Dealer Reprogramming the Strategy?

Silver02Sport

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been getting pretty bad gas millage around 12 city and 18 highway so I took it down to the dealer. They said they "reprogramming the strategy" and got 26 MPG highway. Well for the first few days it was doing better about 15 city 20 highway (still not good but at 2.45 a gallon for 93 every mpg counts) but now, about a week latter its back down to about 12MPG :'( . So my question is what did they do when they reprogramming the strategy and why did it only work for a few days.

Adaptive strategy is not programmed...it's learned. They flashed the ECM if they did anything at all...which I doubt. I'm willing to bet the ranch you can do just exactly what they did....disconnect the battery for a few minutes which resets the ECM so it has to learn again. Try it and see if you don't have the same results.

I'm having the same problem with the bad gas mileage. I only get around 210 miles per tank and I only have the V6. It kills me. And lately, I get lucky if I get 200 miles per tank. I'm getting it checked out next week.

NVMyLS said:
I'm having the same problem with the bad gas mileage. I only get around 210 miles per tank and I only have the V6. It kills me. And lately, I get lucky if I get 200 miles per tank. I'm getting it checked out next week.

Damn, I'm getting 17/22 highway in a '00 V8 w/90k miles during the winter (in FL - haha still warm). You should definetly get it check out. I get my mileage by resetting the trip odometer everytime I fill up, I wouldn't go by what the computer says.
As far as getting lower mileage in the Winter... I know it doesn't get cold enough in Coral Springs, FL to make a difference, does it get that cold in Santa Cruz, CA, though?

Midas78 said:
Damn, I'm getting 17/22 highway in a '00 V8 w/90k miles during the winter (in FL - haha still warm). You should definetly get it check out. I get my mileage by resetting the trip odometer everytime I fill up, I wouldn't go by what the computer says.
As far as getting lower mileage in the Winter... I know it doesn't get cold enough in Coral Springs, FL to make a difference, does it get that cold in Santa Cruz, CA, though?

Im getting 15.5 cuz I suffer from a heavy foot :D

Well it was about 84 today but last week it was freaking freezing it got down in the the low 50's but all in all its been a pretty mild winter so I dont think thats it .

Can any one think of something that should sugest the shop look at. Works been kind of slow and while I would never think of getting rid of her the cost of gas is really starting to cut into our quility time. :)

slow or bad o2's, maf sensor, leaking injectors...clogged exhaust...bunch of stuff could cause. take to different dealer and have them follow the detailed diagnostic instructions. they can fix if they spend the time CORRECTLY diagnosing.

When I had my valve cover gasket replaced after one of the hoses collapsed(I don't remember the name of the hose) I was getting horrible gas milage, but no check engine light u guys might want to check into this. Just an idea

I only get gas when I need to fill up all the way. So everytime I get gas, I clear the trip and I usually get around 200 miles per tank. I'm not to sure how big my tank is because I filled up today and I put just a little over 18 gallons in. Thats the most I've ever filled up and the trip only read 220 :(

Silver02Sport said:
Well it was about 84 today but last week it was freaking freezing it got down in the the low 50's but all in all its been a pretty mild winter so I dont think thats it .

Even here in Phoenix I've noticed a difference in mileage in all three of my cars since it turned cooler. I wouldn't call it cold here either...but it still seems to make a difference. Another thing to think about is the fuel you're burning. Many states dictate a different blend during winter months to help keep pollution down. Inversions are much more commonplace during winter months. I know it's that way here...

I have a 00, I get 9.4 city driving. My 96 Camaro SS gets 15. It has a 5.7, catback, large throttlebody and ramair. The SS only has 56K on it. The LS is 3.9 and has 105K. It shouldn't be as bad as it is. I think I might just start driving that SS and get rid of the LS

:confused:

The LS gets less gas mileage than my full size Chevy pick-up with the 5.7 vortec. That has 140K oversized tires and extended cab.

Anybody offering 8500 can have this LS.

Members online

No members online now.
Back