How is the ride quality on 20's?

1CleanLs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Im wondering if the ride quality of my 03 premium sport will suffer a lot by going from the 17's to 20's. Also will springs from a non sport model or V6 model soften up the ride a bit? Any suggestion/comments will be appreciated! I am looking to buy a set of Sentas in a couple of months.

I've noticed it slightly, probably more if I didn't drives likes grandmas when the roads sucked. Highway I'm unsure because my last trip home they had the air pressures all jacked up from the install some were filled to 40 psi and some as low as around 30. A more suitable rim size is most likely a 19" but it's hard to beat the price of the Sentas.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference between the v6, v8, Gen. I, and Gen. II suspensions are the shocks; base, sport, and the discontinued euro shocks.

i have 20" foose speedsters on mine and i noticed there was a little difference in the ride quality. and i actually feel that the ride is better in my 2004 with the 20's than it is in my 2000 with the stock rims.

def go for it. I just put my 20's back on last weekend and could hardly tell a difference. You might lose a little in comfort, but thats because of the tires, not the rims.... and what you lose in comfort, is made up in grip and handling...

Lol arent we all... ;)

No sir....LOL. I am afraid we are going to lose our individuality if everyone joins the Sentas "Borg". Why would anyone want to look at 5 cars on the LSOM vote that all have the same wheels?

No sir....LOL. I am afraid we are going to lose our individuality if everyone joins the Sentas "Borg". Why would anyone want to look at 5 cars on the LSOM vote that all have the same wheels?

Exactly what I was thinking to myself yesterday when I decided to order sentas.. I backed out because I didn't want my car to look like everyone else's.. I will be ordering different 20's soon though as I have no chance of dropping my ride with the wheels I have now.. (+38 offset)

And to add to the topic: I bought my LS with very worn tires on the stock 17's and after buying new 20" tires and wheels my ride is much nicer now.. I only drove my car home on the stocks though ( 45min drive) and parked it till I got my new wheels so its hard for me to compare.. but I noticed a difference right away

To the OP, I run a 20 inch wheel with a +38 offset. The wheel is flush with the fender well opening and looks very good. There is going to be a bit more heavier feel in the steering wheel with a 20 inch wheel but nothing that I find a negative. I would recommend upgrading to the better brake pads and not go with the bargain types.

Ultimately, do not cheap out on tires. A very good tire is what is going to make your driving experience that much enjoyable.

On back on my factory wheels after having 20's the whole time. The only real difference to me is now I'm running over potholes and stuff like I'm invincible.

Noticing a lot of road noise with the factory tires that I don't remember them having. They aren't directional. maybe I should have marked them when I took them off to make sure they all ended up in the same position?

I had 20's that I bought used on my base 02 LS they rode OK until i got new tires that made a big difference. That one was totaled out and bent the front two rims. That said when I bought my 2000 sport i rode on the 17 " stokers till I bought a new set of 18's from discount tire and wheel. the only difference between the stokers and the 18's is my speedo is still reading fast even after going to a 245/40-18 which is what the tire guy said converted to in the book.so I guess my point is that Having had the 20's on a base model and now 18's on my sport I like the 18's better myself for ride and clearance but like the looks of the 20's better.

Glad you mention that. On here it looks like a lot of members have them. We are so widespread that we probably won't see these without going out of our way to do so, ie. an LS meet.

I agree. Just seems the buyer line for wheels seems to begin with Sentas. And do not get me wrong, I do agree that they look exceptionally good on the LS. Just do not want to see LSOM every month with a car that has them on it. Kinda kills the "make it yours" factor(which a nice set of wheels quickly does) of the LS.

The LSOM wouldn't bother me. Although unlikely, the yearly calendar (because they're not yearly already) would look funny if they ended up with all black and white cars with Sentas. Again, unlikely because it seems like most people with Sentas don't have black or white cars.

If I saw 4 cars on here with the same wheels as on my LS, I would roll my dice and get different wheels. LOL. 4 is my personal magic number. Regardless of vehicle color.

Heck, I am discussing with Bull on the extra set of Rover HSE wheels he has and I was a tad bit hesitant on even doing that. The main reason I am willing to do so is that I just had my wheels refinished a month ago and I want a decent set of wheels for the winter months if I do indeed drive the car and still want a really nice look for it.

Im wondering if the ride quality of my 03 premium sport will suffer a lot by going from the 17's to 20's. Also will springs from a non sport model or V6 model soften up the ride a bit? Any suggestion/comments will be appreciated! I am looking to buy a set of Sentas in a couple of months.

The ride will seem stiffer mainly because of less side wall on the tires. You will feel bumps a lot more but you get used to it. I can't say for sure on the shocks, I have only driven an LS with sport shocks so I don't know the difference in ride.

I am still waiting for someone with a white LS to put some gloss white sentas on it. I always liked white on white for some reason.

I like the Sentas because they look clean on an LS. I have yet to see one in southern ca with a set! Most of the LS's around here have chrome 20's.. I havent come across a nice set of wheels in the LS bolt pattern. I will decide once the funds are available.

theres a pretty big difference to be honest, BUT you quickly get used to it, you feel the bumps more, the steering is heavier, a lil bit less fun to drive etc but its no really no biggy tho. dont let that discourage you from getting new wheels

i drive much less aggressively with 20s on...

theres a pretty big difference to be honest, BUT you quickly get used to it, you feel the bumps more, the steering is heavier, a lil bit less fun to drive etc but its no really no biggy tho. dont let that discourage you from getting new wheels

i drive much less aggressively with 20s on...

Lol, that might be a good thing in my case

Members online

No members online now.
Back