10 miles to the gallon?

buddyleee5

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i have been putting premium grade gas into the tank and have not been driving with hard accelleration. Are there any known problems that would cause this to happen? Also when i turn the wheel the power steering creaks. The car is less then a month old! i hope that there is a simple fix to this problem. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

bunch of threads on using the right gas. do a search. you should at least switch to correct gas before going any further in a diagnosis in my opinion.

I only get 12.0 mpg. So I put it up for sale on ebay.
Mine is a 2000 V-8. Hope to get 8500 for it

buddyleee5 said:
The car is less then a month old!

forgot to mention that it's an 03 v6

Uhhh, that make it way more than one month old, dude! Like most others on this board, you bought this car used didn't you? Did the dealer check the fuel system? It could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter -- after all, the car is about 3 YEARS old-- or something more complex.

On the steering, there is a known issue in 2003-2004 models with the steering wheel squeaking with a grinding sound coming from the steering column. Is this what you are experiencing?

Capt said:
I only get 12.0 mpg. So I put it up for sale on ebay.
Mine is a 2000 V-8. Hope to get 8500 for it

These numbers are WAY low and there must be a problem prompting it. On my very worst "around town with my foot in it" day, I got better than 18 mpg. My highway mpg averages 26 and change. Around town averages low 20's. Aside from the fuel filter, what could be the issue with such low mpg? (I've not noted any difference, + or -, with the CAI and Borla cat-back.)

Octane isn't going to affect your mileage enough that you will see 6mpg. I have run 87 89 and 91 octane gas and the mileage is within 1mpg(tank to tank variations) of each other. If anything I think 89 octane has a slight edge in mileage.

There is something else wrong with your LS. How many miles you got on the engine?

Could be routine things like plugs, ignition coils, O2 sensors, fuel filters, air filters, stuck EGR etc. Or it could be a manifold leak, a dirty throttle body or damage airflow sensor etc.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Yeha man tune that thing up change the fuel filter. I have an 01 with 65K miles and get 18 city and 25 hwy and I do drive like a mad man.

Jim could paraphrase that to say "expect to pay your dealership lots of $$ to figure it out."

i'm not much better. 00 v8. 77k miles. new cats, (4)o2 sensors, fuel filter, 8 plugs and coils, kkm intake, magnaflow exhaust. seems to be around 13-14 mpg around town, even with light driving. tried using D4 to see if there was a difference, but nope.

the car has less then 22 000 miles on it. i belive it is 21 750. i have filled it 4 times in about a month and i have gotten about 20 mpg and all of a sudden im getting the 10. Its under warranty so i think that it would get covered to be fixed... Right?

Mine is 01 V6 and I hardly get any better than 15-17. The wheels made a real big difference (bad), so I am not complaining.

Bring it in to be looked at. 10 miles per gallon is totally unaccetptable

I have driven my car 730 miles and filled it up 2.5 times
v8 00
you do the math

same here, get about 290-295 gallons in a full tank. 13.5 around town. i think the 20" low profiles have a part to play...

Members online

No members online now.
Back