Dealership Horror Story

anovelli

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So on Friday 6/10 My coils went. Since I have an extended warranty I took it to the dealership and they said it needed a new throttle body as well as the coils. They took 6 days to fix it. So I go pickup the car today and they said "as we test drove it it misfires". So they said its gonna take 5 hrs of labor just to diagnose the problem because "some of the coils are under the manifold". but the master mechanic wont be in until Tuesday. My point of this story:
Is it true that all the coils are not in one place and it would take 5 hrs to replace 2 more coils?

Is it true that all the coils are not in one place and it would take 5 hrs to replace 2 more coils?

Is it true that you have a V6, 2003 to 2005?

Bet you didn't really need the throttle body replaced, just the bad coils.

Yes, it's true that they have to remove the upper half of the intake manifold to get to the other three coils.

It's also very, very likely that your throttle body was okay. There was a defect with some 03 and maybe a very few 04 throttle bodies, but 05 and 06 seem to all be okay.

The dealership was fooled by false codes caused by electrical noise from the marginal coils that are also causing misfires. This means that they really don't know what they are doing and didn't research anything on this issue. Bad coils causing false throttle body codes is a well known issue now with the LS.

Yeah they probaly got a p2106 dtc in there and found the tsb that mentions every single ford model out there to change the throttle body.

Stealerships suck....most of them are overpriced and count on you not knowing anything about cars. The only thing I let them do is the tranny flush and pressing the front lower ball joints. I would never buy any parts from them or let them do any mechanical work on my car. Just because they work at the dealership doesnt mean they know what they are doing.

Are you in Yonkers NY???? If so what dealer was it??? I used to work at Smith Cairns and know everyone there.

Yeah im in yonkers
thats the exact dealership I went to.
They all suck. I cant even get a loaner till the problem is diagnosed.

Stealerships suck....most of them are overpriced and count on you not knowing anything about cars. The only thing I let them do is the tranny flush and pressing the front lower ball joints. I would never buy any parts from them or let them do any mechanical work on my car. Just because they work at the dealership doesnt mean they know what they are doing.

+1
I've learned my lesson.

My Lincoln dealer certainly did not impress me. They told me there was nothing wrong with the brakes when you could hear the shims rubbing the rotor from 50 feet away and see where it was rubbing on the rotor.

I went to a Ford dealer that had a fleet sales department and the service tech's there are MUCH better. It's an Autoway of all things too.

^ Exact same thing happened to me. I've been complaining about the brakes ever since I bought the car. They always told me they we're fine until I had the time to check them out myself. Rotors are warped bad and pads need to be replaced.

5hrs is BS for taking the manifold off and replacing coils. A SOMEWHAT decent mechanic could do all the coils and spark plugs and valve cover gaskets in 5hrs. A good mechanic could take the manifold off and replace those 3 coils in 2hrs, and that's assuming it's his first time doing that on that car and he's taking his time.

I went thru this last year with my V6. If they tell you only a couple COPs needed to be replaced - don't listen to them. Get them all replaced. If you don't, you will be right back in there in a few weeks with the same problem. Just expect it to take a day for them to replace them and get it back to you. It was well over 1200.00 for mine at a Lincoln Dealership in Arlington Texas. They love to see the LS pull up. Cuh-Ching Cuh-Ching!!!

They told me my Throttle Body was bad too... but once they replaced the plugs and COPs and wiped the computer... everything was fine.

It's a good thing we have web sites like this to educate us on what to look for and what not to listen too with dealerships.

5hrs is BS for taking the manifold off and replacing coils. A SOMEWHAT decent mechanic could do all the coils and spark plugs and valve cover gaskets in 5hrs. A good mechanic could take the manifold off and replace those 3 coils in 2hrs, and that's assuming it's his first time doing that on that car and he's taking his time.

I don't know..... My best time (the third time) was 3 hours. The V6 passenger side is a bugger. Removing the upper intake is no picnic as a lot of the connections are on the rear and aren't visible. Alldata shows skill level "B" (whatever that means) and 3.1 hours for a plug change.

Go in and raise hell man!

once the car is done. I'm going to file a complaint with corporate and say he was yelling and cursing at me. I don't want them to keep my car as long as they want.
I'm so done with them its to the point where I might have to knock his teeth out.

id be goin in there cracken skulls.
hope everything works out for you.

i too will never enter a dealership premises again...friggin crooks

so car still is not ready. It probally wont be until wednesday or thursday.
3 f u c k i n g weeks to fix 4 coils is just a joke
To make a long story short I said some bad things to the shop manager and now I am driving a mkz rental until my car is done.
And yes I am abusing this car, not putting premium, redline every time I press the gas, neutral drops every hour pulling the ebrake to make turns. pressing the brake and gas at the same time making a bunny hop. I hope they like the car when it comes back to them.

NEVER GO TO SMITH CARINS In YONKERS,NY

And yes I am abusing this car, not putting premium, redline every time I press the gas, neutral drops every hour pulling the ebrake to make turns. pressing the brake and gas at the same time making a bunny hop. I hope they like the car when it comes back to them.

NEVER GO TO SMITH CARINS In YONKERS,NY

Is this really a mature way to act? What about the next OWNER that has to deal with the abuse YOU inflicted?

Not my issue. He better get a,warranty

It is as you were responsible for the way YOU treated the car. An innocent 3rd party needs to spend extra money because you are childish? I hope we never have any dealings. You are very untrustworthy!

Like I said, not very mature and VERY childish actions.

Members online

No members online now.
Back