new ls owner

GrimLincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
hi guys, I been lurking around here for about 3 months, ever since I got my ls. It is a black 2005 sport, and its been a great car so far. I bought it with about 120,000 kms on it. The previous owner had all the coils and spark plugs replaced at 100,000km. It ran great for the last 2 and a half months or so but am having a few smalls concerns now.

First thing I noticed that on a cold start the car makes a bit of a squeak once the RPMS drop and keeps squeaking until the temperature gauge goes about a 1/4 of the way up. It only does this on a cold start.

Second thing is that my temperature gauge never rises above the midway mark but sometimes the car just feels blistering hot. Like if im sitting at a light with the window down and my arm out the window I can feel a ton of heat coming from the engine. The car seems to run fine just really hot.

i installed a K&N 57 series intake last night and took the car for 3 runs so far, first run was about 15 minutes and didn't drive hard at all, everything seemed fine. Then again later last night I took it again just drove it hard to see if there was any difference. The car seemed fine when I parked it last night. now this morning when I started it, it took a an extra second to fire up(usually fires up right away) I took it for 10 minute drive down the road to the store. then when I got back in it fired right away but the engire fan came and was just roaring for about 30 seconds? then stops once I start to drive.

Last thing would be that I got new brakes all around as soon as I bought the car, I let them get settled for 1000km without braking hard or anything. last weekend I drove the car hard for about 20 minutes and did some hard braking and I noticed my brakes got really hot and smelled like they were burning, and now my front brakes are squeaking really bad at low speeds(30-50km)

I know that this is a loaded question and that maybe some of this is simple stuff but this is only my second car(first one was a 1990 jimmy) and I dont have any mechanical experience or anyone really to help me out. I know this has probably been discussed on here a million times but I could really use some help. I love my ls and wanna have it for awhile. if anyone has experienced any of these problems and resolved them please let me know. thanks in advance.

1 (squeak) - probably your tensioner. Replace it and your belt. Also, check and make sure the coolant outlet pipe and thermostat housing aren't leaking. Sometimes a leak there will dribble onto the belt and cause a squeak at start up.

2. (hot engine) - Normal, the engine throws off a lot of heat.

3. (delayed start) - Could be normal.

4. (Fan) - Normal, depending on circumstances.

5. (brakes) - Sounds like they didn't bed them in for you. You would probably be best off to change it all out for OEM pads and rotors.

+1

Sounds like Joe hit the mark on the little problems good luck with the car and welcome to our LS site.
Mike

Well, I will say this:

1) Joe will be your best friend (just don't piss him off)

2) You organized a good thread with a lot of information (keep that up)

Now for the parts to keep you on our good side.

Please read through the stickies, they can be very helpful and you may not even need to start a thread and wait for an answer.

If you do search, Google search the site, the built in search is a chore to use.

Do not start 50 threads if the first one didn't get you the answer you like.

Post pictures, we all like pictures

This place seems to be a little narrow minded on mods, so expect to hear fender vents are dumb, get rid of chrome and body color everything other than the glass.

Anyways welcome to LVC, we all have a good time and don't take teasing personally, it is after all the internet.

I did my research lol..

Thanks for the replies guys. Joe Would you be able to describe a little more in detail how to check if there's a leak and how to replace the belts.

This ls is a semi project car,I jut installed my k&n intake, debadged it, painted the front grille black and tinted my tails and rear windows. I have eibachs on the way, new 18 inch rims and tires due to be here tomorrow. Also got a lse grille, rear spoiler and few other things planned. I will be getting a tune from torrie and a exhaust around September. Any other suggestions? I will post some pics tonight.. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the replies guys. Joe Would you be able to describe a little more in detail how to check if there's a leak and how to replace the belts...

Changing the belt is just something you have to get into and do. This may help.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xs350l.htm~gen~ref.htm

As misfortune would have it, I can show you an example of a coolant leak from a cracked coolant outlet pipe.

The white dots in the first picture are a give away that coolant has been spraying out. The next pictures show the leak.

2012-07-26 20.08.39-small.jpg

2012-07-26 20.09.09-small.jpg

2012-07-26 20.09.22-small.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back