aux pump

my independent shop temporarily removed the drier/reciever in order to remove/replace the Aux Pump.
I believe some here (most?) did not have to do that, but shop didnt charge me any extra for that and bottom line is my heat and my ac work completely fine post repair

Is there a tech article I missed for getting to the aux pump?

On gen II, it is the bottom most item behind the radiator on that side, just below the DCCV. I haven't seen, but someone said that the DCCV was on bottom on the gen I and the pump was above it.

Thanks Joe. I had the car on the lift yesterday and saw lots of stuff but didn't know what half of it was.

On gen II, it is the bottom most item behind the radiator on that side, just below the DCCV. I haven't seen, but someone said that the DCCV was on bottom on the gen I and the pump was above it.

On Gen I, the DCCV mounts to the core support at the bottom of the radiator and the aux pump mounts to the middle of the fan shroud with two bolts.
The aux pump looks like a metal canister (~2" dia, ~5" long) with a black plastic chunk on the end with one hose coming in from the side and one going straight out.

Thanks, oddball. So should I be looking from underneath the car or above?

You know, when I change the vent selection (e.g. from foot to face or to defrost, etc.) I can hear a thud of sorts. Like if you flicked a padded wall or seat. I found that kind of interesting. Does anyone else have this same problem?

You know, when I change the vent selection (e.g. from foot to face or to defrost, etc.) I can hear a thud of sorts. Like if you flicked a padded wall or seat. I found that kind of interesting. Does anyone else have this same problem?

Why is that a problem? Little flaps have to be moved by little motors to redirect the airflow. They are really quiet, but not completely silent.

I called it a problem because the only other car I had with the same thud was a 93 318i with heat problems. I never got around to fixing it because I got the LS. This isn't quiet, at least not in my opinion. It's not thunderous by any stretch of the imagination but definitely audible. But if you don't think it should cause concern then I'm comfortable in that. Thanks.

And just to give a clear idea, imagine if there was a very strong vaccuum, and you suddenly stopped the air flow, then released it. That type of sound is what I'm referring to, but a little more dense.

And just to give a clear idea, imagine if there was a very strong vaccuum, and you suddenly stopped the air flow, then released it. That type of sound is what I'm referring to, but a little more dense.

Are you getting the correct amount of airflow for each selection? Do you get more airflow for the recycle position than the fresh position (windows closed)?

Hmmm....I don't know. I will check and post when I leave work today. I will specifically pay attention to the difference between the recycle and fresh positions. I know that I can't feel anything on the floor setting but I wasn't sure how it's supposed to feel anyway. I've driven cars where you can feel air on your feet and others that you can't feel the air directly.

Are you getting the correct amount of airflow for each selection? Do you get more airflow for the recycle position than the fresh position (windows closed)?

To answer this, the amount of air seems to be the same on each setting, foot, face, defrost.

My mechanic took a quick look at it this morning. He used the temp gun thing and checked all of the houses. Each read between 130 and 156. He says the DCCV send fine since the temps are all ok before and after each mechanism (DCCV, aux pump, thermostat, at the firewall, etc.). He wants to start with just changing the thermostat. I don't want to have him just throwing parts at it since I don't have $ to blow. What do you fits think? Does the temp after the DCCV and at the firewall point away from the DCCV and aux pump being the culprit and towards just the thermostat.

...My mechanic took a quick look at it this morning. He used the temp gun thing and checked all of the houses. Each read between 130 and 156. He says the DCCV send fine since the temps are all ok before and after each mechanism (DCCV, aux pump, thermostat, at the firewall, etc.). He wants to start with just changing the thermostat. I don't want to have him just throwing parts at it since I don't have $ to blow. What do you fits think? Does the temp after the DCCV and at the firewall point away from the DCCV and aux pump being the culprit and towards just the thermostat.

I think you need a better mechanic. I was pretty sure of this, but I just tested it. With the heat off, I get those temperatures and higher on the heater lines. (Heat off = no coolant circulation in heater lines) The reason they are warm is mostly the same reason everything else under the hood is warm.

You have no circulation. We know that because you don't have heat. The reason for no circulation could be air locked (leaks in the cooling system, common), DCCV stuck closed (rare way for it to fail, but possible), clogged up aux pump (rare), clogged up screen in upper radiator hose (rare), clogged heater cores (rare), or someone plugged the heater hoses internally on purpose.

You don't seem to be getting anywhere with this. Just take it to a dealer for a $100 diagnosis fee.

Thanks, Joe. I actually thought those temps were low, which is why I posted the questions here. Guess I'll be going to the dealership. :(

Joe, I'm getting an aux pump and DCCV today (hopefully). I noticed that you did not mention the thermostat as a likely culprit for no circulation so does that mean I don't really need to worry about changing it?

sorry to barge in here with this but ...

Hey, has anyone had one of these out in their hands ?
Can someone confirm that it reads;

BOSCH
Made in Germany

1W4Z-18D473-AA <-- possibly GEN I
1W4H-18D474-AA <-- possibly GEN II

Sample: 03-06 LINCOLN LS HEATER CONTROL PUMP

attachment.jpg

lol no worries. I have not. Is that the same thing as the aux pump or something entirely different?

No from what I've looked into, it is the 18D474 aux pump, made by Bosch in Germany.
Looks to me, Ford likes to sell it as a OEM part with their name on it.

12V pump is, well .... a 12V pump.

Oh ok. I'm going to replace mine hopefully today along with the DCCV.

Must be nice getting parts from within US, should see the trouble I'm having here in Canada.
Half the companies won't ship them to Canada, can't find it in Canada other then the Stealership,
who wants me to special order it and wait for .... more then 10days.
They are getting it from the US, no doubt.

$249.08 CDN the Stealers here in town want for this little 12V pump.

It's a Bosch product from what I can see and it has it's own Bosch part number on it.

I just can't make it out ... *****29, looks like 19029 but I don't get anything on that P/N search.

You can almost make it out just directly below the "Contents made in Germany" writting.

pump2.JPG

pump3.JPG

It is the pump I need for the GEN I

When you get yours, can you have a look at the Bosch part number if any ?
Are you getting OEM ?

pump2.JPG

pump3.JPG

I might have to ship it to my Snow-birding folks in FL and have them gift ship it to me.

Members online

Back