Engine Temp

deville98

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 98 Deville with 60K miles. The first day i had it the water pump went bad. Leaked about 2 gallons on coolant. The dealer wrote me an estimate for the water pump and the cross over gaskets. I took it somewhere else and they just said it was the water pump. Since ive had it it runs right about 200 degrees. When i idle for 5 or more min. the temp gets close to 220. Is this normal?????

That's completely normal. I have a '94 Eldorado and just replaced the radiator. It runs from about 192 - 203F and usually stays at about 196 to 201. When idling in traffic, the temp will slowly creep up into the 210-220 range. During the summer if it hits 225 the electric fan will kick on. Once you start moving again you should see the temp drop quickly to normal operating temp.

I totally agree wih MAC1. However, this is NOT true for my Deville. I have a 97 DeVille and have been having overheating problems. Mine heats up to 260 degrees sometimes. We checked the thermostat, hoses, fans, radiator. The engine is running well. No blown heads or anything like that. So now I have to keep it below 50 mph and carry LOTS OF WATER in the trunk!

pkbw said:
I totally agree wih MAC1. However, this is NOT true for my Deville. I have a 97 DeVille and have been having overheating problems. Mine heats up to 260 degrees sometimes. We checked the thermostat, hoses, fans, radiator. The engine is running well. No blown heads or anything like that. So now I have to keep it below 50 mph and carry LOTS OF WATER in the trunk!

1. I suggest checking the expansion tank lines for blockage caused by sealer or other contaminants.
2. When the engine is hot is the expansion tank cap hot as well?
3. Is the temperature sender malfunctioning and giving false readings?
4. Is the coolant diluted below the optimum 50/50 water to coolant mixture?
5. Is the expansion tank cap defective? The system needs to be properly pressurized to maintain cooling efficiency.

Northstar engines, to my recollection, will activate the "LIMP HOME" feature if the engine reaches 265. If your engine is heating up to 260, it's borderline too hot.

Be very careful constant overheating can lead to headgasket problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back