Leaking Wheels?

jamhow

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have two tires on my 01 LS that always lose pressure. I have had them checked a couple of times and punctures are never found. The last guy brushed the rims and checked the stems--they still leak. Put in 35 psi and in a week they drop to 25. A friend told me that sometimes the wheels themselves leak air. Anyone ever heard of that and if so, what's the fix?

Yes, I have seen chrome wheels that are flaking off and leaking at the bead. It is actually kind of common with older chrome plated aluminum wheels. Especially aftermarket ones. I used to work at Discount Tires and we had this thick black :q:q:q:q that we would put around the bead. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Do you have chrome wheels?

Yeah, my Mark VIII has a wheel that leaks. It's caused by corrosion from moisture making a pin hole in the wheel. FORD acts dumb when I've asked them about fixing it, even when I showed them how it was done in the Lincoln service manual! Look for a good wheel shop in your area and they can take care of it.

Try finding a place that uses nitrogen to fill the tires instead of air. The nitrogen molecules are bigger and don't leak as bad as regular compressed air.

01lssport said:
Try finding a place that uses nitrogen to fill the tires instead of air. The nitrogen molecules are bigger and don't leak as bad as regular compressed air.
The science of that statement doesn't work. Compressed air on Earth is ~80% nitrogen, and O2 (oxygen) and N2 (nitrogen) are so close in size as to make no difference.

SoonerLS said:
The science of that statement doesn't work. Compressed air on Earth is ~80% nitrogen, and O2 (oxygen) and N2 (nitrogen) are so close in size as to make no difference.

Explain that to trucking companies who have been doing it for years.

The reason behind using nitrogen is that is better at maintaining a consistent pressure regardless of environmental factors ie...hot days, cold days, hot tire, cold tire.... This will result in better gas mileage and better tread wear.

RESEARCHERS AT FORD HAVE FOUND NITROGEN DOESN'T CAUSE RUBBER TO BREAKDOWN AS QUICKLY AS AIR.

BASICALLY, NITROGEN IS DRY, WHEREAS MOISTURE-FILLED AIR CAN CAUSE CORROSION.

"If you're inflating with nitrogen, you're going to eliminate that problem. There's not going to be any moisture in the tire."

Nitrogen is an inert gas, that means that it does not support oxidation.
Rust is a form of oxidation. Water contains ionicaly charged oxygen ions
wich accelerate this in many metals. If you would like to keep something new
for a long time put it in a container, vacum out all atmopheric air and repace
with nirogen. Then put it in a cool dark place to keep off the sunlight. Usually
the inside surfaces of wheels dont recieve much paint to protect from
corrrosion.

Members online

Back