To those that think there Mark is good in snow...

2002WRXSTi

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yeah get up @12.30am this morning and see a big plow truck stuck in front of my house :eek:

Hear the air brake going all last night so I decide to get outta bed to see what the hell is going on cause I live on a dead end. See a big dump truck spinning tires trying to rock it outta where it plowed itself into. A smaller truck plowed around him so he could get out but he never came back.

Next morning the small plow came back but couldn't move the big stuff so he is coming back with a front end loader later. This is what I am stuck with for a Mark VIII to deal with and I DO have some decent M&S tires on the rear so I don't wanna her any of the I can drive fine in my Mark BS :mad:
2011-01-27_08-59-13_578.jpg

The piles are bigger than my damn car!
2011-01-27_09-03-18_824.jpg

LOL good luck man, it looks like it sucks to be you.

This winter is one of the worst.

p_00123.jpg

Wow some snow! Michigan hasn't been hit that hard yet. I was pleasantly surprised how well the traction control kept us from going sideways. I'm just saying!
Terrance
98 lsc 255,000 miles

I hate winter so so much.

My ass is moving.

Wow some snow! Michigan hasn't been hit that hard yet. I was pleasantly surprised how well the traction control kept us from going sideways. I'm just saying!
Terrance
98 lsc 255,000 miles
You must be kidding, traction control sucks.
First thing I do is turn that chit off.

pats Brandon on the back for the help installing trac loc :)

I don't miss that shyt at all!!! You can have it...my tires grip fine...because there is no snow :)

Years ago when I traveled I was allowed to put 4 snow tires (one on each corner) as I traveled to Buffalo N.Y. frequently. and that was the hot setup to get around the area back then. I was driving a typical 4 door sedan. Id am all for global warming. LOL

Anything rwd i turn off the tc in snow. Hell if i had my choice this car wouldn't come with tc.

Wheels on backwards. If the rotation of the tire is also wrong, it can affect snow drivability greatly.

Wheels on backwards. If the rotation of the tire is also wrong, it can affect snow drivability greatly.

Whees are backwards cause I dared to let Pep Boys put my tires on :mad:

Front tires are directional but the rears aren't so I just put them on so they matched the fronts for now :shifty:

Maybe it would be worth moving the directionals to the rear? I believe directions have better traction. Just a thought.

On another note. No snow up here in the great white north! Few dustings over the past week or so. You guys are getting your butts kicked!

My TC is turned off in the tune. I don't drive it in the snow though.

Unfortunately I sold off most of my other cars so I am stuck driving the Mark thru the winter. Plus the engine is out of my WRX STi for a rebuild and these are the tires that are on it now.
WRXtire.jpg

Not really a winter tire :confused:

Maybe it would be worth moving the directionals to the rear? I believe directions have better traction. Just a thought.

On another note. No snow up here in the great white north! Few dustings over the past week or so. You guys are getting your butts kicked!

This is the directional on the front..
CIMG9024.jpg

Don't have a pic of the M&S but it is quite a bit more aggressive so I think I'm keepin it the way it is for now?

why do you think I stuck mine a barn for the winter, even with blizzaks it wasn't much different than driving with regular tires for me

My thoughts exactly, first thing I did to get it outta my driveway was TC OFF!

I have to say if it wasnt for the TC I would not have been able to get up the hills in Roxboroug PA. the hills are well coated and most 4 wheelers have issues. my only bitch was digging out the 2 foot wall the "plowking" made at my driveway and around my cars on the street. there is just no where to toss the new stuff. we had atleast 1 foot of fresh powder overnight last night in Bristol PA and the trucks were down my street 4 times. the bad, they plowed into my side of the street so the opisite side was clear my side 2 foot deep.

Ya...... keep those on the front! :)

I had snow tires one year on the Mark. Yokos maybe? I forget. But they made a huge difference in snow. Although I did have RE950s on before, so driving on rims might have even been better!

When I lived in NY I made a hotwater manifold for my driveway out of PVC pipe and a garden hose, could hook it to the drain on my water heater. I just laid it out at night and opened the drain, this would melt all the snow and ice from my drive, then lay it over the mounds on the sides to melt those, we had free electricity and water so I didn't care :) I never had to use salt or my snow blower that much. The trick is to make the drain near the street

How the hell is your car so just outta the car wash clean with all that snow around :confused:

I am a freak about keeping the dam thing clean.
Its parked in the garage, gets washed 1 to 2 times a week.

Like you I am stuck driving this thing, no choice.

First two winters without a 4x4 in about 25 years.

I washed my Sunfire 2 or 3 times a week too when I lived up there, especially when they plowed and salted. Only had it for 2 winters but there's was NO rust, not even my rotors.

A buddy and I painted inside the fins of the rotors with spray paint and the drums...it seemed to help. It's funny when i get cars in my shop from up north and i have to smack the rotor to get it loose from the hub with my hammer, and the rotor just breaks in half...hahaha

I have to say if it wasnt for the TC I would not have been able to get up the hills in Roxboroug PA. the hills are well coated and most 4 wheelers have issues.

Wait, you're telling me a Mark VIII can make it up a snow coated hill without a trac-lok?

My mark (and every mark viii I've owned, none with a trac-lok so far) has struggled with even the slightest of hills here in Milwaukee.

What happens to me is that stupid traction control will come on, stop the wheels, which usually just ends up letting the car slide back down the hill somewhat (and nearly cause an accident), which at that point I'll turn the retarded traction off and then you go no where, and at this point it's back down the hill I go.

Here is a pic of one of said hills: http://tinyurl.com/66qsx59 (tinyurl'd for your viewing pleasure)

Open differential in winter? What a joke.

I am saying that with out the T-Lok installed, I used the Traction control in my car and it climbed the hills of roxborough pretty good no real slip, I'm also not saying they are sheets of ICE either. but with the upgraded Trans in my 96, I can hear the traction control engage and feel the car grab traction better, when I turned it off the wheels would just spin out of control Seemed to me that the TC is better to use.

Members online

No members online now.
Back