Overheating

Bnewton530

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
what do you know? After going through hell with the hard shifting, I finally get my beloved car on the road and it pins the temp needle. There is coolant leaking from the right front now too. Any suggestions?

yes, my suggestion is to do a minimal search, your solution is going to be the same as every single other LS out there that has ever had an overheating problem and which happens to probably be the most common problem brought up in the last 5 years...

long story short, you will need to replace every single piece of plastic parts of the cooling system under the hood.

you're probably not going to want to spend the money to do them all, and you you will probably replace the only part that you think is the problem and then come back in a month or less asking why your car is starting to overheat again.

So I have heard. I am getting so sick of this car. What's over in that direction? It's not the thermostat assembly. It's toward the bottom. It is leaking onto the splash guard pretty quickly.

Right on ... yet another new overheating LS thread created. Don't have enough of those.

hmmm, "right front" ?!?!
as in right front when you are sitting behind the steering wheel?
~ inlet pipe, DCCV, Aux Flow Pump or rad.

Be handy if you guys post up some pics once and a while so we don't have to sit here and think about where others may be trying to describe the problem.

As already mentioned enough on this forum, the plastic cooling system deteriorates evenly over time due to excessive heat cycling. It eventually get's to a point where it springs a leak and both air gets in and coolant gets out. It's the same old same old, there is no forgiveness with this LS cooling system, it simply requires a rebuild with all fresh parts all at once.

Sure you can replace just that one part BUT then there's that next 'on-it's-way-out' part either up or downstream.

Remember when the Germans took pot shots at the Dutch dams, The Dutch ran around sticking their fingers in the holes and the Germans just fired more rounds into it until the Dutch ran out of fingers. That was funny!
Eventually they did rebuild the dams.

It's not that it's not possible to get away with just replacing that one leaking part, it's just that the rest of the system has been through the same excessive heat cycling and the brown pitting deteriorating process from the inside outwards (we'll call it "rotting"), is prone to cause failure of the next part in and about the same time.

You can actually tell from looking at any LS cooling system, the plastics, on the exterior, they go from a nice blackish, grayish new part to a brownish old ready to leak look. When the browning starts to show through to the exterior as a whole, the inside is just riddled with pitting marks and turning a light brown, yellowish color on the inside ... simply put ... rotting out from the inside outwards. Start to crumble apart. Potentiality blows a wide open crack and spews coolant all over. Degas bottle likes to develop micro-cracks on the back side, expands and contracts to either let air in or coolant out.

Chin up Newton, new repetitive overheating thread and/or love hate relationship with this LS, you're not alone. We've all been there and still going through it. Get past this cooling system rebuild and who knows you might need a window regulator or clock spring next ... it just does that to us simply due to it's age. It's getting to be a 10+yr old car after all.

2001 LS = 16yr old car
2006 LS = 11yr old car

sad but true :(

Right front = DCCV, rad (plastic side tank), hoses

Been there, done ALL of that, including the damn coolant crossover.
I'm talking hoses, tstat, degas, rad, DCCV, the whole nine yards :(

On the upside, she is purrdy. It's like with women - we see a nice face/body, and try our darndest to put up with her personality :p
lvc_back_001-jpg-828487207-jpg.828487224.jpg

Sadly a lot of my cooling system had been replaced already. I'm just hoping that the overheating didn't over stress the newer parts(I knew the P.O.). Luckily these parts aren't too expensive. I wonder if there are any aluminum versions that won't fail. Hell maybe my senior design project could be the design of these parts!

There appears to have been a huge leak at the dccv. But I'm sitting here and he car has been running for a long time and no leak nor is it overheating. Any suggestions?

There appears to have been a huge leak at the dccv. But I'm sitting here and he car has been running for a long time and no leak nor is it overheating. Any suggestions?

Yes, reply #1.

yes, my suggestion is to do a minimal search, your solution is going to be the same as every single other LS out there that has ever had an overheating problem and which happens to probably be the most common problem brought up in the last 5 years...

long story short, you will need to replace every single piece of plastic parts of the cooling system under the hood...

Anything plastic that hasn't been replaced should be. This includes the DCCV, the upper radiator hose, and probably (now that they are older) the radiator.

Do it a piece at a time and just grow to hate the car more and more. Do it all at once, and you'll probably never have to touch the cooling system again (assumes that you won't keep it another 6+ years).

Nothing aluminum available other then the direct fit JAG T-stat housing for the 1st GEN.

Any suggestions?

you can ask that question a hundred times, your options wont change.

you know you have a leak, you now know why you have a leak, you have been told what you need to do to fix the problem, you even know where the critical failure is...

what is so confusing about this?

How much would it cost do have all of that done?
What do you mean by "all of that?" Do you mean just the radiator, DCCV, and upper hose? Do you mean all the plastic of the cooling system (it's what you should mean)? Which year and which engine do you have? Do you want the DIY price or the turn-key price?

What do you mean by "all of that?" Do you mean just the radiator, DCCV, and upper hose? Do you mean all the plastic of the cooling system (it's what you should mean)? Which year and which engine do you have? Do you want the DIY price or the turn-key price?
I have a 2006 V8. I haven't had anything fail, but I just want to be ready in case it does. I hear everyone saying that they have replaced all of their plastic parts, so that's probably what I would end up doing. I think that I would be capable of doing it myself, unless it is unreasonably complicated.

Do it at your convenience, or when the car demands it. Are you sure it hasn't already been done once?
I honestly don't know, the car has 135K on the clock, and is running strong. I have had to put new coils on it since I got it last december, but have not had any other problems. I know that the last owner did the coils at one point and absolutely babied the thing. Is there a mileage where those plastics start to give, or is it just a shot in the dark?

More or less a 'shot in the dark'. I have over 160K on my '02 and the plastic parts all look original black and don't show the typical tan/brown indicators at the plastic parting lines yet. I've replaced the degas bottle and know very well that within the next several months I'll have a cooling problem just because, although I've been lucky so far, it's going to happen.

KS

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. That wya when it happens, because with the way my luck is it will, it won't be such a suprise.

I replaced all of the plastic stuff. Time for the bleed and I should be good. I found a cracked hose on the dccv that was the root of my problem. Oh well. Better to be safe than sorry.

Failures of the hoses themselves (not the plastic parts of some of them) seems kind of random. I had one throttle body heater hose on my 06 fail, but the other is still fine, as is on my 04. Be sure to follow the procedure exactly.
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

As I said before, although it's not recommended, it is possible to change out one or two of the culprit pieces and hope for the best. If it bleeds correctly and it holds for now, it's very possible to run it until the next failure.

We have to understand, some folks are on limited budgets and some will always want to try and patch it.
Other scenarios are possible where PO's had replaced degas bottle but nothing further, next guy starts replacing remaining parts.

It's not impossible ... it's whether that person can justify doing this job more then once.
We have to leave room for those that have their own opinion on this subject and let them try for themselves.

It strikes again. Several hundred dollars later and all new plastic this piece of junk has me stranded as we speak.

exactly what all parts did you replace?

and which parts did you replace them with?

also, after you filled it back up, did you follow the exact directions to bleed all of the air out of the system?

Members online

No members online now.
Back