"Putter" type feeling when I drive my LS??

dunndarryn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My LS sat for a while, and now it does this weird "puttering" type thing sometimes either when I'm at a stop light & also when I hit about 55 MPH.. Anyone know what this could be? :confused:

Also, is the issue urgent? Or am I okay?

yes..we all kno what it is

what year and engine?

use the search function and look up coils

The longer you wait the worse it gets, you need 8 new coil packs and 8 new spark plugs. Well you don't need that many but better to do them all at once. Don't be a cheap ass either.

@fastmark1993 - I'v replaced the coils already, maybe 20k miles ago TOPSSS

what brand did you use?

mileage doesnt always matter with coils...when i got my first misfire, id fix it, the a couple days later, another miss, then a month or two, another miss.

how are your valve cover gaskets? any oil on the plugs when you changed them?

@fastmark1993 - I'v replaced the coils already, maybe 20k miles ago TOPSSS

Also, did you replace the spark plugs at the same time? If not, plugs damaged by the old coils may have damaged the new coils.

I honestly don't know, my mom had the car at the time that they were changed. I don't think the spark plugs were changed though, could that be causing it? I also need an oil change [bad] could that cause it? It's weird because it does it less often when I have gas in the car, but when I'm low on gas it "putters" a lot more.

I'm going to try to change the spark plugs and see what happens.. I'm 17 and the car was sitting for literally a year and now I have it so I'm just learning all of this.

Also, did you replace the spark plugs at the same time? If not, plugs damaged by the old coils may have damaged the new coils.

I honestly don't know, my mom had the car at the time that they were changed. I don't think the spark plugs were changed though, could that be causing it? I also need an oil change [bad] could that cause it? It's weird because it does it less often when I have gas in the car, but when I'm low on gas it "putters" a lot more.

might wanna change that oil now then lol
gen one v8's are prone to timing chain tensioner failure...try and prevent it at all costs lol

No worries buddy we've all been there. Heres a way to test your coils, grab a small Philips screwdriver and gently put it inside the coil get some one else to try and start the car if you get a shock its working.

How much do the coils cost, generally?

and fastmark - Thanks, do you know where the coils are located in a gen. 1 V8?

lsengine.jpg
right under that cover with the 6 bolts

and fastmark - Thanks, do you know where the coils are located in a gen. 1 V8?

Go to the top of the page, click on TECH ARTICLES next to SEARCH, and go down on the left to Lincoln LS.

Both resources at the top of page you can find a great deal of information.

...do you know where the coils are located in a gen. 1 V8?

How were you going to change the spark plugs if you can't find them?
(The coils are on top of the spark plugs, all hidden under covers.)

@joegr - that's why I asked, lol! This is all new to me. We had a horrible mechanic & all he did was fix one problem and cause another, so now I'm trying to figure this all out by myself.

Really every single question your asking is here http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=76318 and http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Coil-Replacement/
ans of course http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/search.php?

I know its stressful dealing with this, but the hour you spent asking you would have learned this and so much more... IF YOUR GOING TO FIX THIS YOURSELF YOU HAVE TO READ THIS STUFF... its an easy job but if you have no experience, It'll teach you... read through these then ask questions, itll make it go alot easier and faster....

THEN, then its running again, spend some time reading everything, I assure you, you'll need it down the road.... dont forget, knowledge is power!!!

OH, and welcome

Okay, I'll check those out. My car is running though. I've been driving it the past few days, just the puttering worries me so I just wanted to check with other LS owners directly to see what it was.

mechanically inclined at all?
its not hard to do the work, just very easy to fk some sht up (improper spark plug gap, over tightening, etc)
just make sure you take your time and understand how everything goes back together, and how tight things should be

and dont be surprised if after you fix the issue, you get a CEL (check engine light). itll most likely be for the cat(s)--catalytic converter(s)

Okay, I'll check those out. My car is running though. I've been driving it the past few days, just the puttering worries me so I just wanted to check with other LS owners directly to see what it was.

cool, Your more than likely going to have a lot of problems similar "or worrying" with the LS (nature of the beast). If you dont learn about them now. Youll end up wasting alot of time and money...

WHOA there pardner! The car sat for a year? With the same fuel? Run quality fuel to clean out any varnished parts (i.e. injectors). Find a competent shop and have them clean the fuel system. You will most assuredly need a fuel filter.

AH i missed that..... yeah, if it was sitting, outside, with gas in it, Def, want to check the filter and possibly tank... how many tanks of gas have you gone through?

Members online

No members online now.
Back