive had enough time to drive it, and its 100% RPM related. at idle(about 750 rpm) to about 1100 rpm it will creep to the "R or sometimes the M" in "norm" on the temp gauge. and if i rev it to about 2000/2500+ rpm for about 10 seconds it settles back down to the "O" on "Norm" where it should be. right where its always been. so im thinking a clogged radiator. Also, when i have a funnel sealed in the h-pipe to bleed the cooling system, and theres coolant in the funnel, if i rev it slightly, coolant shoots up out of the funnel. and im not sure if its trying to escape because theres a clog and it shoots out instead of just circulating. thoughts? im probably just gonna bite the bullet and buy a new radiator

new radiator & hoses ordered. hopefully it'll get here soon. and hopefully it fixes my problem. im also going to be upgrading to the newer better design, higher flowing waterpump, used in the 99 cobras i think.

What radiator did you get, factory or?

Did you check the old radiator for problems?

Two things happen when RPM goes up, water pump AND alternator spin faster, how is your battery and battery cables/connections?

Did it fix it?

Hope you got the cooling problem fixed. Can anyone confirm if the 99 cobra water pumps flow more and are they compatible with the Intec motors? I think my water pump is very noisy and if I decide to replace it I may as well upgrade.

Chet

Yes I would like to know this as well. I searched but wasn't sure . the overheating problem is a bad head gasket. Because the shop that did the install overheated it when they were testing it so now I'm waiting my replacement under warranty

Members online

No members online now.
Back