:update: short shifter for manuals

00ls5spd

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have contacted B&M about producing a short shifter for our applications. Their office is loacted about an hour from where I live. I am awaiting a reply to see if they may use my car, as a mock up.

Is the tranny a model used in perhaps a bmw. How does one find the model
# to cross reference it.

You might have a better shot with a smaller manufacturer like Pro 5.0 in Kenilworth, NJ. They specialize in Mustang performance shifters and I know one of the guys there. I wonder if an existing Mustang short throw shifter would work.

I never heard anything...

I never heard from B&M, imagine that.....
I have kinda given up for now but if you think tour buddy might know something I would appreciate the help. We have a getrag tranny rear wheel drive 5spd so maybe he might be able to find something. Let me know.

You might have better luck looking over in Britan for a short shifter, definately more Jags made with the manual than the LS. Unfortunately the transmission is unique to the Jag and LS, so BMW parts won't work.

Looking at a stock photo, it appears to be a nice height. Not sure how much shorter you want it. The height an LS shifter is now would be considered a "short throw shifter" in most cars, like a Mustang, Camaro, etc.

Do you know which trans model is used from Getrag?

eeprete said:
Looking at a stock photo, it appears to be a nice height. Not sure how much shorter you want it. The height an LS shifter is now would be considered a "short throw shifter" in most cars, like a Mustang, Camaro, etc.

Do you know which trans model is used from Getrag?

It's a M5 221 getrag. I have searched the internet over and over about the jag trannys and who makes parts but nobody does that I can find. It's not really a sout after product I guess. I have seen short throws for the contour svt but they have different trannys(same V6 motor though) so another dead end.

Looking at a stock photo, it appears to be a nice height. Not sure how much shorter you want it.
A short throw shifter isn't just a shorter shaft that doesn't stick up very far, it refers to the distance between the top of the gear pattern and the bottom. Thus the short "throw" is the distance you must move it between say 1st & 2nd. This makes the car faster as you are out of gear a shorter amount of time.

This is something that would be hard to see looking at a photo.

Members online

No members online now.
Back