1998-2000 Sts ???

98infinity

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Im new here...

Im looking to buy a 1998-2000 STS with the 4.6L Northstar 32V engine fully loaded. What things should I look for before buying this car? Any questions I should ask it has around 100,000 Km on it or around 60,000 miles.

Thanks
:waving:

The same stuff you always look for - everything works, body straight, no blue or black smoke (have someone follow the test drive)... When I test drove the '99 I eventually bought the first time, it was raining, and when I gave it a lil' more go juice than it needed, traction control kicked in for a few seconds - then a bunch of messages came up saying there was a rear sensor problem and tc was now disabled. I told the salesman, came back the next day, and it had been fixed. Test every switch, radio function, speakers (sounds great stock!), cd players, check the color of the oil, radiator overflow, look for melted plastic and above all zip ties - they don't come stock with any.

yeah I know what your talking about, I was just wondering about things related to the STS's anything known to go wrong or something like that like ie. tranny or wheel bearings or something like that
:steering

Definitely look for water in the trunk. Also, you can pull the codes on the car and look them up if you like. They may or may not have been cleared. It's pretty simple but I don't remember off the top of my head. I'll find a link and post it for you. Also, the procedure was described in some of the literature that came with the car, (99 STS), so you might have it in your glovebox.

Kale

I disagree, we have a good thread on how to fix it, and mine had that problem - first time I got into the trunk after a rain, wow. STS's are a great car and that'd be a real loss to miss out on it for something you could fix or get fixed.

:C

I got a 1998 model 100kmiles

I got a 1998 model 100kmiles first owner very good condition full loaded full options
dark green color
if intrested i will send deatails and price

Look for 2001 STS

I have a 2001 one year before magnetic sup/ but has the auto leveling air shocks. I have 70K on mine still runs like new, thought it is well maintained, no major problems, even fixed the trunk leak, easy.
Love the car would buy another one tomorrow. (Had it 2 years so far)

98infinity said:
Im new here...

Im looking to buy a 1998-2000 STS with the 4.6L Northstar 32V engine fully loaded. What things should I look for before buying this car? Any questions I should ask it has around 100,000 Km on it or around 60,000 miles.

Thanks
:waving:

Missed one

It looks like I owe 98infinity an apology, I missed the note in July.

Our Water in Trunk post can be found from the Seville/STS page, click on search this forum, and type it Water in Trunk. There is a little disagreement on exactly what is needed from one person to the next, but we don't have a bunch of cars to test different methods on. My fix only took about an hour.

Best of luck.

I have owned 5 Cadillacs with Northstars and have had nothing but complete satisfaction with them.I have not had of problem with them engine wise,any of them.And I owned them all for over 100K miles before trading.The power is amazing in these cars.Anytime you want to open these things up,the power is always there.Overall,Cadillacs are very reliable.I had the leak in a 1999 STS I bought before my Eldorado.Fixed my self very easily and cost me hardly anything.I have owned Caddys all my life and being in the Northeast I do have a winter beater.Its a 1990 Coupe Deville with 425K miles.Only thing I have ever replaced was the ball joints and bearings.No engine problems.Its not a Northstar but its a Cadillac so theres a little scoop for you on these cars.

Members online

No members online now.
Back