air conditioning condensor

55CrownVic

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 LS V8. Air conditioning quit a couple of weeks ago. Took it to a shop, they said it only had .5 oz of R134a. They recovered it, checked system, added 28 ozs of coolant. Post repair check was low side 30 PSI, high side 100 PSI, duct temp 60 F. Small leak detected at comp and manifold hose assembly. After a week, no comp engagement. I added about 6 or 7 oz of R134a, comp came on. Still no cooling. If feel of the condensor it it very hot where the high pressure line from compressor comes in and from about 1 or 2 inches away from fitting, the condensor is very cool. Logical to assume the compressor is plugged up? Also the hydraulic fan doesn't seem to ramp up when engage the comp. Car has 130,000 miles.
Thanks,
Ben Hess

... Logical to assume the compressor is plugged up? Also the hydraulic fan doesn't seem to ramp up when engage the comp. Car has 130,000 miles.
Thanks,
Ben Hess

No, that doesn't fit with my logic.
My logic says that either the compressor is leaking (not uncommon), the fill port on the manifold line is leaking (not unheard of either), or the o-rings between the compressor and the manifold line are leaking (I suspect this is sometime misdiagnosed). Of course, it could be a combination.

A few points:
1. R-134a is refrigerant, not coolant. There's a big difference.
2. It is normal for the condenser to get hot. That what it does. It will get very hot if the fan isn't working correctly.
3. Low refrigerant, bad engine cooling fan, and/or bad DCCV can all result in no cooling inside the car.
4. A clogged compressor will drag so badly that the engine won't idle right (it might stall) and the drive belt and clutch will slip.
5. A leak at or near the compressor will leak out almost all the oil before the refrigerant. Running the compressor without oil will ruin the compressor and the ruined compressor will contaminate the rest of the system. You don't want to see the bill for replacing a clogged expansion valve. Don't just add refrigerant and go. It needs oil too. It needs the leak fixed.
6. Note that a leaking compressor can't be fixed. It must be replaced.
7. 60 F at 30 PSI on the low side is too hot. Something else (like the cooling fan) is wrong too.

Joe, Thanks for quick reply. I know R134a is a refrigerant, just got lazy in typing. Point 2: my condenser isn't getting hot. Only hot spot is right where the line comes in. Rest of condenser is as cool as if car not running. Point 3: I don't know if engine cooling fan is bad or not, it runs but doesn't seem to speed up when turn on air cond. Just replaced DCCV about 4 months ago. Point 4: Comp doesn't drag down engine and no belt slippage so hoping it isn't clogged. Point 5: Not letting it run except to add the 6 oz of R1334a.
After it was serviced, the air conditioning was very cool for about 500 miles and a week or so. Car then sat for 4 or 5 days and then when used there was no cooling.
I am going to order a new compressor and have system vacuumed and serviced again. If it turns out to be expansion valve I guess I'll just open the moon roof, fill it with dirt and plant flowers.
Thanks again for the reply and if you have an idea as to why the condenser won't get hot except right at the incoming line I would appreciate knowing it.
Ben

... if you have an idea as to why the condenser won't get hot except right at the incoming line I would appreciate knowing it.
Ben

Insufficient refrigerant level, bad compressor, or failed (open) expansion valve.

If there is a leak in the compressor will there be any oil under the car or evidence of it?

If there is a leak in the compressor will there be any oil under the car or evidence of it?

It's a yellow-green colored oil. There is enough of it to make a small puddle in your garage. If you don't park such that you would ever notice it, then you could miss it long enough for all the oil to leak out and dry up.

Members online

Back