what spray to find vacuum leak?

turn_on68

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Seems like I remember someone recommending was it carb. spray to find a leak in the vacuum? The engine will surge if you spray over a leaky vacuum?

Use carb cleaner. If you spray into a leak, the engine will studder for as long as the fluid is there. Spray on gaskets, seals, wherever you think there is a leak. Think about it. If it's airtight, nothings gonna happen! If there is a small vacuum leak, the fluid will get sucked in and the idle will run rough for an instant.

Check rubber lines for cracks, make sure everything is plugged in correctly, etc. Vacuum leaks are a PITA.

Or just get a propane torch, open the valve a little bit, and move it around where you think the leak is. The idle will change, it may improve or sometimes it will get worse.

Oh yeah, an UNLIT propane torch...

Or just get a propane torch, open the valve a little bit, and move it around where you think the leak is. The idle will change, it may improve or sometimes it will get worse.

Oh yeah, an UNLIT propane torch...

+1 I've always found the propane torch works better than any liquid to find leaks.

I'd love to meet the individual that uses a lit torch to find a vac leak, ROFL

I'd love to meet the individual that uses a lit torch to find a vac leak, ROFL

I've seen (and done) some stupid stuff in my life and I guarantee you that someone, somewhere actually did that (no, it wasn't me)! :p

as for ether when i was a young guy my dad ran a pound of ether to 5 gallons of gas in his race car . to break in a new engine he put a tea spoon of bon ami in each cylinder to help seal the chrome piston rings then drove it 25 miles before pulling of to have my mother pull in front to finish towing the car to the track. he waved her to pull up and she didn't move the fumes coming back in the window put her to sleep. shure was a sore subject for a while at home . just becareful when using a combustable to check for leaks. i have done it a lot. jd

Members online

No members online now.
Back