radio wiring diagram for 01

01LS3.9

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Where can I get the diagram for my 01? I have no subs/center speakers but I have the six disk CD HU.

This is all I have for gen I.

radio2001-1.jpg

radio2001-2.jpg

I have a '00, with the 6cd in dash, with sub. I've searched here, and googled around
for the wiring diagram...to no avail.

Basically, I'm just looking for the wire that feeds the button lights to turn them on when
it's night time. Radio works fine, but buttons don't light up at night. I think my problem
comes from the clock spring, but want to be sure.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Are you talking about the buttons on the radio?
There is no illumination wire running to the stock radio. It uses the data bus instead to get that information. For aftermarket, you'll have to wire to the info center buttons or to the light in the ashtray.

Instead, are you talking about the buttons on the steering wheel? If the backlighting is off on all of them, then yes the clockspring is a good suspect.

Yes sorry Joe, I was speaking of the radio buttons, not the steering Wheel ones.

So bypassing the bus to check if the lights turn on is more complicated then I thought.
I would need to check the buss itself ?

Yes sorry Joe, I was speaking of the radio buttons, not the steering Wheel ones.

So bypassing the bus to check if the lights turn on is more complicated then I thought.
I would need to check the buss itself ?

I think you are not understanding. The Ford data bus delivers info to the factory radios only. There will be no connection between the bus and your aftermarket radio. You will have to get the illumination signal that you need from somewhere else. If you have a V8, then one of the wires going to the message center buttons is the illumination feed that you need. If you have a V6, or if you would just rather, you can use the positive wire going to the ashtray light. Be sure to catch the signal before the little switch in the ashtray.

Don't try to connect anything to either of the data bus wires. If you do, you could mess up other stuff in the car that uses that bus.

I've used the wire at the light in the ash tray, easy to reach an get to

Sounds like he's referring to the stock radio lights not illuminating. If that's the case your only recourse is a new/remanfactured radio. They can be had on eBay regularly.

Sounds like he's referring to the stock radio lights not illuminating. If that's the case your only recourse is a new/remanfactured radio. They can be had on eBay regularly.

Oh, now I see. I bet you are right. I was just stuck on aftermarket.

I wonder if the retained power feature is also dead for him? If so, then it could be the data bus connections. If not, it's probably an internal fault with the radio. I've seen a few of those with cracked traces.

LOL. Sorry if I'm causing confusion. Yes it's my stock radio. The buttons no longer
light. The display works fine(radio station, cd disc info, etc) but, when night time comes,
I'm like a blind man feeling through the buttons to shuffle through radio stations or cd.
Yes, I can always use the buttons on the steering wheel. They are their to facilitate life
after all.:Bang

So, before I remove radio to have it checked, I wanted to see if I there was a direct feed
to the radio lights. I would of bypassed the bus, and fed a 12v current straight to the light
port of the radio, and see if they light up.

I now understand this is not possible. So, I would need to check if all bus feeds work...if this
is possible at all. So, quick question. Is it possible clock spring is preventing radio lights to come
on, as early signs of failing ? The only other function not working is 'mute', when I try to use the
one located on the steering wheel. If I use the one on the radio, 'mute' function works fine.

...So, quick question. Is it possible clock spring is preventing radio lights to come
on, as early signs of failing ? The only other function not working is 'mute', when I try to use the
one located on the steering wheel. If I use the one on the radio, 'mute' function works fine.

No, it is not. Does the brightness of the vacuum fluorescent change when you turn the lights on and adjust the dimmer wheel?
When you turn the key off, does the radio stay on until you open a door?

If those answers are yes, then the problem is internal to the radio and is not an issue with the data bus or the rest of the car.

No, it is not. Does the brightness of the vacuum fluorescent change when you turn the lights on and adjust the dimmer wheel?
When you turn the key off, does the radio stay on until you open a door?

If those answers are yes, then the problem is internal to the radio and is not an issue with the data bus or the rest of the car.

No and no. I guess the problem is the data bus.

From what I've seen with this car so far, this can't be an easy fix..LOL

Members online

Back