getting rear door panel when door is locked

jeclair

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've searched so many times & can't find what info I'm needing for a 2003 LS I've got all the screws out , 2 in handle , 2 on bottom & 1 on the side. Trying to access locking actuator so I can see why it won't open, I hear the lock making the same noise as the other but still won't unlock. How hard do you have to pull to get the door panel off ? I've got the back seat out, got the little piece of a seat that covers the shoulder belt area out but panel just won't come off, I've got the top part of panel pulled back but the rest won't give, any info or links you can tell or show me would be great ......Thank you...:confused::

once all the screws have been taken out, you do have to pull kinda hard to release the clips.

Yeah, you pretty much just have to pull. If you know you've got all the screws out for sure, just yank on it. The clips can be a real pain.

I had all my panels off this week. The clips are VERY tight. Since you can't get the door open, you can start at the top, but you will have to pull slightly up and out to get the panel over the lip. There are a row of clips that are about 2 inches below the top, so it will be very tight up there. They are loud and it almost feels like you are breaking it, but you won't be if you removed the 4 screws, window switch plate, and bezel around the door handle

Thanks , I will try first thing this morning after I eat my Wheaties, I lift weights all the time but this I couldn't move without feeling I was going to rip the door panel in half. I got the top pulled back & the top seal off, so I'm able to see down the door. My arm is so bruised from reaching down to see if I could feel the locking actuator. I guess when I remove the panel I'll have better access to the lock, but the little back stationary window seems to be in my way right now. Another question " when I break the electric lock actuator , will the door still close normal ? I know it won't lock. My wife & I have a set of 2 yr old twins that we are going to start fostering this Tuesday & I need this door to work to put the kids in the back seat, We also have our own 4 yr old so the back seat will be filled all the way across. Once again thank you everyone !!!:)

... Another question " when I break the electric lock actuator , will the door still close normal ? ...

No.
Your problem isn't the electric lock motor. You can overcome that by pulling the mechanical door lock lever on the inside. Your problem is a broken latch assembly or cable. You'll have to fix that.

where is the cable located that I can pull ? I see the cable at the door handle & I've tried to pull that with no luck but I'm also trying to do all this with the panel just pull back from the top. I will be trying to get it off this afternoon. thanks for all the help...

cool , thanks , that should help, so if the rear door latch is broken, could it be stick in the lock position so even pulling the cable manually won't open it ? I hear it when I lock the doors so something is moving inside there. Or I guess possible the cable is disconnected at the rear door latch. If I can just get the panel off It will be a lot easier to see what is going on in there, going out there to work on it in about an hour....Thanks again....John

Could be either, but usually the cable is slipping and not pulling the lever on the latch assembly far enough.

When you do get all this fixed, be sure to trip the latch with a big screwdriver or something and verify that it opens by the handle, before you slam the door shut again.

I'll definitely make sure the door opens before I close it, I just may take the door off so I know I have access to the back seat on either side...Thank you for your quick reply....John

:confused:Got panel off, what a job !! have to glue some things back on but won't look too bad lol I've pulled on cable with no luck, the cable that goes into the assembly is sealed as far as I can feel so can't tell if cable is unattached there. is there a way to get into the lock to undo it ? It's still hard to get to being to the rear of the door & the little stationary window that won't move. Even if I can put something down there to pry part of the lock off, right now don't care what happens, anyone ever go thru this on a late 2003 LS....thanks

Just read that post after going thru a search & looking for any type of answer, I'm figuring that I may have to do that, but after I get one to replace it, going over to a buddy that works in a body shop to see if he can maybe see something else he can do plus he has much smaller arms then I do so he may be able to reach in there better. thank you for all your help & I will post what I had to do so maybe it will help someone else ...

update

There is a rod with a yellow clip on it, all you have to do is push up on it & the door will release. For the time being I unhooked the electrical to the latch so I won't be able to lock it now but when I get my latch in at least I can open the door to access the door panel a lot easier.. Tried to lock door before I disconnect wiring & it did the same thing so I have to replace latch assembly. Maybe I'm lucky because of everything I've read but this worked for me :D

There is a rod with a yellow clip on it, all you have to do is push up on it & the door will release. For the time being I unhooked the electrical to the latch so I won't be able to lock it now but when I get my latch in at least I can open the door to access the door panel a lot easier.. Tried to lock door before I disconnect wiring & it did the same thing so I have to replace latch assembly. Maybe I'm lucky because of everything I've read but this worked for me :D

If you release and relock that rod to the latch, it should fix your problem. It's just not pushing down far enough with the handle, because it's not clipped on at the right spot. Of course, it slipped once, so I don't blame you for wanting to replace it.

do you think it's just the rod that needs adjusting ? I guess there is adjustment once you undo the yellow clip ? when I got it opened & than closed it again then hit the fob to lock it , the door sprung open a little & then would not open up completely so had to reach in there to push the rod again, it does seem that something is not lined up. For the time being I unplugged the electric lock but of course I get a rear door open on my display. This forum is cool. only had the car for a few months but love it, of course like many cars I've had to fix some things on it but that is to be expected being a 9 yr old car..

:confused:How does the yellow clip come off the rod ? I afraid of breaking it off. I think I'm going to try to adjusted the rod & see if the lock works normally. Everything I've broke trying to get the panel off is glued & drying so I have some time to mess with the rod.....thanks...

:confused:How does the yellow clip come off the rod ? I afraid of breaking it off. I think I'm going to try to adjusted the rod & see if the lock works normally. Everything I've broke trying to get the panel off is glued & drying so I have some time to mess with the rod.....thanks...

I wish I could help other than saying that I feel your pain. I've done this twice, and the second time I had to figure it all out again just like I did the first time. Maybe next time I'll write it down, because I can't remember now either.
It's a little easier if you remove the screws holding the latch to the door first, but you have to reinstall them before you lock the yellow clip back on.

I'm trying to search some pics of this latch so maybe it might have a pic of the yellow clip so I can see how it comes off, right now I'm doing everything by feel so I can't tell if the clips squeezes apart or you have to pry it apart. I don't think I'll forget about this !!!

If it's the clip I'm thinking of, it doesn't really come off. It swings on a hinge and locks the rod in place on the handle. It just snaps open and closed.

If it's the clip I'm thinking of, it doesn't really come off. It swings on a hinge and locks the rod in place on the handle. It just snaps open and closed.

I remember that much too, but I don't recall the trick to getting it open.

I remember struggling with it at first until I got a good look at it. If you can see it, you can figure out how it clips.

once I'm able to see it ,I'm sure I'll figure it out, trying to spend more then 10 minutes at a time on it...real bust lately,,,Thanks for the help

Members online

No members online now.
Back