Dragon fire performance ignition coil

The fact that it was listed on eBay and not the official site scared me so I came to you guys to see who else has tried these.

...and ignored everything we said....

Hi Adrian, unfortunately we just recently developed this performance coil for the Lincoln so we have not had sufficient time to conduct any testing to determine the exact specs on the coils, essentially we have designed them to match our Ford Performance coils which basically means the windings inside are just tighter which typically should result in an increase of output voltage of about 8k-10k volts. We should have specific data available in the future, i suggest you check back with us in 2-3months.
Thanks
Kevin
-AIP

How can you trust a company that states its a "performance coil" but didn't even take the time to do one benchmark test into its claims before it sent it to market (and i use the term "market" loosely with regards to Ebay).

AIP electronics seemed like a legit US company specializing in OEM/performance replacements for coils, distributors, and MAS.

Please explain what makes them seem like a legit performance company?

A legit performance part company will give data, research, and testing for what they put into a part to make it better than OEM.

I appreciate you bringing something new to the forum, and nothing wrong with trying new companies and parts... but abandoning all common sense and trying to rationalize it here wont get you to far...
You seem like a young kid trying to do the best he can, but we've all been down these roads and speak from alot of experience. Listen if you want...but there's alot of knowledge around here.

OEM and Performance do not go hand in hand. OEM is original exact match, meaning that it is "suppose" to work like the manufacturer intended. Does it always? No... This can be confirmed by all the Chinese made COPs on ebay and even now the Chinese Motorcraft COPs (sell outs). Performance parts are made above and beyond OEM. Stronger, lighter, faster, etc, etc. Hundreds of performance companies do offer OEM fitment in a lot of performance parts, but that's due to the fact that ease of use, with top notch performance, sells products. One example would be a carb to EFI kit. It would take months to build a car with universal everything, hence the need for OEM fitment. If you want performance COPs, get ACCEL 4.6 Mustang COPs and reverse your plug wiring. And who knew, ACCEL has data to back up their claims.

OEM and Performance do not go hand in hand. OEM is original exact match, meaning that it is "suppose" to work like the manufacturer intended. Does it always? No... This can be confirmed by all the Chinese made COPs on ebay and even now the Chinese Motorcraft COPs (sell outs). Performance parts are made above and beyond OEM. Stronger, lighter, faster, etc, etc. Hundreds of performance companies do offer OEM fitment in a lot of performance parts, but that's due to the fact that ease of use, with top notch performance, sells products. One example would be a carb to EFI kit. It would take months to build a car with universal everything, hence the need for OEM fitment. If you want performance COPs, get ACCEL 4.6 Mustang COPs and reverse your plug wiring. And who knew, ACCEL has data to back up their claims.

On a stock motor there really is no peformance gain in "hotter" coils. What we want like Joe said is coils that will last.

On a stock motor there really is no peformance gain in "hotter" coils. What we want like Joe said is coils that will last.
That is true. But with intake, exhaust and a tune, you may see some of the benefits. The coils that will last are Visteons. They have been proven here over and over again. I doubt that anyone would suggest otherwise.

This just in...
AIP electronics emailed me the specs as they just received them from their service dept. Unfortunately it’s in PDF and I have no idea how to put it in this thread. I can tell you that from the sheets provided the output voltage is 40-42KV over the standard 32KV Motorcraft.
From product specification sheet: OEM DG515 DG529 DG506
Primary resistance Rp: 0.54±10%Ω
Secondary resistance Rs: 5.9±15%KΩ
Primary inductance Lp: 1.5±15%mH
Secondary inductance Ls: 7.2±20%H
Rated Voltage: DC14V
Load: 25pF
RPM: 3000
Pulse width: 1.75ms
Secondary voltage 42KV±10%
Also the boot is different...the opening is smaller to not allow in impurities.
The failure rate of their entire ignition coil line is 1%
These coils 0.08%

@capio53 -- any update on these coils how are they doing are they still working the way they should or did you have to replace any of them yet. let us know your progress.

Sorry for the delay guys. A little details on my journey...

I started to invest into some other cosmetic upgrades for her and I finally completed. These may seem minor but they were huge for me:
Replaced right fender...damaged by baseball bat
Ford spoiler on trunk...awesome
Went from stock aluminum to chrome finish rims...awesome
Fixed my broken interior drivers side handle...now I don't have to put the window down (ghetto)
Replaced broken grill with another stock one...the lincoln symbol was barely hanging on
New hood to go with grill...just cause I could
Needless to say I put some money into her. My next step was intake and exhaust.
I take it to work and everyone was asking if I got a new car and I say "hell no I'm broke"

4 days later...I get into a "minor" 8 car accident...BULLish

Anyways up until that day of dispair (Aug 29th 2012) I had no misfires from those dragon fire coils that everyone disagreed with. Now I have had nothing but problems.
I believe it all stemmed from when the state trooper forced me to leave the highway because "my car turns on". I leaked out all my fluid and have no idea how my car would turn on. I took the first exit(100ft away) and then the engine shut off from overheating. At this point I would rather not go into further details as I am getting extremely pissed off. One thing I will say is he refused to write a police report.

Since the accident I have replaced:
1 trans cooler
2 radiators...one was damaged in shipping
2 Thermostats...just as a precaution
1 degas bottle
1 intake tube...will be upgrading soon
1 front bumper
1 rear bumper
1 hood
2 headlights
I am not sure what it is called but the rail that the radiator is attached to had to be bent back into place.

I will note that I have gotten a random misfire but I still have not needed to change a coil. As of today 210755 miles on her.

I am just starting to get her back to her former glory. It will just take time effort and money.
I love my car and regardless what people say I WILL NOT GIVE UP ON HER!!!
I think that I am done for today

Members online

No members online now.
Back